Gibson Brands Forums

Any Football Fans Out There

Rewddawg

An observation from over the pond.

I hadn't realised the season had started until last night, when I watched the Bears game. Only been to the USA once (Kewanee, Ill) and the bloke my wife and I stayed with lived in Illinois and is a Bears fan - so they became my team. I'm no expert though, but it's a great spectator sport. And no, it's nothing to do with men in tights!

I like the fact that (as was evident in one of the later games last night) that a player can be given a 15yrd penalty after scoring a TD for a bit of completely unnecessary verbal to the opposition. The commentator did state the proper infringement but I can't remember.

American football players are required to respect the decision of the refs. Cricket is my main sport and kids are taught this respect from day 1.

In soccer in the UK, there is ZERO respect for refs. Whether they are any good or not is not really the point. Let the administrators deal with it. I have watch 2 of my sons progress through youth football and from an early age they think it's OK to talk back to a ref. They see Wayne Rooney etal do it every week on TV with no comeback, so why not? But the parents are worse!

Will be following the Bears with great interest this season.

There's an NFL game at Wembley this year again, so I might try to see it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is definately something oddly but true about that statement. I'm also a Mizzou fan but don't expect much for a few years. lol

I'm all about college FB. If you go to High School and College in a place like Lincoln, NE, you cant help but get into it. If pro football ran after the college season, I might be inclined to give it a shake, but I cant spend 2 days a week sitting on my aZZ watching football. Its only 3 weeks into the season, and my wife is already waiting for it to end. Look on the bright side Mizzou fan, next year the best team in the Big XII north will be in the Big X, so you can roll up on Kansas, K State, I State, and Baylor before you have to play Texas or Oklahoma.

I'm all about college FB. If you go to High School and College in a place like Lincoln, NE, you cant help but get into it. If pro football ran after the college season, I might be inclined to give it a shake, but I cant spend 2 days a week sitting on my aZZ watching football. Its only 3 weeks into the season, and my wife is already waiting for it to end. Look on the bright side Mizzou fan, next year the best team in the Big XII north will be in the Big X, so you can roll up on Kansas, K State, I State, and Baylor before you have to play Texas or Oklahoma.

I like the way you think. Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Same old Rams, just different players. Wish we could turn the clock back to the Greatest Show on Turf.

Yeah man, I think we all miss those days. In retrospect I think the Rams are just a few pieces of the puzzle from becoming a real contender. Next year would look more promising if there is no lockout. Fat chance!

I won't watch football on my own, but I will watch with the guys in my family when visiting for Thanksgiving or dinners on Sundays etc. I played in High school, I enjoy playing, and watching in person but not TV.

Interesting aside, I found out I won a contest at work for sales achievements and I'm going to the Atlantic Bowl on Sunday in Moncton for free, with some kind of free coat I've yet to see, should be good times. The Argos vs the Eskis, I don't care about either team particularly but seeing it live is different than tv.

I won't watch football on my own, but I will watch with the guys in my family when visiting for Thanksgiving or dinners on Sundays etc. I played in High school, I enjoy playing, and watching in person but not TV.

Interesting aside, I found out I won a contest at work for sales achievements and I'm going to the Atlantic Bowl on Sunday in Moncton for free, with some kind of free coat I've yet to see, should be good times. The Argos vs the Eskis, I don't care about either team particularly but seeing it live is different than tv.

Should be a fun experience. It might even change the way you feel about the game. [thumbup]

Went to my first Raven's football tailgate yesterday B)

These pics don't even capture a fraction of the amount of people tailgating in B'More. Every parking lot for blocks and blocks around the stadium are filled with grilling, cooking, drinking, playing etc. There was even a few bands performing here and there. The rain put a slight damper on things, but not too much.

Ravens001.jpg

Ravens003.jpg

Sadly I'm a die hard Buffalo Bills fan. We are a unique bunch. You have to be to lose four Superbowls in a row and still keep your sanity!! Plus we have 2 Stanley Cup losses. Our time will come though. Tailgating in Buffalo is a ton of fun. It's a ritual here, Buffalo wings and all...

buffalo-wings.JPG

Tailgate.jpg

tailgate-web-photo.jpg

Go LIONS!!! msp_thumbdn.gif

Well on their way to another perfect record!

In my life time I have seen

3 Pistons championships and more than a few finals appearances

3 World Series appearances by the Tigers and 1 championship

4 Stanley Cups and enough playoff wins to choke a horse

AND

1 single playoff game by the Liedowns that they got their a$$ beat in.

worst

franchise

ever

Well...

Tonight it's Bears VS Packers.

Pre-season..Packers were picked to destroy..and this game was to be a gimmie. My Bears have surprised..but are given just a "puncher's chance".

Tonight we'll see. I have never been a trash talker or prognosticator..played ball in HS and college..so I guess I never learned that. Never guessed a victory..and certainly never talked one..

I do know where I'll be tonight..and if you wanted to learn how to swear in Italian...er..and English..Spanish..and some unknown to man languages..

You'd be at my home..

Go BEARS...

No guitar tonight..

The Lions..

I would not be suprised to see the Lions win 6-7 games this year...when you get Stafford back. They are young and talented..but still learning how to win. I think you have the right coach. They'll jell i think..and that young talent will show up at some point.

I hope you do well..especially against the Packers..Vikings..

The Lions..

I would not be suprised to see the Lions win 6-7 games this year...when you get Stafford back. They are young and talented..but still learning how to win. I think you have the right coach. They'll jell i think..and that young talent will show up at some point.

I hope you do well..especially against the Packers..Vikings..

Let the Liedowns win a road game and then we'll talk. Their streak for road losses is 22. That's got to be a record. You could fill their whole roster with pro bowlers and they'd still lose every road game this season. Should be fun to watch them try to have another perfect season.

Let the Liedowns win a road game and then we'll talk. Their streak for road losses is 22. That's got to be a record. You could fill their whole roster with pro bowlers and they'd still lose every road game this season. Should be fun to watch them try to have another perfect season.

Did you see the game against the Vikes? Two interceptions IN THE ENDZONE within a couple of minutes and ended up losing by 10 points. Yeah, they could have won, and the Vikes fumbled again.

The only thing that could make the Lions worse, would be if they played in Chicago, more specifically, Wrigley Field [cursing]

Archived