Gibson Brands Forums

Bargain!

jdgm

Here you are -

https://www.themusiczoo.com/products/klon-centaur-gold-horsie-short-tail?goal=0_63363c100e-65e3875ee5-263687321&mc_cid=65e3875ee5&mc_eid=779a2e7ab7

A snip at $7499 but no box.  😲

Didn't a Kurt Cobain guitar pick go for $14k last week?

What have you seen recently with a hair-raising price on it?

I got two words for that pedal at that price. One starts with F and the other is No.

To be fair the pick was signed by the junkie, and he drew a tortoise on the other side.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, jdgm said:

Here you are -

https://www.themusiczoo.com/products/klon-centaur-gold-horsie-short-tail?goal=0_63363c100e-65e3875ee5-263687321&mc_cid=65e3875ee5&mc_eid=779a2e7ab7

jdgm,

Things in our little corner of the world with hair-raising prices on them?

Houses.

Apartment rentals.

Supermarket food items.

Restaurant meals.

I'll leave it to others to kvetch about expensive guitars.

RBSinTo

4 hours ago, jdgm said:

Here you are -

You can set up payments for $260 a month. [unsure]

On 7/8/2023 at 11:29 AM, merciful-evans said:

Naive question here.

What does it do? 

or is that irrelevant?

The original Klon is a mild overdrive which has gained a legendary rep as a boost to a valve amp.

Good explanatory article here -

https://blog.andertons.co.uk/learn/klon-centaur-the-worlds-most-expensive-pedal

Is there some rare-earth materials in the circuit for that price...  If one had a schematic, could they easily replicate the design?  Special resistors, caps, semiconductors?  I see kits online to easily construct a replica...  Garbage? 

But geez, that's insane to me to have to spend 3/4 of $10k for something you stomp your feet on.  Is there $7500 worth of tone in there?  Hate to spend that much and get let down that the tone it provides isn't what I expected.  But hey, to each and to their own...  If this makes someone happy, who am I to judge. 

15 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Is there some rare-earth materials in the circuit for that price...  If one had a schematic, could they easily replicate the design?  Special resistors, caps, semiconductors?  I see kits online to easily construct a replica...  Garbage? 

But geez, that's insane to me to have to spend 3/4 of $10k for something you stomp your feet on.  Is there $7500 worth of tone in there?  Hate to spend that much and get let down that the tone it provides isn't what I expected.  But hey, to each and to their own...  If this makes someone happy, who am I to judge. 

Its silly. It looks like the seller is making a desperate bid to exploit someone with more money than sense. 

On 7/8/2023 at 5:29 AM, merciful-evans said:

Naive question here.

What does it do? 

or is that irrelevant?

I’m with you.  Have no idea what I’d use it for.  I get lost with all the music gear if I need to do much more than plug it into the wall and then into my guitar.

• Upvote 1

The internet was becoming more and more a thing.  There were "modders", guys you sent your pedals to and they tweaked them and sent them back, you now had a Fuller modded blah blah blah.  There were a few boutique amp makers getting known because of the internet like Roccaforte and Mark Sampson.  Klon was just another boutique pedal that gained a cult.  They were 800, a thousand maybe, back then.  Stupid money for a pedal that most of us thought didn't really do anything.

It's funny about all that money to step on it.  I remember many nights at a bar called JD's in Smithville NJ.  A guy we knew in a great band used a Charvel/Jackson guitar into an old Traynor.  Up on a table he had two(2) Klons.  He operated them by hand.  He also changed the batteries in both every set.  Every night out he did this.  Crazy.

rct

Reminds me of those little Peavey "Decade" practice amps. I bought a used one for my daughter for $30.00.

Later on I hear they're selling for many hundreds of dollars because some guy used one.

There's a sucker born every minute. 

I bought the cheapest clone you can get, a Mosky Golden Horse.   Was under £20 (GBP) so worth a try.

Didn't like it though I should have tried 'stacking' it before another OD pedal.  

Edited by jdgm