Gibson Brands Forums

Recommended strap and strap locks

leewilson78

Lee,

Welcome to the forum....now don't be a stranger. (No stranger than the rest of us ,anyway)

"Pics" of new guitars are a must.

I have Schaller strap locks on one of my guitars....I like them. I understand Dunlops are good.

Some of the members have talked about some kind of washer that they seem to like.

Hopefully, they will expound on the issue.

By the way...I like thick leather straps but that may be Fruedian.

I have a wide padded leather strap ...... feels good with the LP, compared to a thinner/narrower strap. As far as straplocks go, I go the poor man's route. Invest in a 4-pack of Grolsch beer, drink said beer, pull the rubber grommets from the bottle caps and slip them on after your strap is on. Gives you enough for 2 straps (or one spare set). They may not be pretty or perfect, but they work well enough for me.....have never had a strap slip off. Plus, it's an excuse to have a few cold ones =D>

Lee' date='

Welcome to the forum....now don't be a stranger. (No stranger than the rest of us ,anyway)

I have Schaller strap locks on one of my guitars....I like them. I understand Dunlops are good.

Some of the members have talked about some kind of washer that they seem to like.

By the way...I like thick leather straps but that may be Fruedian.[/quote']

Lee, I agree. Either one of those are good strap locks, i.e. Schaller or Dunlop. Welcome to the Epiphone Electric

Forum. This is a great place to find and exchange inforamtion about our beloved Epiphone Electric guitars and

sometimes philosophies of other things surrounding them and making music. As you can see from Whitmore Willy

already, some of us characters can be strange, but we're not strangers. Just one big "Happy" family. And as family

members do, we can have our share of disagreements (guest that's what makes us human), but it's all healthy and

fun. If not, the moderator of the forum will let you know by deleting your post or even barring you from participation

if they feel it's severe enough. So welcome to the family.

I have a wide padded leather strap ...... feels good with the LP' date=' compared to a thinner/narrower strap. As far as straplocks go, I go the poor man's route. Invest in a 4-pack of Grolsch beer, drink said beer, pull the rubber grommets from the bottle caps and slip them on after your strap is on. Gives you enough for 2 straps (or one spare set). They may not be pretty or perfect, but they work well enough for me.....have never had a strap slip off. Plus, it's an excuse to have a few cold ones =D> [/quote']

i would like to see a pic of that to make sure i know what the heck your talking about...lol

Lee' date='

By the way...I like thick leather straps but that may be Fruedian.[/quote']

Ditto what Wally stated. I purchased a real nice one for $22 from Sweetwater. Took me 1.5 years to find a damn strap.

I use Schallers on my basses, mostly because I don't like to trust the weight to a conventional button, and I have one on my LP as well. All straps are wide leather or suede.

I wish my Sheraton II had a button mounted on the upper horn: it's at the heel of the neck, like an SG, and Schaller's are too long to fit there comfortably.

i would like to see a pic of that to make sure i know what the heck your talking about...lol

I can do that ... LOL .... just gotsta charge my camera battery .... gimme a day, I shall post a pic. It's low budget, and may not be suitable for extremely animated guitarists, but it works for me just fine.

dunlop strap locks.. dual design is better.. you can use a regular strap or your dunlop equipped strap..

and L&M straps, 2 1/2" wide black leather..

I've been using these for years and they all still work like new.

I just got in some fancier straps.. and I have to admit I'm tempted to go with something styly!

TWANG

Thanks, Prozac ........ exactly what I was talkin' 'bout and glad to know 'm not alone :D

hpim0504tf8.jpg

Fits perfectly :)

Yeah......that's what i use' date=' the Grolsch washers, great excuse to open some cold ones.

Peter,

from the land where they brew Grolsch. :D/ [/quote'] A great excuse indeed :) ....yeah, the smiley collection here is somewhat lacking ( .... uhoh, hope I don't get banned :D

I do the same thing as the Grolsch boys, except I remove the entire strap-pin and use metal washers instead of rubber ones. That means that the strap is ON THERE. You 'sandwich' the washer between the pin and the strap, and re-screw the strap-pin onto the guitar.

