Gibson Brands Forums

22 Days Sober.....

Murph

This ain't so tough......

[blink]

Drug free for over a decade.

No tobacco for over 2 years.

Congratz.... we all have vices.... we just need to choose them better. You know... choose vices that pay you back, (like buying guitars). My wife says, "At least you don't have a girlfriend", (but I do.... several....and I keep them in cases all around the house).

Back in my gigging days I woke up one morning (at my customary 1pm) went to the refrigerator, grabbed a beer (my usual routine), took one sip, and out of the clear blue sky said to myself "bulls*&t! Enough of this crap!"

That was 26 years ago and I've never had a sip since. Nor have I ever craved one.

The best decision I ever made in my life.

Gave up drinking and smoking (anything) on the same night (July 1972, at age 22)...outside of a bar, that

we were playing in. Just didn't seem worth it, in so many ways. Haven't missed it, at all, since. Did a bit of

"experimenting" in "Hallucinogens," in the '60's...but, nothing too serious, and not for long. I guess I don't

have an "addictive, personality?" Except, for guitars, that is. ;>)

So...Good for You, Murph! Congratulations!

CB

When I was 20-21, the environment where I worked was heavy on alcohol consumption.

Almost everybody in the place.

One day the big boss came in looking beat up. Turns out he was at a party, went to his car to sleep a while. Woke up, got out to return to the party. Problem was, a buddy was in the process of driving him home.

That pretty much convinced me that the bar every night after work, or playing and taking drinks, plus... anyway, it was more than enough and I didn't want to be there when I got "old" in my 50s.

So I got a job in another town where there wasn't the drinking ethos. Quit for a year. Also quit cokes and coffee a year. Didn't miss either after the no-coffee headaches went away. <grin>

Now I'm at 4 pots of coffee a day, maybe a bottle of Scotch every 6-8 months of sips. Almost never beer unless it's extremely hot and dry outside and I'm at an outdoor "event" and not working.

Smoking... yup. As has been said, it's a taste I enjoy, but it's in small cigar rather than cigarette form.

I confess, however, to being a "cookie monster." <grin>

m

I quit Smoking Cigs about 10 years ago. If you can Kick that you can Kick this.

I know you're "Murph" and don't need much Advice on drinking and playing, but you're gettin' some anyway. As you kick the habit, play your guitar TWICE as much as you normally would. You don't want your lack of Drinking to translate into a Lack of Playing. Often when addictions are coupled with our favorite things to do, they are difficult to separate after we quit. I've known a lot of Musicians that gave up Music because they quit Drinking, and just couldn't do one without the other.

I don't think I've ever had the desire to quit drinking.

But drinking isn't a problem for me. I don't do it regularly.

I don't get drunk and I certainly don't have a problem drinking a little beer or wine now and again.

But it's not about me. It's about you Murph.

Good luck. Keep it up.

My best friend has been sober for 16 years now and he used to be quite the drinker. Look what he's doing now.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufRw5G6m0pc[/YOUTUBE]

I know you're "Murph" and don't need much Advice on drinking and playing' date=' but you're gettin' some anyway. As you kick the habit, play your guitar TWICE as much as you normally would. You don't want your lack of Drinking to translate into a Lack of Playing. Often when addictions are coupled with our favorite things to do, they are difficult to separate after we quit. I've known a lot of Musicians that gave up Music because they quit Drinking, and just couldn't do one without the other. [/quote']

This has been a hidden fear. Good insight, pal. I'm between projects so I'm not gigging right now, this helps. I'm taking a trip soon and won't have to deal with gigging clubs for at least a few months.

But, I'm spending a lot more time with the acoustic.

Thanks to all of you for your support.

Murph.

This has been a hidden fear. Good insight' date=' pal. I'm between projects so I'm not gigging right now, this helps. I'm taking a trip soon and won't have to deal with gigging clubs for at least a few months.

But, I'm spending a lot more time with the acoustic.

Thanks to all of you for your support.

Murph.

[/quote']

i had this too. i was sooo afraid i'd lose my edge by being sober. whatever i lost, wasn't worth keeping. i gained clarity which is, at first, scary but now i can go out and play my best and remember it all instead of being a train wreck by night and a hungover ahole with no recollection of any attempt at greatness from the night before. you are doing the right thing. keep it up.

I guess I'm just damned lucky in that regard.

Never smoked in my life - not ANYTHING.

I'm the only one in my entire extended family who didn't smoke - allergic as hell.

Alcohol runs in my family like rainwater, and that's another one that never snared me.

Drank like a fish thru high school, but I never craved it.

If I was working lotsa hours or going on dates, I never touched a drop.

Once I began operating a crane at 19, I just quit drinking.

I never made the actual decision to "quit" but I just drank less and less until I realized it had been MONTHS.

I might drink a case of beer in a year - for 25 years now.

Did a bit of "chemical research" in high school but, nothing serious, and not for long.

I had older siblings who stayed in it for years, I was working all the damned time so I needed the sleep.

I guess I don't have an "addictive' date=' personality?" Except, for guitars, that is.[/quote']

I agree 100%, and as CB sez, Good for You, Murph!

My Mom finally kicked smoking (after a dozen tries) at the age of 70, so I can imagine how tough it can be.

Archived