Gibson Brands Forums

Guitars & amps - perfect pairings

Tim Plains

When I started collecting gear, this is what I was after.

The 'basics' of rock and blues, so to speak.

Should cover most everything I play with ease.

2636925094_e702e393fd.jpg

Is there bigger, better, badder, vintage, more expensive stuff out there?

Sure, but this is a damned good start.

When I started collecting gear' date=' this is what I was after.

[img']http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3265/2636925094_e702e393fd.jpg[/img]

Neo you would be hard pressed to find any setup that dollar for dollar is going to be bigger, badder, or have those sounds. You can spend more money but who wants to do that when have a great setup.

CW

What Jesse said about P90s and the other said about Les Pauls and Marshalls.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Fender Blues Junior. Since it's a master volume amp, I feel it should be able to get a great heavy metal sound... which it does not. However, with just a touch of overdrive, it sound beautiful with both my 57 RI Strat and 52 RI Tele. It also does well with a clean to slightly overdriven sound with my LP, but it just sings with the Fender guitars.

... or what about Fender and the other guitars out there?

In my book, humbucking pickups don't sound good through Fender amps - unless you want a real clean sound.

I don't want a clean sound from the humbuckers, so my Gibsons generally go through a Marshall amp - not a Fender.

Fender guitars through Fender amps in my rig - beautiful clean sounds and the TS-9 for that SRV type thang.

The only exception, in the case of my own gear, is a '70 Fender Princeton (non reverb) that sounds amazing on 10 with a Les Paul - a killer Chicago type blues tone.

What Jesse said about P90s and the other said about Les Pauls and Marshalls.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Fender Blues Junior. Since it's a master volume amp' date=' I feel it should be able to get a great heavy metal sound... which it does not. However, with just a touch of overdrive, it sound beautiful with both my 57 RI Strat and 52 RI Tele. It also does well with a clean to slightly overdriven sound with my LP, but it just sings with the Fender guitars.[/quote']

Now that my Blues Junior has been modified, I can get that Gary Moore-like tone from her. I usually keep the master volume on 2. I get a hint of crunch through my Fulltone OCD. I am pretty happy with my setup right now. I might do a speaker swap and a reverb tank swap.

A lot of people probably think it is a waste to modify these amps. I think it is fun to tweak an amp. Keeps me busy. You also learn a ton from modifying them.

The obvious has been stated already - Les Paul + Marshall

I think anything thru some Dumble amps - I say "some" because it seems that all of his amps are a little different base upon who he was building it for.

I've been investigating Train Wreck amps too - Fender Tele + Train Wreck = cool tone

Check out some Brad Paisley work (he uses Dr. Z too so you have to figure out which is which)

When I started collecting gear' date=' this is what I was after.

[img']http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3265/2636925094_e702e393fd.jpg[/img]

Neo, pardon my ignorance but what model head is that Marshall? I've been trying to find something without a whole ****-ton of knobs and switches, and from what I can gather by reading this thread, the tone is mighty awesome.

Now I'm curious.

Archived