Gibson Brands Forums

Your kind of music?

morty

hey' date=' guys just thought i would post a thread about what your favorite music/ bands are, be cool to see what the majority of Gibson players like

thanks![/quote']

Is this some sort of market research thing?

Reminds me of one of the questions on the warranty form...

Here's some bands I'm digging these days:

Graveyard

Early Man

Shrinebuilder

Kyuss

Buckethead

Iron Maiden

Between the Buried and Me

Gwar

Alamaailman Vasarat

Baroness

Black Mountain

Faith No More

Mr Bungle

Tomahawk

Secret Chiefs 3

Leo Kottke

Muddy Waters

Peeping Tom

Praxis

Yup...pretty decent list....

Almost anything that combines pop hooks and noise: The Velvet Underground, My Bloody Valentine, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Dum Dum Girls, Lush, Deerhunter, Sonic Youth, Nels Cline, Wilco, Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd, John Frusciante, etc.

I also love dirty, Chicago style electric blues: Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Paul Butterfield w/Mike Bloomfield, etc.

And some rock: T. Rex, Gn'R, Slash, Sex Pistols, the Who, AC/DC, Spiders From Mars era Bowie, the White Stripes, Dirt Bombs, etc.

Vivaldi, Bach, Flamenco, 20s-forward blues of all sorts from acoustic to electric, swing, 50s pop, 50s-60s rock, 20s-70s country, folkie stuff of all sorts, some bluegrass, some jazz...

Hmmmm....

m

My list would take up many pages but I'll keep it simple.

Blues (Expecially Texas Blues)

Jazz

Folk Rock (specifically)

Rock (not that modern crap)

Classical music (Love it!)

Fusion Jazz (great stuff)

Flamenco Guitar (I can not get enough of it)

Some metal (Is there such thing as "light metal"? I don't like too much distortion)

A lot more...

I just like stuff that's written well. I'm a sucker for a good riff. Usually it's some form of metal that I like, but not always. I just went to a Bluegrass show a few months ago with a buddy of mine. That ignited an interest in flatpicking. -Talk about tough.

Like Twiz, I like any music if it is well written and well played. I love a good melody, but I don't like "nice" music; it's gotta have an edge. Even classical music (which I love, but don't listen to much anymore) can have an edge.

I especially love the blues, jazz (all types, including big band and swing, esp. guitar), fusion, blues-rock, '60s and '70s rock (but I'm tired of the "classic rock" that you hear every day on the radio), early punk, and bluegrass.

Don't usually care much for modern country or rap. Haven't heard much newer metal.

Live music in almost any style: acoustic rock, barbershop, classical, folk, jazz, pop, rock, etc.

Recorded: west-coast rock a' la Jimmy Eat World & Switchfoot, pop rock like U2 & Coldplay, or mellow guitar stuff like Nickel Creek & Andy Mckee

My taste in music spans over a pretty wide field of genres.

My bands music is loosely similar to Pinback, Pixies, Mogwai, and Modest Mouse. And when I say loosely I mean loosely. Were not trying to emulate these bands in any way it just comes out that way. I guess were a product of what we listen to.

Evol- I saw Deerhunter open for another band I was seeing. They were great! They played an awesome show and their music was unique and interesting. I also saw Sonic Youth a little while ago. That was the best show ever.

Primarily blues based but bands I like and are on my ipod are:

Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, G'N'R, Van Halen, The Beatles, ACDC, Heart (70's only), Deep Purple (David Coverdale version), Free, Bad Company, Thin Lizzy, Aerosmith (70's), Black Sabbath (Ozzy's years), Boston, Blue Oyster Cult, Cream, The Doobie Brothers (but only up to 1980), The Doors, The Eagles, Nazareth, Uriah Heep, Metallica, Queen, The Rolling Stones (1968-1975), Steppenwolf, Ten Years After, ZZ Top (70's only)

I love many different types of music, but like Zig Zag, it's got to have an edge (and no, I don't mean David Evans from U2.) I hate "mellow." I can't stand and I can't handle "mellow" or "nice." To me it's just lethargic.

Favorites of mine include Rush, Rory Gallagher, Alvin Lee/Ten Years After, Grateful Dead, Ted Nugent, Johnny Winter, The Beatles, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Bob Dylan, Wilson Pickett, Ray Charles, J.S. Bach, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Gustav Holst, The Allman Brothers Band, Otis Redding, Booker T. and the MGs, Paul Gilbert, Benny Goodman, Return To Forever, The Ventures, Gary Hoey, Queen, Leonard Cohen, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Louis Armstrong, WAR, Tony MacAlpine, Count Basie, Parliament/Funkadelic, The Weather Report, Andrew W.K., Blue Cheer, Humble Pie, Cream, Foreigner...aw, hell. There's a lot of good stuff out there.

Archived