Gibson Brands Forums

Your Favorite Concert You Attended

MrNylon

Do you have a favorite concert that you attended that really stands out for you above all the others. OK, how about two, maybe three?

Jimi Hendrix - July 1970

Mountain - Feb. 1971

Free, Rod Stewart & Faces - Mar. 1972 (same concert)

Wow tough one. So many great shows.

Front row for Aerosmith then backstage to meet the band. That was pretty sweet.

The 4 times I've seen Paul Mccartney have been pretty special growing up with the Beatles. The guys still delivers in his late 60s!

Another one would be James Taylor on a cold sept. evening outdoors me and the wife huddled together on the lawn, with a blanket enjoying a great acoustic performance.

Springsteen 7th row/ great performer!

Kiss in the late 70's. Say what you want about the music but great show! They know their audience and they give them what they want.

Strangest concert? Ziggy Marley and the B52's / music was fine but the audience was quite the show.lol

I was clearing out some stuff the other day and found these from the days when I used to have a scrapbook.

ticketslo-res.jpg

Fifth row for the first Clapton show and front row for the second. His support for the first may raise a few eyebrows! For the second gig he had the very excellent Chris Rea to open for him.

Other things that I had forgotten; Ry Cooder (in his first UK tour I believe) followed by BB King just three days later! Wow! Joni Mitchell (in her first trip to Scotland, poor dear) nine days after the Rea/Clapton show. We were spoilt for choice back then!

More recently I'd have to say Roger Waters' 'Dark Side of the Moon' tour (2008) was very special. His band (Nick Mason guested on drums!) played the whole of Dark Side, the whole of WYWHere and stuff from every P-F album ever!

I think it lasted about 4 hours!

And here's to a classic yet to come...

I got the ticket a mere 10 months before the gig is due to take place...

TheWallticketlo-res.jpg

I'm with Cookie...so many good ones. But here's one that really surprised me. Late 70's, took my young bride to an Eagle concert. She loved them...I didn't hate them. But I was interested as I had been a fan of Joe Walsh. I was really enjoyed the interplay between Joe and Felder. They seemed to enjoy playing off each other. Amazing stuff really. I didn't leave a big Eagle fan but I liked them more after that. B)

Afghan Whigs on their final tour in 95(ish) at Clutch Cargos in Michigan. They played for over 4 hours and did all their songs, plus a bunch of covers. If youve never seen them, the whigs were a tremendous live band.

Even though I've seen the Stones several times, went to Candlestick Park in 1966 to see the Beatles, was on the bill with Janice Joplin, The Who, The Yardbirds, The Byrds, Paul Revere & The Raiders, Love, Grassroots, Turtles, The Animals, and on, and on, and on....my FAVORITE concert was probably George Jones at The Circle Star Theatre in San Carlos.

`

Jimmy Smith with Mark Whitfield and a trumpet

whose name I never knew .... at Troy Music Hall,

obviously a while ago, maybe about three years

before he died.

I saw Les Paul after that, but I don't think those

were "concerts" at the Iridium on Mondays.

The Jimmy Smith was Best, but the Les Paul

was Most Memorable. When I heard Jimmy, I

had no clue that he'd be dead soon .... but with

Les, I knew I'd prolly never hear him again.

`

Boy, this one is tough. Guess I've been pretty lucky. For now I guess I'd say Neil Young and Crazy Horse in September 1978 at the Elliott Hall of Music at Purdue University. It was the first show of the Rust Never Sleeps tour and the scene surrounding the whole thing was pretty incredible. Great show.

Who knows, later I might come back and say something else.

Every RUSH concert I've been to. (3-if my memory serves me right).

Every YES concert I'vd been to, especialy 7th row on the floor with the revolving round stage. It was awesome.

Ive seen rush 3 or 4 times. They do put on one hell of a show.

In 1972 I saw Pink Floyd when the new at that time, Quad sound came out. The song One Of These Days off the Meddle album sounded incredible. So did Echoes from Meddle also. The Quad did sound cool.

I don't think I have a favorite, but probably any time I saw Rocket From The Crypt, or The Jesus Lizard.

haha one of my teachers let me borrow a RFTC album. It was pretty cool they seem like they'd be awesome live.

My best show was probably Sonic Youth. I've seen a lot of great shows though.

Archived