Gibson Brands Forums

The "Eyes Have It"

midiman56

Not sure if we talked about this before. I just got this email from Gibson ...

$2500 ... sheesh!

Jim

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Eye-Guitar.aspx

(SIGH........) And it's wearing a pair of White Bellbottoms.....

No, no, no.

Sad part is that it comes with a certificate of "Authenticity":

"You have just purchased an AUTHENTIC piece of $@#%&@#! Congratulations!"

Sty Candy...that is a good one

I think it was originally called (slightly better than a stick in the) Eye Guitar.

that axe is so fuggly, it could make a freight train take a dirt road....

all cheap attempts at humor aside- it is ugly.

It's not instantly appealing that's for sure, but I think it's an improvement from some of the other

recent offerings. I like the idea for powder covered pickup covers; been wondering if it would work.

Plan on incorporating that myself now in a future build. Knob placement, (and the lack of two more)

looks less than ideal. Somebody mentioned Ibanez, sorta see that I also can kinda get an SG that

visited Jenny Craig. What this thing needs is a mural on it (ala Fool) from Salvadore Dali. Something

to highlight it's warped dimensions. I'm liking the recent matching headstocks although I know many

find that too much of a tradition break. The fact that this is a new shape versus the modification of an

existing one is a step in a direction, (whether it's a right direction remains to be seen). Paint jobs, holes,

putting the CNC in reverse, do not a new design make. This, like the Diablo, (which I would deal at the

Crossroads for), do at the least give the impression that some designing went into the project. I'm hold-

ing off on making a judgement on this cause I'm willing to bet this "ugly" guitar is a stunner in person.

The pickguard does look like something from the BatCave but note the extra point and detail below the

pickup. It's a pretty neat l'il touch. The double coves at the bottom of the guard mirrror the body horn

cutaways... the more you stare at it the more it starts to have a purpose and intent to the design. They've

done a good job in keeping it visually clean too by moving the jack to the edge and no markers on the

ebony board. First impression is maybe jarring, but I think that was kinda the point: still, when you really

study it, there's been a lot of thought put into this one. I think this one might be back as a regular pro-

duction version.

Wedgie

Well … I don’t HATE it!

If you guys are old enough to remember Saturday morning TV shows like the Archies, Josie and the *****cats, The Hardy Bots, etc (everybody had a group in those days), this is how they drew electric guitars!

I think if I saw this on DiPinto’s page, or Eastwood or Italia I would say, “Hmm … kinda cool looking guitar … real retro!” For some reason if it’s Gibson doing it, all of a sudden I feel almost a sense of betrayal! LOL

Maybe a different color? I dunno … I’d like to give ‘er a spin to see what it sounds like, at least. Way too expensive for what it is. I wouldn’t mind seeing Epiphone knock off a version of this one though …

Jim

GibsonEyeGuitar.jpg

GibsonEyeGuitar02.jpg

The funniest thing is their claim on the first line: "Gibson has long been known for its pioneering guitar designs". Damn if that ain't a strat shaped body, not many guitars use that body shape, now do they?

I like the silhouette, and the color-matched headstock is kinda cool. On first and second look though, that's about it (welll I like the fingerboard color but woulda put the fret markers on). I can't quite say but there's something about the pick guard that looks like a 14 year old drew it in in 6th period science class. Sorry, that's just my opinion.

Seems to me Gibson is going down the same road they trod on back in the early 70`s when they introduced their newest SG

guitar. The SG special. Two pickup slide switch selector non humbucking Melody Maker style pickups everything on top of body no body cavity for electronics piece of crap. Then moved on to the L6S and Sonex. Better to save your money and buy a 1960`s Kalamazoo. They can be had cheaply. I had one and it was alright.

Maybe a different color? I dunno … I’d like to give ‘er a spin to see what it sounds like' date=' at least. Way too expensive for what it is. I wouldn’t mind seeing Epiphone knock off a version of this one though …

[/quote'] Perhaps a different color ....maybe, black with black chrome hardware, ebony fretboard, and a charcoal pickguard ??? Dunno .....

It is definitely an SG-Strat hybrid (Stress-G?)

I dunno if color change could help. That pickguard might be the highest contributor to the Fugg-Factor.

I am all for retro design...but did they have to use 1975 "Foghat Era" bellbottoms as a template for the pickguard?

fool20for20the20city.jpg

I like this comment following the "Take A Peek at The Limited Run Series Eye Guitar" article in the Gibson Lifestyle site:

ray :: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 at 11:42:43 PM If this guitar doesn't sell for $2500 or even $1500, I think that it would be a steal for $250 if it was rebadged as an Epiphone. It could be marketed as a Limited Run Players Pack, if it was sold with a 5 watt solid state amp, a strap, picks and tuning pipe. =D>

I have to agree with the commment on the knob placement. The what I would assume to be the volume is in a bad/awkward position. Almost seems more like a "Hang it on the Wall & Stare at It" than it does a player. Also, is there something I don't know about bell bottoms? I thought all the groovy kids wear them?

Well … I don’t HATE it!

If you guys are old enough to remember Saturday morning TV shows like the Archies' date=' Josie and the *****cats, The Hardy Bots, etc (everybody had a group in those days), this is how they drew electric guitars!

I think if I saw this on DiPinto’s page, or Eastwood or Italia I would say, “Hmm … kinda cool looking guitar … real retro!” For some reason if it’s Gibson doing it, all of a sudden I feel almost a sense of betrayal! LOL

Maybe a different color? I dunno … I’d like to give ‘er a spin to see what it sounds like, at least. Way too expensive for what it is. I wouldn’t mind seeing Epiphone knock off a version of this one though …

Jim

[img']http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/midiman56/GibsonEyeGuitar.jpg[/img]

GibsonEyeGuitar02.jpg

Funny, Its not my cuppa T however if you were in a good 70's Tribute I could see it being used.... Someone like Dave Hill (Slade), Steve Priestly (Sweet) or Roy Wood (Wizard)............

Funny' date=' Its not my cuppa T however if you were in a good 70's Tribute I could see it being used.... Someone like Dave Hill (Slade), Steve Priestly (Sweet) or Roy Wood (Wizard)............[/quote']

....or Jughead (the Archies)

And before any of you mule-earred purists tell me Jughead played the drums: I'm invoking poetic license

Archived