Gibson Brands Forums

Neil Young.....what do ya think??

bobrollar

I was going through my record collection recently and put on Neil Young's Comes a Time album, and man its been a while but I forgot how good ol' Neil is. That one and the Harvest album, always brings back good memories.

What do you think, any good or over-played or just dont like him what so ever?

neil_young.jpg

I really enjoy Neil now and again. Not big on his lead guitar though. A little too rough for my tastes but it is part of what it is.

Really like the acoustic stuff too. Saw him play a couple of times in Ottawa and Toronto many moons ago. One of them was his techno phase. I'm still trying to forget that one.

He's part of the Canadian tapestry.

Keep on truckin' Neil

Dave

i was a local stagehand for Young's solo performance at Bass Concert Hall a few weeks ago. he had axes I woulda killed for. That white falcon... man the stories it coulda told!!! his guitar playing was really cool ambient/noise/surreal. very cool!!!

I've been a life-long fan of Neil.

I remember seeing him and Crazy Horse one night in Irvine, CA.

I was actually leaning up against the stage right in front of Neil when he and the band launched into Like a Hurricane, one of my favorite songs. It truly was a tempestuous sonic assault. I loved every minute of it.

Snapshot2009-01-1310-50-58.jpg

Comes a time is a great 'country' album, I cherish that record and it still stands after all these years. Needless to say I'm a big NY fan, I own almost every record, but I have that intention to think that after the "Prairie wind" album, quality level dropped a bit:-k

I'm the odd one here, I like his electric guitar playing. I've heard people slam his Cinnamon Girl solo, but I think it's perfect for the song. I also love Like A Hurricane. He has his own easily identifiable sound. Acoustic, electric, the songwriting, the voice, it's all good.

I'm pretty sure I accadentally met Neil last year. My fiancie was looking at shoes at a store in the mall, here in Halifax, and there was a gentleman looking at shoes behind me. When he got up to pay at the cash, I noticed a pair of glasses sitting where he was, and I picked them up, and said "excuse me sir, would these be yours?" He was greatful and said thank you, and that was that. Later on that night I was back in my little kiosk fish tank here, and the guy working the shoe store said, "do you know who that was? That was Neil Young!"

I was like, "no way!". I can't prove it, but it's cool to me none the less. It's too bad I couldn't get an autograph my dad is a big Neil Fan.

I'm the odd one here' date=' I like his electric guitar playing. I've heard people slam his Cinnamon Girl solo, but I think it's perfect for the song. I also love Like A Hurricane. He has his own easily identifiable sound. Acoustic, electric, the songwriting, the voice, it's all good.[/quote']

I agree. Neil Young has been something of an electric hero to me. His electric sound is absolutely one of my favorites. As I was developing my chops as an electric player, I used to jam along with Ragged Glory incessantly. Neil was never about speed, but always about a melodic sonic assault. For someone who have never been the fastest player on the block, he was numero uno. Neil is rock and roll.

I worked with Neil Young back in the 60's, (Buffalo Springfield). I actually have a hand drawn portrait of him in my office, (I'll try to scan it so I can post it here).

He's good in small doses for me. Anyone who plays guitar and sings alone will get my attention. I like the honesty of a single person singing accompanying themselves on a guitar.

Big fan of Neil over here. Heard Live Rust and Ragged Glory when I was about thirteen years old--saw him at Farm Aid the same year. Both of those events changed my life. I love his playing on both acoustic and electric, his vocals, and especially his writing. Everything about him is bold, idiosyncratic and absolutely genuine and definitive. To me, his music just never gets old.

I'm a big Neil Young fan. I've never owned any of his albums, but I can't think of any songs I've heard of his that I don't like. Both acoustic and electric, I love his raw, ragged style. He also covers so many genres of music, but it always sounds distinctly like Neil.

I'm not too hip on CSN, but make it CSNY and I'm there dude [angry]

Not a huge fan ,but don't hate his stuff.If it comes on the radio I might leave the station on.lol

Music is music.as far as a skilled guitar player with great chops and memorable riffs,Neil Young doesn't come to my mind,but as far as his songs, and how the parts fit in with the song,it seems to work out.I guess you just have to like that type of style,which is unique indeed.

Archived