Gibson Brands Forums

Did you guys try Chat GPT?

Mr. C.O. Jones

First application that came to my mind was this:

Does the wood-type have a tonal influence in an electric guitar?

Yes, the type of wood used in an electric guitar can have a tonal influence on the sound produced. The primary tonewoods used in electric guitar construction are maple, mahogany, alder, ash, and basswood, each with its own distinct tonal characteristics. For example, maple is known for its bright, snappy sound, while mahogany offers warm, rich tones. Alder produces a balanced and even tone, ash offers enhanced sustain and bright harmonics, and basswood offers a well-rounded sound with a strong midrange. The choice of wood can also affect the sustain and resonance of the guitar. However, it's worth noting that other factors such as pickups, hardware, and construction also contribute to the overall sound of the electric guitar.

Followed by:

Is only a Gibson (guitar) good enough?

No, only a Gibson is not necessarily good enough. While Gibson has a reputation for making high-quality guitars, there are many other guitar brands that also produce great instruments. Factors such as personal preference, playing style, and budget can all influence what guitar is "good enough" for an individual. It's important to try out different guitars and find one that feels comfortable to play and produces the desired sound. Additionally, some guitarists may prefer to play guitars from small, boutique brands or vintage instruments, rather than a well-known name like Gibson. Ultimately, what makes a guitar "good enough" is subjective and can vary from person to person.

Another one? 

Wich is the most ICONIC electric guitar brand?

One of the most iconic electric guitar brands is undoubtedly Fender. Since the introduction of the Telecaster in 1951 and the Stratocaster in 1954, Fender has had a significant impact on the sound and style of modern music. These guitars have been used by countless legendary guitarists such as Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and many others. Fender also produces a range of other iconic guitars such as the Jazzmaster, Mustang, and Precision Bass. The company's guitars are recognized not only for their distinctive sound but also for their elegant and timeless designs, making them a symbol of rock and roll culture worldwide

• Thanks 1

Hmmmm....

Which stringing method is best for a Les Paul guitar, standard or top wrapping over the tailpiece?

The stringing method for a Les Paul ultimately comes down to personal preference. Both the standard method and the top-wrapping method (where the strings are fed over the tailpiece before being secured with the stopbar) have their advantages and disadvantages.

Standard stringing is the most common method, and it allows for easy string changes and adjustments. The angle at which the strings break over the saddles can also provide more sustain and a brighter tone, as there is more pressure on the bridge.

On the other hand, top-wrapping can create a smoother break angle, which can result in a warmer, more mellow tone. Some players also find that it provides better tuning stability and eliminates the need for string trees, as the strings are secured closer to the nut.

Ultimately, the best-stringing method for a Les Paul guitar depends on the player's preferences and the sound they want to achieve. It is recommended to try both methods and see which one provides the desired feel, sound, sustain, and tuning stability for the individual player.

This is a good one, I'm laughing me bottom's off!

Is there a tonal difference in the plush used in Gibson hardshell cases?

There is some evidence to suggest that the type of plush used in a Gibson hardshell case may have a subtle effect on the guitar's tone. The plush lining of the case can create a microclimate around the instrument, which affects the way it vibrates and resonates.

Some players and experts believe that the older, thicker plush materials used in vintage Gibson cases had a fuller, warmer tone compared to the thinner, modern plush materials used in newer cases. However, this is a subjective matter and difficult to measure.

In general, the type of plush used in a guitar case is unlikely to have a significant impact on the overall tone and sound of the instrument. Other factors, such as the type of wood, pickups, strings, and playing technique will have a much more significant effect on the sound.

What is the difference between a frog?

I'm sorry, but the question "What is the difference between a frog?" does not make sense. Please provide more context or clarification.

How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb?

One, but they have to keep shifting their position to reach the light switch.

I will only be interested/worried when they start saying that the AI is conscious. Then we really should be worried..  But who knows, maybe it will be the making of us and the AI wont just try to kill us all like they do in the films.. Maybe it will try and helps us and we end up in golden human/computer age...

Interesting days ahead, thats for sure.

23 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I know you're joking but I'm sure tired of that narrative.  That everything was the golden era except this.    

