Gibson Brands Forums

I'll be very, very glad when people stop calling my Epiphone LP an...

Steven Lister

...people stop calling my Epiphone LP an axe!

Blues players pour heart and soul into breathing life into their guitars so that they gently weep..., sing the blues...,

or cry Mary. Our guitars become an extension of us. They are objects of beauty, of art. In our hands they take on life.

Guitars are not a cold steel tool. They are not used to cut down forests..., or as a weapon to wage mayhem and destruction. For headbangers, thrashers, zombie death metal heads..., well maybe then..., but not for blues players.

Just ranting here on a personal peev that rears it's ugly head at the end of most sets these days as someone tries to kindly opine, "Nice axe mister" ...as my soaring heart crashes heavily back down to mother earth.

So..., what's your peev?

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[edited] Geeez you're loads of help Ricochet....

Not ungrateful here at all for any notice/compliment. It's only that modern term 'AXE'... it grinds me.

It's so..., brutal, cold, lethal. I'm not in any battles (and when I'm on, I'm in a trance).

For me, making music is all about pleasure, sharing of common bond, beauty, enlightenment (okay, okay, and some pain).

Ah well, could be that I'm the only one.......

[edited] Geeez you're loads of help Ricochet....

Not ungrateful here at all for any notice/compliment. It's only that modern term 'AXE'... it grinds me.

It's so...' date=' brutal, cold, lethal. I'm not in any battles (and when I'm on, I'm in a trance).

For me, making music is all about pleasure, sharing of common bond, beauty, enlightenment [i'](okay, okay, and some pain)[/i].

Ah well, could be that I'm the only one.......

Say it with a little lisp, then. You know, "How do you like my axthe, fellowths?" There, it doesn't sound so

brutal that way, does it.:)

Axe, Geetar, whatever, I'll take a compliment where I can get one. I think the term Axe came from the tools of the trade where players talked about skills in terms of building their Chops. Which came first, the chop or the axe? I can't answer that one. Maybe it came from the chopping motion used to strum. When rock and roll came alive, the chop became more animated and the guitar IS kind of axe shaped, where you have a handle connected to a larger business end.

Fans could say worse things to you after a set.

Blues players pour heart and soul into breathing life into their guitars so that they gently weep...' date=' sing the blues...,

or cry Mary. Our guitars become an extension of us. They are objects of beauty, of art. In our hands they take on life.

Guitars are not a cold steel tool. They are not used to cut down forests..., or as a weapon to wage mayhem and destruction. For headbangers, thrashers, zombie death metal heads..., well maybe then..., but not for blues players.

Just ranting here on a personal peev that rears it's ugly head at the end of most sets these days as someone [i']tries to[/i] kindly opine, "Nice axe mister" ...as my soaring heart crashes heavily back down to mother earth.

So..., what's your peev?

I am going to SMITE thee with my EPIPHONE Custom BATTLE AXE!!!!

MwAhjahahahahaha!!!!!!

The term "axe" for a musical instrument goes way back, and includes wind and brass instruments too --- jazz sax, trumpet, and trombone players have referred to their instruments as axes too. Vibraphonists and accordion players --- not so much.

I've always interpreted the term like this --- your instrument is the "axe" with which you are cutting away the bonds of illusion, ignorance and and misery to free the higher truths and joy within you and your listeners. It's all in how you choose your metaphors --- metaphysically speaking, that is!

I'm a blues- rock guy myself rather than a shredder, but I like the term axe. I have sort of a blunt stlye yet with a cutting tone (I like to think) so in many ways the term "axe" fits for me. If I had better skills maybe I'd call it a "saber" or a "rapier" lol. I'm more of a lumberjack though than a duelist.

Maybe it's tied to "woodshedding", "headcutting" and other terms like that from the way back.

My pet peeve is working for a living. I still can't get over it.

So...' date=' what's your peev?[/i']

a BC Rich is an Axe, a Jackson can be an Axe, but I totally agree with you if your sporting timeless style ...a Gibson is a Gibson, an Les Paul is an Les Paul. No one refers to a 911 Porsche as a car...its a Porsche.

And two things really bug me outside of guitars.....Pop is one...Coke, Pepsi and whatever are drinks.....even more directly, if you order one, Order a Pepsi...not a pop...If someone says I'll take a pop when asked if they want a drink, I wanna hit em. Even worse for all the midwest folks of British decent (no not diggin on Brits here) if you want a pop and a ***, you may end up bloody in the street.....or in the bloody street.....whatever....

This all just goes back to calling things what they are......acronyms have taken over and because of those little text message three character fill in's. Anyone published a book written in TEXT MESSAGE lingo yet...12 whole volumes of the World Encyclopedia written on 6 pages......ok I'm done for now...O:)

Blues players pour heart and soul into breathing life into their guitars so that they gently weep...' date=' sing the blues...,

Just ranting here on a personal peev that rears it's ugly head at the end of most sets these days as someone [i']tries to[/i] kindly opine, "Nice axe mister" ...as my soaring heart crashes heavily back down to mother earth.

So..., what's your peev?

I don't like the term "shred" either.

I've got to admit, I'm with Layboomo on this one, a bit flowery for me too. While I understand your sentiments about this, maybe age is the difference, I'm happy anyone wants to listen at all anymore, sheeesh, a compliment I will take anyway it comes.

Seriously, I've ridden with cats that didn't like someone complimenting their Harleys if they didn't say it right. scooter, sled, it doesn't matter, the idea is the same. The idea that a compliment is only a compliment if it's stated in a manner that you prefer is disrespectful to the person offering it, which they don't have to do.

Please bro, accept it graciously, grit your teeth if you have to, the time will come soon enough that you won't hear it as often, IMHO !, at least if you're like the rest of us, which you probably are or you wouldn't be hangin' out with us!

Man I get philosophical when I'm tired !

So..., what's your peev?

It seems that most here like the term AXE. But I would have to agree with Steve on this one. I never refer to my instruments as an AXE. The closest that I get would be to call a hollow body a JAZZBOX but I feel that is ok at least it speaks of music. So I will stand with Steve on this one.

Archived