Gibson Brands Forums

Things you do before a gig that you only do.

dem00n

Wow, what a thread to find after I was getting stuff ready to go do a Gig tomorrow. Packed up the PA, got my amps ready for travel, Got all the cables in the proper bags, put my pedals in the case, put my Guitars in their cases, put the mics in their little bag along with the percussion instruments, then put all the mic stands and guitar stands in one spot, ready to go on the truck tomorrow.

I guess that's my pre-gig ritual. Oh Yeah, and plenty of coffee and a good lunch in the day, and a beer in the second set.

I'm using some Fender medium pick with the Hard Rock Cafe's logo on them that my Niece got me when we went to the Hard Rock Cafe in Vegas last week. I'm using three of those.

I run through a few pieces, sitting where I am going to be sitting in the concert. This is usually a couple of hours before.

Then I go for a pizza lunch, usually with my wife or a friend; then come back to the venue, maybe thirty minutes early and just sit in a room on my own, sometimes with my wife, keeping my fingers playing scales etc.

Usually about this time I get a pleasant adrenalin rush and I start thinking "I am going to love this; I am going to go out there and play the hell out of my guitar!"

Matt

Alright then. Sh*t,I wasn't gonna reply to this but...

I USED to grab a beer;get to know the management/venue-barstaff(VERY important);soundcheck;work out any kinks in new songs/sounds;work out set list(as needed);get directions to accom;get food;eat;shower;watch tele etc. etc. then on with the show...This was when I had our own crew...everything changes drastically when your slugging and chugging the FOH etc. yourself obviously,but noone wants to hear about the drudgery...and I don't wanna be remindeding myself.

I got to agree with Neo on that one. Especially since we often play 3 or 4 hours without a break.

I've been gigging for so many years, that there is no ritual involved. I look forward to them, I expect to have a lot of fun playing music, and it's what I do for a living. -- Life is good.

Notes

I used to slam an energy drink and warm up by bouncing in place and swinging my arms like a boxer before the big match. The goal was to get as amped as possible so I tear up the stage. People pay to see a show so I am going to give them one. They may not like my sound, but they will be entertained.

Last night was my first performance in over a year. Set was short (10 min; 3 songs for an Alex Chilton b-day show) and I was filling in on drums so I just channeled some Keith Moon faces without the aid of stimulants.

Play every set like it will be your last because you never know. A bus or some jerk off with a knife could be waiting around the corner.

Archived