Gibson Brands Forums

It's nice knowing I'm not alone in the universe

Tim Plains

I sold my PRS SC245 a few weeks ago. A guy responds to my kijiji ad and after the typical back & forth emails I took the guitar to his house. I walk in and we go to a room off to the side. He played it for a bit and we then started talking about my SC and the SC250 he had in the room. So, we're talking, we're talking...his wife walks into the room and we say the typical "hello, nice to meet you" stuff.

She then says to me "so, you're buying a guitar today?"

I say "no, not today...but I'm usually am the guy who does the buying." [biggrin]

She then looks at her husband, drops the smile and says "oh, you're buying a guitar?"

He had that [scared] look on his face.

Afterwards, we exchanged a few emails and this guy is just like me but with PRS SCs...lol. He has four or five of them (along with a few other guitars) and sometimes doesn't tell his wife he's buying a new guitar. He said often when he gets a new guitar, he'll time it right so he's re-stinging it when his wife gets home.

"Is that a new guitar?"

"No, I've had this for a while, honey. That's why I'm putting new strings on it."

"Oh, OK."

Hey, wait a minute - that's my move! I do that to my wife when I don't want her to know I bought one. [biggrin]

This guy seems to do the exact same things I do. I think he's Bizarro Tim.

I have family over from Europe for a wedding and didn't want to bring people over to look at guitars and crank amps; that's why I delivered. I even gave him the weekend to try it out and give it back if he didn't like it. He paid up front, of course. I'm a nice guy, what can I say...

Great story! Umm, does the wife ever see the bill? My wife handles all the paperwork. She gives me my allowance for the week and I'm a happy boy. The good news is that once in while she'll say something like "OK go buy a new guitar or BMW for yourself." Make the wife happy and she'll pay you back in return.

Normal resell rights mean that after you buy the item you will be allowed to sell it to your customers. There may be limitations, such as that you can only sell the product for a specific price. This term is also known as Resale Rights. When a product comes with resell rights it means that you can sell the product to just about anyone and keep 100% of the profit. The product you sell though should only include the PUO (Personal Use Only) right, in other words, you can NOT give the resell rights when you sell this type of product.

Master Resale Rights

Bizarro Tim, that's awesome.

I ran into a friend that is in a band at a wedding, he asked me if I had bought any guitars recently, I said no, I have too many already.

He quickly replied: don't ever say that again I looked at my wife and said see?

`

Normal resell rights mean that after you buy the item

you will be allowed to sell it to your customers. There

may be limitations, such as that you can only sell the

product for a specific price. This term is also known as

Resale Rights. When a product comes with resell rights

it means that you can sell the product to just about

anyone and keep 100% of the profit. The product you

sell though should only include the PUO (Personal

Use Only) right, in other words, you can NOT give the

resell rights when you sell this type of product.

`

Planet, please.

Kindly specifiy on what planet this applies.

`

We, as the male of the species, need to do a better job of thinking on our feet. We usually think with a different part of our anatomy.

At some point his wife will take inventory of what he has, then perform a semi-annual inventory to see who's new. Fellas... I don't care if it's fishing tackle, computer parts, motorcycles or guitars. A major purchase, such has this, HAS to be discussed with your spouse. It's part of the deal. I know it's hard, but I know too many guys who lost a wife... and guitars to divorce BECAUSE of guitars.

• 2 weeks later...

Got another one...

I just sold my PRS 513 (to a guy who also said he didn't mention the new guitar to his wife). We were talking about our guitars and he has Gibson LP Standard. He snuck that guitar past his wife, too, and way he did it was shear genius! He originally bought a cheap black Epiphone Les Paul; showed it to his wife so she knew about it. Then traded it towards a black Gibson LP and his wife never noticed. Brilliant!! [lol]

surf...trust me, I know! We have separate accounts. I've bought at least five guitars without my wife knowing. She found out after the fact but still doesn't know what they cost. As much as I love her, I'll likely have to do the same and not tell her what the next guitar will cost me because it's going to cost a truckload of money (which is why I sold those two PRS guitars). It's not that I don't want to tell her...it's for her own good! [biggrin]

OK, time to get a little serious. I've been happily married for 14 years. The one thing I've learned is to NEVER hide anything from her. If she loves you then she'll encourage you. My wife did question my PRS GAS, but after she realized how much I wanted it, I got the green light.

Trust me they will eventually find out. God help you guys if they read this thread. Married is built on trust. People hardly ever get divorced based on the big things, it's the small things that escalate into big things. Now I'm not saying that it'll happen to you guys who don't tell your wives. But, why take the chance? She's your soul mate. Tell her everything.

Archived