This may not to appeal to all these fashion-show strap-switching players, but if you can commit to one strap per guitar, this method is solid. And two metal washers at a hardware store cost about a buck or a buck-50.

;~)

+1 on the Dunlops. I don't keep my straps on my guitars when they are in a case, so I don't wnat them on permanent. Which ever you use, Schaller or Dunlop, stick with the same for all of your guitars then you can use the same strap on more than one guitar.

+1 on the Levy suede straps. My G-400s NEVER dive on me. Just make sure the strap isn't too thick so you can get the locking pin on your strap though. I had to return a strap once because it was just too thick.

For an LP or other heavy guitars or basses (I think they're heavy), a wider or padded strap works best for me. Somethiing at leats 3" wide or more. Try a few out at your local music store. Grab an LP off the wall, head over to the strap rack and try out as many as you can. +2 on the Levy's straps. Good quality there.

For straplocks, I use Schallers on most of my guitars. Properly installed and maintained, I've never had any problems with them. The U-shaped keeper seems like a good design. On my G400s, and other guitars where the strap pin is behind the neck joint, I find that the post with the ball on top (that you pull up to release the thing) pokes me in the gut. The Dunlop strap locks stand out too far from the guitar, with the same results. The ones that work for me in this situation are made by Marvel. They're lower profile, seem to hold very well, and I don't need a wrench to tighten them on, like the Schallers. There are a few other designs, which are slimmer, use less hardware, or are made of plastic. Any of them would work depending on how much you thrash around while you're playing.

There are plenty of opinions on which are the "best", and these types of threads sometimes bring out heated debate on the issue (NOT here, of course!). In the end it just comes down to what you can afford and what works best for your situation.

Good luck!

CO

I didn't know you all wanted to see pics of new guitars... I just got a new one last week.

Oh and I use Schaller strap locks on the Les Paul in my Avatar - been on there since the early 80's.

The last strap I bought was a Levey I use on an Epi Moderne - I like it.

I do the same thing as the Grolsch boys' date=' except I remove the entire strap-pin and use metal washers instead of rubber ones. That means that the strap is ON THERE.

[/quote']

Good idea. Too bad some cases are a tight fit and won't take a guitar with the strap attached.

I'm still not altogether trusting of the "pin & microball" system used on Dunlops,

even though i'm using them on 1 guitar as a test.

Everything else I have, & have EVER had, uses Schallers.

I've used them for 25+ years and never an accident.

The "horseshoe" design, makes it so that if positioned properly

on the strap, they will work even if the mechanical release fails

or falls off completely.

I even use them on my SG and my V, the little "knob" sticking me in the stomach

is nothing compared to the fear of 1 of my guitars hitting the floor.

I've used the dunlops for years... the only thing that ever goes wrong is user error.. not snapping it together.

We seem to have similar results with what we're using, Bender, so people have choice!

I have Q parts locks here, too. They look fancier with different style plates that go on the outside of the strap.

They have a a horseshoe type mechanism.

they work well, too.. though I don't recommend the sun design plate.. it tends to break easy..use the solid plate design.

TWANG

I've used the dunlops for years... the only thing that ever goes wrong is user error.. not snapping it together.

We seem to have similar results with what we're using' date=' Bender, so people have choice!

I have Q parts locks here, too. They look fancier with different style plates that go on the outside of the strap.

They have a a horseshoe type mechanism.

they work well, too.. though I don't recommend the sun design plate.. it tends to break easy..use the solid plate design.

TWANG

[/quote']

I've heard many praises for the Dunlops....and the set i'm using have had absolutely no problem yet.

I'm just so old and set in my ways, that anything "new" (to me) takes time before I trust it.

The Dunlops seem to be very safe and sturdy, and will probably eventually end up on the SG & the V.

Anything else I buy with a heel mounted button, will no doubt get Dunlops as well.

Gotta trust 'em sometime I guess :)

Archived