Gibson Brands Forums

What was your jobs as teens?

dem00n

I read a thread on MLP that got me thinking.

Me....i sell homeworks.

Now it sounds like its not a job...but its hard and important.

I have 10 loyal custromers...sometimes i get temp ones that need one HW or two.

I charge 5 bucks each, if an eassy i charge 10 because i have to sit down with my smart friends and think.

Each HW has to be diffrent...and perfected to that person

These 10 kids would of droped out if it wasnt for this little bussines...i wana give them hope, so they dont fail at life.

I want them to be productive humans like you guys...not ones that work at Fast food places till they are 40.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked in a restaurant. I answered phone calls, packed orders, dealt with spoiled, self-entitled a**hole customers (trust me on this--it was an expensive restaurant, and many of the patrons were incredibly rude,) and generally tried to stay out of other peoples' ways. The specific restaurant that I was in...let's just say that it had management issues, and it was a very high-stress environment--I mean it.

Before that, I worked part-time at a theater, as the "lights-and-sound" guy, i.e. the lighting engineer. That was a fun, easy job: I got to be an "expert," hang out with actors and theater people, and get paid a decent salary for a job which, for me, was very much stress-free. Ultimately, live theater isn't my bag, but if I were offered the ability to do it full-time, I'd very strongly consider it.

Within the next two-to-four years, I will attempt to break into freelance writing as a source of income (although hopefully not a primary one--I probably won't make much as solely a freelance writer.) In preparation for that, I'm going to try to obtain writing credits anywhere I can--school publications, local businesses, etc.--so that I can get my foot in the door, hopefully before college is through. I've also got some other things in the works, most of which involve part-timing at businesses near my college, at least until I earn my degree. At any rate, one thing I've learned is that it's always good to be working, and conversely, it's always bad to be out of dough.

No offense, dem00n, but I say you cut the fxcking crap and get a real job--work in the service industry for a little while. If you have an experience that was anything like mine, you'll man up quickly. In addition, I sincerely detest what you do for money. It's people like yourself who corrupt the notion of merit and upset the very concept of work ethic. These students are cheating, and you're assisting them, and it's upsetting a system that, under ideal conditions, reward hard, honest work, determination and integrity. These are values that I believe in very strongly, and hold very dearly, and--

--Aw hell, no use in my proselytizing. Heck, maybe you ought to charge more--if you can't teach these kids the value of integrity and hard work, the least you can do is teach them the value of a dollar.

Hopefully its not graded for spelling or grammar. as for jobs when I was a teen I works at a sod plant very hard work outside all day at 1.65 a hour. I also worked at a few grocery stores doing various jobs and finally joined the military at 18 years old and never looked back.

[biggrin][crying]

On a more serious note, Jocko: thank you for your service. I have nothing but the utmost respect and reverence for the constituents of our nation's military.

Im not runing any system.

These ****ing idoits would be on street doing drugs or some stupid ****** ****. Are you saying that just failing these kids would be better?

There are no "real" jobs here, just fast food places.

Every ****ing job i apply for that isnt fast food is far away, mostly traveling is the problem.

Dont belive me? Move to Seaford.

Sorry for the ****s.

I worked in a shoe store in the North End of Boston...

Dem00n, you are helping people cheat and robbing them of learning how to do what you are supposed to learn in school. Doing homework prepares people to learn how to do what they need to do later on in life. Are you going to be there to do their work for them when their boss tells them a marketing report has to be done by the end of the week? Or some other self motivated work related task? What you are doing is not helping anyone, just making you some money... Think of it this way, if you got caught doing homework for people by their teachers or by the Principle of the school would you get in trouble? Would they think what you are doing is wrong? If so, than it is wrong.... Just sayin'...

Good on ya DemOOn! [biggrin] Sounds like a nice little thing you have there! [crying]

There's nothing wrong with flipping burgers in a fast food joint! When your young your young and a job's a job! Beats a government cash sucking welfare sponge any day of the week!

I did all sorts of jobs when I was younger none of which I stuck at, but hey when your at home with mom and pop's without a care in the world any job will do!

Regards

Picked rocks out of the potato fields before planting

Picked potatoes during harvest

Worked in potato houses in the winter, loading 50# or 100# bags into semi trailers

Painted houses on occasion

Cleaned and prepped new Toyotas in the late 70s.

Worked my *** off. Doing paper rounds, letter boxing junk mail, laying tennis courts, making pizzas.

Thats how I bought my first LP clone and later, an Ibanez Strat, Big Muff and a 30w sh!t amp.

But there was a cost.

In the Pizza Parlour, I sawed off the end of my left little finger on the deli ham meat saw.:-s

12 months and plastic surgery later, I still have a little finger and can still play with the fourth finger.

But it was a close run thing.

