Gibson Brands Forums

Is it just me?

yoda

I mean this with the utmost respect. They are amazing musicians, masters of the craft if you will.

Gary Moore

Jeff Beck

Yngwie Malmsteen

~insert guitar master~

ETC.

I can take about 5mins then I want to shoot myself in the head. I becomes some sort of boring snooze fest for me. I get it already, you are really good at the guitar. I like "catchy" short and sweet songs. Not long drawn out "let's show them how will I can play my guitar" masturbation fests. Don't get me wrong, I love a good solo. Just not the whole song as a solo. I'm not broad brushing all guitar masters, I don't feel as though all of them do it.

I my first guitar teach took the approach of "sometimes what you don't play is more important than what you do play".

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, I realize it is a matter of personal preference. I was just curious if anyone else feels the same way.

Aimee [lol]

I mean this with the utmost respect. They are amazing musicians' date=' masters of the craft if you will.

Gary Moore

Jeff Beck

Yngwie Malmsteen

~insert guitar master~

ETC.

I can take about 5mins then I want to shoot myself in the head. I becomes some sort of boring snooze fest for me. I get it already, you are really good at the guitar. I like "catchy" short and sweet songs. Not long drawn out "let's show them how will I can play my guitar" masturbation fests. Don't get me wrong, I love a good solo. Just not the whole song as a solo. I'm not broad brushing all guitar masters, I don't feel as though all of them do it.

I my first guitar teach took the approach of "sometimes what you don't play is more important than what you do play".

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, I realize it is a matter of personal preference. I was just curious if anyone else feels the same way.

Aimee [lol

Not huge on instrumentalists. The only person I can really listen to is SRV, but to me, his guitar sings, it isn't notes. That is one of the reasons I can't stand a bunch of jazz, it is 30 minutes with everyone, including the guy playing the triangle with a 2 minute solo, I just get bored. That doesn't mean they aren't good, they just aren't good at keeping MY attention. There are half hour classical pieces I can listen to, as long as they keep my attention.

I think the biggest talent is being able to play to audiences. I forget who it was, but I saw a video of someone playing, and they stopped mid song, and said that he felt the crowd wasn't in to it, and asked what they wanted to hear. That, and I don't care what skill level you are, is the biggest accomplishment.

I mean this with the utmost respect. They are amazing musicians' date=' masters of the craft if you will.

Gary Moore

Jeff Beck

Yngwie Malmsteen

~insert guitar master~

ETC.

Aimee [lol

I Know exactly what you mean. Over at MLP it's Jimmy Page on Led Zep. It get's old after while.

I like a good long solo, I can sit and listen to the Allman Brothers play 20 minute songs, I like a guitar virtuoso amd I can listen to Jeff Beck's all instrumental cd's too,, its all about the guitar for me,, I like it,, now,, I DONT like 20 minutes of shredding, THAT gets old quick for me but the guys you stated I can listen whatever they have to say with their guitar and be happy

Nope, it's not "just you!" That's one reason I love "vocal groups" over heavy instrumentalists.

George Harrison, for one, was great at playing for the song, and getting the most out of his

short, but very tasty solos. Roger McGuinn is another one, of that type. There are (many) others,

but those two came to mind, first.

CB

Then again, I always enjoyed EC, Hendrix, and Jeff Beck, as well....mostly within the "Blues" format.

They play a lot...but, somehow, it doesn't seem like "too much." So...???

And too, I think a lot of it depends on one's mood, and/or expectations. You don't sit down to listen

to the Allman Brother's expecting short songs or short solo work. ;>)

CB

George Harrison' date=' for one, was great at playing for the song, and getting the most out of his

short, but very tasty solos.

CB[/quote']

Funny you mention George, my favorite solo ever, by anyone, is his in "Nowhere Man" at 0:47.

I grew up with Jazz and that kind of music alongside with rock and metal, so I don't have a big problem with long solos or instrumental and improvisational based music. I can still get bored though, but then it has more to do with lack of creativity and skill than the idea of a long solo as such. I can also find long solos to be annoying in the middle of a "normal" song.

I like a good long solo' date=' I can sit and listen to the Allman Brothers play 20 minute songs, I like a guitar virtuoso amd I can listen to Jeff Beck's all instrumental cd's too,, its all about the guitar for me,, I like it,, now,, I DONT like 20 minutes of shredding, THAT gets old quick for me but the guys you stated I can listen whatever they have to say with their guitar and be happy[/quote']

It's the same for me.

Most music I listen to, I couldn't even tell you what the singer/vocalist is saying - I just hear the voice as melody.

I'm more interested in what the band is playing.

This goes for most all kinds of music, rock, blues, metal - unless it's a band/artist I'm seriously into, I don't listen to the singer's words, just the melody of the voice over the music.

Same here, I listen to the guitar 90% of the time, sometimes I read lyrics to actually really know what the song says.

Having said that to me is all about my mood, sometimes, like this week, I played the hell out of Yngwie's first solo album which is a masterpiece IMO but I am not always in the mood.

That is the beauty of music and current audio technologies, you can listen to whatever you want when the mood strikes.

I like a good extended solo or jam...but then I like Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk and Ornette Coleman, so I guess I just enjoy the interplay of good musicians. Yes, sometimes extended instrumentals can be self-indulgent and boring, but a good jam is magical.

Not knocking a well-crafted 2:30 minute song...there's a real art to pulling one of those off too!

I get what you mean, sometimes whole song solos just get effing boring. But some guitarists use the space brilliantly (I'm thinking Stevie Ray Vaughan in Lenny, or Riviera Paradise).

Personally I can't handle much of Jimmy Page's music, well a vast majority of it. I just... eh

I like instrumentals, even fast ones, but distorted shredding does get old fast, for me.

I prefer fast solos to be done without distortion, keeps it honest. I think that's what draws me to modern bluegrass, Punch Brothers, and acoustic stuff.

Archived