But, I wasn't joking.  Nor suggesting there was some other "golden era" sometime.   One only need spend five minutes on FaceBook or other "social media" accessible from some "app" to clearly see real intelligence is in frightening decline.   Another clear indicator is the fact it seems too many these days haven't the slightest idea how to operate a motor vehicle sensibly.   Gone are the days one had to be really old or really young to drive a car like an idiot.  Now it seems everybody is getting into the act.   Just yesterday I was stuck behind a fool with a "topknot" doing 50 mph in the left lane of the freeway!  Took me ten minutes or so to go around him since the traffic in the center and far right lanes was going faster. (probably the 70 mph limit).   🙄

Whitefang

21 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

So you're going to Facebook and wondering why the people there aren't showing great intelligence?   🤔   That's like going to Walmart and deciding the entire country is fat and wearing sweatpants. 

You think driving ability is in decline?  If that's the case, the accident statistics must be going up right?  Any source for that data?    And what year do you suppose this increase started?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year

1.  That so much of the country's population are on Facebook is enough proof.   That and "distracted living" via their phones.  I'd need five or six extra hands in order to have enough fingers to count how many times a day I see people walk into traffic, doors, walls and me while they're too busy "nosediving" into their phones to pay attention to what they're doing. 

2.  Just a short drive from my house to the grocer's I patronize will reveal an inordinate amount of people who must have been good enough on their knees in order to get a valid driver's license.   My daughter(the younger one) calls me each day she drives home from work.  Twice a week since she only goes into the office twice a week since the pandemic.  Works from home the rest of the week.  And hearing her voice her frustration with the p*ss poor driving of the cars surrounding her on the freeway is also enough proof for me.   That you don't seem to notice this could mean that you too, are part of the problem.  [cool]

Whitefang

20 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

That's amazing.  You see people walking into random objects daily because they have their nose in their phone while I have never seen that happen in person ever.  Anyone else?  🤔

"people who must have been good enough on their knees in order to get a valid driver's license"

Wait .... what?  Yeah that's a terrible thing to say about other people based on "My daughter (the younger one) calls me each day she drives home from work .....hearing her voice her frustration with the p*ss poor driving of the cars surrounding her on the freeway is also enough proof for me."

1.  That's a second hand account

2.  That the terrible drivers follow her around could mean that she too, is part of the problem.  Perhaps she should put down her daily in-transit phone calls and concentrate on her driving?  😉

1.  It happens all over.   I've read that in London, England  the city has put up guard rails curbside and padding around utility poles because of people too busy texting and otherwise looking down at their phones instead of watching where they were going and getting hurt.  The guardrails are to prevent them from walking into the street.

2.  Nobody said terrible drivers were "following" my daughter around.  She simply reports what she observes and has to deal with.  And her car is set up to where she doesn't have to hold her phone in order to converse on it.   So she can keep both hands on the wheel when having phone conversations.   And being stuck behind someone doing 45-50 mph in a 70 mph zone doesn't really make her part of the problem.  

3.  For your "first hand" account, I can tell you that last night, on my way home from the store, I saw  (1)-- a man in the second car approaching a stop light stop three car lengths behind the first car at the light.  AND preventing the car behind him to pull into the parking lot of a shop the third car was obvious  wanting to enter because the second car was back far enough to prevent him from being able to.  (2.)-- While heading Southbound on the way home I observed a car in the Northbound left turn lane, with his left blinker on, make a right turn!  Like I said...

Good on their knees.

Whitefang

3 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

I hope no one in here is actually stupid enough to believe guard rails and padding have been installed in London because of people with phones +:-@

You mean like this?  [wink]

https://www.engadget.com/2008-03-06-padded-lampposts-for-distracted-texters-being-tested-in-london.html

22 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Apparently some people have never seen a bad driver before and think it's a new trend.  Never been to New Jersey I guess.  

So apparently the problem is nationwide.  I've always seen bad drivers.  They've always existed. All I'm claiming is there seems to be much more of them now than ever.   I've noticed the increase soon after most high schools in the tri-county area of Southeast Michigan dropped summer driver's education courses.  That was about 35 years ago.  So, if you're OK with a majority of bad drivers being the norm,  then it must be a "birds of a feather" camaraderie.  [cool]

Whitefang