Gibson Brands Forums

your fave live album?

S t e v e

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alive!_(Kiss_album)

Overdubbing controversy

There has been considerable debate as to how much use was made of studio overdubs. Gene Simmons states in his autobiography Kiss and Make-Up that very little corrective work was done in the studio and that most of the studio time was devoted strictly to mixing down the multi-track recordings. He also emphasized that Kiss could not have done extensive overdubbing even if they had wanted to; thanks in no small part to the Johnny Carson album fiasco, the extremely meager budget allotted to the band simply would not allow it.

According to Dale Sherman's book Black Diamond and Goldmine magazine, in the early 1990s, Eddie Kramer stated there were a few overdubs to correct the most obvious mistakes: strings breaking or off-key notes, for instance. However, in recent years, Kramer has stated that the only original live recording on the album is Ace Frehley's guitar. In addition, on the recent VH1 special of the story of Kiss, the band members themselves make it more known that the album was severely doctored in the studio, and various musicians comment on the album in this special, revealing how disappointed they were to find out their heroes doctored the supposed "live" album in the studio.

Paul Stanley has noted that there's a bass mistake in the choruses of "C'mon and Love Me." He's also made comments that even though there have been live albums recorded later that make Alive! sound like it was recorded in a washroom, he has no qualms about it.

You know this was a studio album with crowd noises dubbed in, right?

Well, not quite. I know there were alot of overdubs. There was even a rumour that the back cover of

Alive... ( the two guys holding the sign) was taken at a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert, and the photographer

had two guys hold up a Kiss sign before the show started.....nonsense.

Not one live album by any band has NOT had some kind of overdub in one way or another.

I have always loved to crank Kiss Alive!.....It still sounds great after 35 years.

Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East

Freakin' Awesome live album! I wore this vinyl out!

Judas%20Priest%20-%20Unleashed%20In%20The%20East.jpg

Cabba, I also went thru 2 of those vinyl albums. The whole album rocked your socks off. My fave songs were Victim of Changes, Genocide & Tyrant but were not limited to those.

Rewd.

Well' date=' not quite. I know there were alot of overdubs. There was even a rumour that the back cover of

Alive... ( the two guys holding the sign) was taken at a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert, and the photographer

had two guys hold up a Kiss sign before the show started.....nonsense.

Not one live album by any band has NOT had some kind of overdub in one way or another.

I have always loved to crank Kiss Alive!.....It still sounds great after 35 years.[/quote']

Don't get me wrong, I love the first two Kiss Alive! albums. It's like a best of on steroids.

And I understand that all live albums get some cleanup in the studio; the issue is how much. Dylan and the Band's Before the Flood got almost none while the Last Waltz is all studio overdubs with the exception of Levon Helm's parts. The only reason for that is because he told them to get bent when they asked him to. With Kiss Alive! I still don't have anymore clarity: Was it done in the studio or were they true live recordings? And did Ace play on the first six studio albums or not?

Archived