Gibson Brands Forums

Which Amp. Choice from 4 15-20W Valve Combos

albertjohn

ZENKEN

Is that a Blues JR or a Pro Jr?

I have played both and actually like the Pro better and its $100 cheaper.

Yea a timely poll I am searching for my Christmas gift.

New Blues Junior III (Hot Rode series). 15w. B)

I voted for the Fender, but I'm not familiar with the others. I have an early 90s tweed Pro Jr that I love. The Pro has a simple tone and volume layout, while the Blues Jr has an array of tonal and volume/drive options. I think it might also have built in reverb.

It's a shade over 20, but I'm still convinced that the best overall amp is the Deluxe Reverb. It does any and everything. I played both rock and country with it - and ran an A-E and microphone through it for folkie stuff solo.

It's loud enough that if you really need more, you probably should be run through the board. It's light enough you can carry it.

Weakness: This is critical, IMHO, there's no "line out" at all.

That latter is the only reason I'd not really care to have one again.

But... you're talking tube amps, so...

m

It's a shade over 20, but I'm still convinced that the best overall amp is the Deluxe Reverb. It does any and everything. I played both rock and country with it - and ran an A-E and microphone through it for folkie stuff solo.

It's loud enough that if you really need more, you probably should be run through the board. It's light enough you can carry it.

Weakness: This is critical, IMHO, there's no "line out" at all.

That latter is the only reason I'd not really care to have one again.

But... you're talking tube amps, so...

m

I do love the DRRi, I saw one on Craigslist for 500... almost pulled the trigger, but then I would have no money for the next two weeks.

New Blues Junior III (Hot Rode series). 15w. B)

A couple of weeks ago I just got my first fender amp, the new Fender Hot Rod Deluxe..and man I love it...never heard real cleans before this amp...the dirty channel is nothing to brag about, but the way it handles pedals is just crazy...really makes there subtle characteristics shine through..I didnt think I'd be as happy as I am, do you like the new modifications they made to the new series>?

I would go for the Blues Junior or the Windsor. I haven't tried the Laney, and I didn't like the Jet City when I tried it. The Windsor will be hard to get a usable clean tone out of. The BJ has thick, brilliant cleans and sweet, loose, warm OD. YMMV.

The truth is, though, that you'll end up with a sweet amp regardless of what you choose. Happy hunting! [thumbup]

I found a music store around me that has a couple VHT amps all tube combos. I am going to bring

my 335 in there next week and check them out.

Unfortunately the only guitars they sell are Mike Kelly and some other stuff I never heard of.

Has anyone played through a VHT? Thoughts?

Chinese made but point to point and pretty affordable.

Thanks to everyone who has responded over the last few days. The Fender Blues Junior is the clear winner with over 50% of the votes.

Always good to get the views of this forum.

I won't be buying the amp just yet but hopefully early in the new year.

Thanks again. It's reminded me what a great place this is.

Archived