Gibson Brands Forums

In praise of the ES-335

NeoConMan

Tonight was a good night for me.

First time in months I've been able to play guitar and really cut loose.

On top of the normal busy stuff, I lost my guitar room over a month ago.

Long story short -

Mrs. Neo's Mom has been ill for some time, went into the hospital July 4th.

Came home once in October, only made it a couple days before the ambulance hauled her back to the hospital.

The matriarch of the entire clan was outta commission so we took on Thanksgiving and needed lotsa room at the NeoCon Compound.

All the gear had to be put away and the house thoroughly cleaned and redecorated well in advance of Turkey Day.

Been too busy to set everything up again, and I couldn't find my TU-2 and OCD after Mrs. Neo stashed it all.

(I was gone that day.)

Turkey Day was bittersweet without the sweetest little old lady in the world running it from her tiny kitchen.

Last week she finally layed down the law, she was tired of fighting and wanted to go to her reward.

Gathered everybody together one last time and announced she was being moved to hospice care.

Wednesday they packed her up and away she went.

Thursday (yesterday) was unusual for always-sunny Arizona, it was cold, rainy and dreary with a bit of wind.

One of the coordinators at the hospice called a meeting to discuss the particulars of her care, so we went to a private lounge.

30 minutes into it, the nurse interrupts and suggests we all return to the room due to a very shallow heartbeat.

Within 5 minutes she was gone.

1939-2010.

Born dirt-poor in the south, raised 4 kids with a husband who traveled out of town on jobs.

As a small child, one year Mrs. Neo had a dirt floor in a house on some land they had purchased.

Funeral arrangements were finalized this afternoon.

Mrs. Neo finished her business and went for a rare private spa visit - mostly to get away from people.

My stuff is all done for a couple weeks now, I got home and needed some rock n roll therapy.

Found all my gear, set up my Hot Rod DeVille, and then was wondering which guitar to grab.

So, the point of my story...

The ES-335 is NOT a jazz guitar.

The ES-335 is NOT an old man's guitar.

The ES-335 is a fantastic rock and roll guitar.

Unless you need heavy metal crunch with miles of sustain from a Les Paul, or the the sizzle of an SG, the 335 is IT! [thumbup]

Feedback gently tells you when you're pushing too hard, but is easy to modulate or mitigate.

Power chords are to die for with all he natural harmonics.

I dare say it will probably do 80% of what you would normally use a Les Paul for - and then clean up so sweetly...

My ES-335 is nothing special.

2002 Dot Reissue in Cherry with factory 57 Classics.

The ONLY mod was Schaller strap locks.

You young guys who think you don't need one of these are making the same mistake I did for so many years.

You need to spend some quality time with one of these plugged into a GOOD tube amp.

It won't work at the store.

You need to be able to crank it to get an idea of its dynamic nuances and versatile capability.

Hit every corner of the box tone-wise, loud/soft, clean/slightly distorted, bridge/neck pickup.

Those of you with a keen ear can find some good YouTube stuff with 335's doing their thing.

I've owned a lot of guitars in my lifetime, and had the pleasure of playing some really nice new and vintage ones.

I have friends with guitars that are out of this world.

But what I needed tonight was my 335.

If you'll excuse me now, I'm gonna get back to shaking the house with the slightest bit of rudeness in my tone.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope your family well wishes through this difficult time.

My favorite guitarest is Alex Lifeson who started out on a 335, then moved into his signature 355. He never had a huge distorted sound in those early days and probably loved the 335 for the same reasons you explained here. Here he is doing one of my favorite early tunes that simply rocks (Peart goes nuts throughout it too)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBKgWVQgTeE

God bless, Neo.

It's very hard when someone you love with all your heart loses someone THEY love, with all of theirs......

It was a 335 that steered me towards my ES-339. It's been my favorite electric since I got it.

Sorry to hear of yours and your family's loss Neo.

Tough time of year too.

Sounds like your mom in law saw the door open and walked through gracefully.

As for the 335, I can't argue your point. I tried the 335's and went for a 339 for comfort reasons. Awesome guitars both.

If I could only have one electric, I think it would be a semi-hollow. If I were asked the same question last year the answer would have been a LP.

Glad I don't have to choose.

Take care of yourself and your family and all the best going into the next phase.

Dave

Sorry for your loss but it sounds like she went out with dignity and grace after a long full life surrounded by those that loved her, and honestly I can't think of a better way to go.

As for the 335 yep great all around guitars, if you ever get a chance to see Dave Grohl play one you'll never wonder again if they can handle rock. All in all I would have to say LP's are still my favorite guitar but the semi hollow would be next and thats in all it's many versions including the 335 or the 339 (current favorite) the Gretsch Brians Setzer the Taylor T5 or even My Godin Multiac jazz or hell even the semi hollow 73 Telecaster is hard to beat.

You've honored your mother-in-law well with one of your best posts ever, Neo. I could almost hear notes of the 335

rolling across the Arizona desert, crossing mournfully across Texas and drifting southward toward the equator.

A fittng tribute to consider is a truss rod cover engraved with her name. I did this on the guitar left me by

my father in law. Perhaps the 335 can be another great way of remembering her. Another plus to this is your

wife can hardly object to you honoring your mother-in-law often (even if at full volume). [biggrin]

Sorry to hear about your MIL's passing. I'M asking God to be with your wife, you, and your family during this sad time. Heaven has a way of mourning the departure of good people from this world. Cold and rainy is usually the manifestation. I've never been to a funeral of a Godly person where it' hasn't been utterly cold, wet and generally miserable.

Archived