You should have seen the interior of the car for the poor bastard who ran me to the hospital.

It was a 70's 2 door Ford Coupe - Purple with a White Interior.

Hopefully, he got the blood off the interior :(

Me - I still live with the itch, the cracking skin and the scar - and when I play too much, I gotta stop.

But thank God for the public health system and the dedicated surgeon. If not for him, I might have been an amputee and NO guitar playing - at least in the jazz sense.

Farmed. Ran a disc on the fields before planting then the trucks during harvesting, in between I did hay (ran the rake, then mower, then baler as the years went on). Senior year of high school I started working as a pharmacy clerk then became a tech in college.

I started cutting grass for an apartment complex with an old B&S 3.5 HP push mower when I was 8. I cut grass with that same mower until I left home for college.

dem00n. What you're doing is wrong on so many levels. (Don't listen to Flight... he's a cop and depends on folks like you for job security)

Having said that, I've done similar things for cash when I was desperate enough. Try to find legitimate work.

[biggrin]

I had a very cool job as a teen. Got hired at age 16 at a big catering hall called La Fontaine Bleu. I worked wedding receptions, corporate parties, crab feasts, bull roast etc.

I started out working my butt off and getting filthy dirty as a bus-boy, washing dishes, pots and pans, mopping floors etc for minimum wage. Lots of fringe benefits though. Free food, deserts, (beer and liquor when we snuck it) plus we would often sneak away for some other chemical enhancement [cool] . Also lot's of hot women to look at and maybe meet.

I also got to see and meet a lot of good bands. Of course they mostly played dance music but it was still fun to watch and see all their set-ups and gear. My favorite was almost every Friday night from about 1986-1988 I would either carve pit beef or most of the time make fajitas (I was known as the Fajita Man :-k ) at the crab feast or bull roast and listen to this awesome band called The Sentries. They had a horn section and light show and played great party music from the 60s up through the 80s (that was modern then). They were very, very well rehearsed. I got to the point where I knew their whole set in order because they played the same song, the same way every night, but it was perfect every time.

I ended up meeting my wife there. I worked my way to Maitre D' and continued to work part-time even after I got a real full time job into my early 20s.

Mid 60's I helped my dad demo brick bldgs. We would load the bricks in a truck take them

home, unload them. Then clean the mortar off of them and here is where we got paid, we would get

$.01 each to clean. So a good days labor was 1,000 bricks cleaned and stacked on a pallet. $10.00.

Then out of high school various labor intensive jobs. The one job that made my career choice came one day

as I was shoveling concrete. Mind you I was splattered with concrete all over, my hands were chapped from

the lime in the concrete sweating like a pig on the way to slaughter. I looked over my shoulder and saw a man

on a ladder leaned over the top just watching our labor crew work our "chubby red cabooses" off. After the pour

I asked him what was his "Trade" He said I am an "Electrician" I said I want to be one! He gave me the number of the Electrical Apprenticeship Program. It was the toughest goal I ever accomplished. After being out of High School for a number of years and then not only working as an apprentice during the day but then having to study for the college classes at night, go to class on the weekends both Sat & 1/2 a day on Sun. The requirements were to hold a 76% grade. If you failed 2 exams in a row that meant you were suspended from the program. Which meant you also were suspended from your day job! If you wanted back in you had to meet with the "Board" and tell them why you would not do that again. This was a 4 year program. I have been an Electrician for 32 years and a Licensed Master for over 22 years. I've always been able to feed my family.

By the way. How would you like to have an Electrician cheat on his homework and test then come and work on your house? :-k

Hopefully its not graded for spelling or grammar.

Or anything else for that matter. :-k

I take care of people's pets, help my dad working a lot (he's a carpenter), shovel snow, and a host of other small side jobs. I worked at a deli for a bit.

As a kid and young teen I worked for my fathers large construction company (Plumbing and AC) I ran parts, dug ditches etc. At 16 my family self destructed and my parents got into a really nasty divorce and neither wanted me anymore so I was out on my own. Luckily I had learned a skill so I got a job for another large construction company as a job site prep agent, I delivered all the materials and needed equipment in the morning before school then in the early afternoons after school I would visit all the active job sites and pick up any unused material, collect any tools that were no longer needed as well as pull all the permit notices for the jobs. Then I would schedule any trades that were required to fix any inspection write ups on the building permits as well as pull all materials or supplies for the next day from the warehouse and storage yard and get ready to deliver and setup the jobs for the next day.

It was hard work but it paid allot better than any food service or retail job and let me support myself and still finish high school in a pretty normal manner.

And Dem00n not to pile on even more but what your doing is not only wrong and unethical but it would violate the ethics policy at almost any college or even the better prep schools and get you expelled permanently. So I wouldn't share that information with anyone if I were you it could be the end of your college career before it even started.

Archived