Gibson Brands Forums

Your Favorite Non-Gibson Guitars.

shaved_ape

Gibson have always been and always shall be my favorite guitars.

But like DuaneV said, not all guitar players only play Gibsons.

What are your favorite guitars you have, have had, or truly desire.

1. Jay Yuenger Ibanez Iceman

This guitar has haunted me since it came out and is the only guitar I can recall that has never gone below it's original value.

2. Tom Petty Rickenbacker 12 string, although I would use it as a 6 string

3. Larrivee D-03 acoustic. Probably the best sounding dreadnaught I have heard for less than $1000.

4. Gretsch Duo Jet, Some of the best pickups I have heard in a solid body, I just can't stand the floating bridge.

5. Dean ML - Surprisingly comfortable to play, awesome tone, and just fun to play.

6. Ovation GP, just because I am a QOTSA fan and when I was 14 I saw one in my local pawn shop for $250 and didn't buy it ](*,)

7. Fender Jaguar, got one when I was 14, Awesome guitar, no room for custom or aftermarket pickups, and the bridge saddles were terrible. But still loved it. I am not a fender fan by any means because I can never keep them in tune. Teles are nice though.

8. MusicMan Silhouette - I really like these for some reason, as well as the Vintage MusicMan Sabre I's, Sabre II's and the Stingray I's.

9. National, I thought a Fiberglass body guitar would be dumb, but I played one and I think they are actually kind of fun to play.

10. Bc Rich Mockingbird - Had a Korean one for a little bit which made me hunger for a USA made, I also LOVE the Eagles

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't mind looking for one of these 80's Japanese Vantage guitars, once I get my deluxe... I've always liked the feel of the necks and fret-boards [thumbup]

vantage_01.jpg

I think you are thinking of an old Ibanez Musician or Ibanez Artist. The inlays on that I think are from an old Alembic.

Any early 80's Japanese guitars are amazing. I went to the Dallas guitar show about a month ago and saw some (Vintage Ibanez's) go for pretty cheap, around $1000 or a little more, vintage alembics still go for a lot.

Made by . . . ?

[confused][rolleyes]

Neo, it is a Rouge; an import.....around 14 years old, trans black, slim perfect necks, nice weight, gold hardware, very good sound and very sharp looking.

It's not a PRS or Gibby but I love it, and people don't believe I can play both necks at the same time until they see me do it......Lots of fun......

[thumbup][crying][scared] :blink: [cool][thumbup]

1959 - 64 Fender Strat.

... the Vintage MusicMan Sabre I's, Sabre II's and the Stingray I's....

That's interesting to hear. Have you tried any of them?

I only ask because I bought a MusicMan Sabre II in about 1983. Black, black p/g, maple 'board and neck.

I thought it would be really great.

It really wasn't.

LOL!

P.

Love my American Deluxe Strat..."jonesing" for a Custom Deluxe.

Love my modded Mexi-Tele...getting an American Special w/Texas Special p'ups next year.

Love my Epi. [scared] Sheraton II...."jonesing" for a Gibby ES-345.

Love my Agile AL-3000 LP copy....great "bang for my buck" player.

Love my SX [blush] SJM '57 (now called the "Liquid")since i've replaced the terrible P-90s w/GF Little Crunchy ceramic Minis....

GarysCam147.jpg

Really miss my '68 Univox Thinline Deluxe Rosewood "Coily"...one of those "terrible bolt neck Japanese guitars" that played and sounded GREAT.

UnivoxCoily.jpg

Also miss my '71 Electra "Tree of Life" SG...(Jap. bolt neck...great player)elecoak1.jpg

I'm gonna go cry over spilt milk now....and console m'self with my Sherri [love] .

1959 - 64 Fender Strat.

That's interesting to hear. Have you tried any of them?

I only ask because I bought a MusicMan Sabre II in about 1983. Black, black p/g, maple 'board and neck.

I thought it would be really great.

It really wasn't.

LOL!

P.

I played a Sabre II once, I thought it sounded ok, lots of treble. There was a time where a guy was down on his luck and I could have gotten it for $500 and I played it for a little bit and wanted to buy it.

I wish I had I think I just want one for collectors sake.

Although I really don't like strats so I have always been looking for an alternative.

Archived