Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Way to Spend New Year's Eve

SGplayer1994

We have our oldest friends over for dinner and brownies and bud. We reflect on our lives in 10 year increments, recalling a most memorable experience from '99, '89, '79, '69 and 1959. I was only a year old in '49 so don't have much in the way of conscious memories that far back. Then we all sit there and have a good laugh at ourselves for being such fossils. By 7:30 or so we're pretty done in. [woot]

I'm not sure whether to cast my vote for "Playing My Guitars" or "Other". I've had a standing New Years Eve concert gig for about 7 years now, http://www.grandcenter.org/firstnight/ , before that it was a standing nightclub gig for a few years with another band. So I guess I spend most NYE's "working". That's OK, it keeps me out of trouble.

Our current NYE concert engagement gets us finished at 9:00 p.m., about 9:15 we'll be driving out of downtown, and by 10:00 we'll all be safe in the 'burbs at a bandmembers house for a little band/family party to ring in the new year. So I guess I get the best of both worlds, a nice paying gig, AND New Years Eve with family and friends.

I prefer to play NYE gigs! Usually have good crowds, and

they're in a decent mood, most of the time, too. I'm playing

one, this year...9 PM to 1 AM, at the local Bar/Grill. Not another

gig, going on...for at least 50 miles around, so we should have a decent

crowd! Hope so, anyway.

Cheers,

CB

Gigging, like I have done every year since I was a sophomore in high school (except one, thanks to that )%*@^&! double-crossing agent).

At the stroke of midnight I'll have my sax in my hand, playing Auld Lang Syne, my best friend/lover/band-mate by my side, and an hour or so later go home with a pocket full of money. It doesn't get much better than that.

I voted "other" because it's more than just playing my guitar. It's playing my guitar, my saxophone, my wind synth, my flute, singing, and being the life of the party.

Notes

Archived