Gibson Brands Forums

Christmas gifts...

Silenced Fred

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A semi hollowbody will come later... Gretsch has become my main GAS after playing a couple of them

I gotta a lower end Gretsch Electromatic as a surprise Christmas present from my Girlfriend a few years back. I love it! Great guitar even at that end of the spectrum.

Hmmmm...

Musically... I got the Boss AC-3, two mini-amps... the fender tonemaster and the Danelectro Hoodad with reverb and tremolo, the Metal AmPlug and a cool book/cd combination called "The Songwriter's Manual".

I did get the three Robert Jordan books on my list....

Two of which are signed by the now deceased author :D!

More than any of that though, I have not seen our families this happy at Christmas in years. Awseome time :).

Blessed joy of the holiday season personified!

Tomorrow the kids will open their gifts from Santa....

Can't wait!!

Hmmmm...

Musically... I got the Boss AC-3, two mini-amps... the fender tonemaster and the Danelectro Hoodad with reverb and tremolo, the Metal AmPlug and a cool book/cd combination called "The Songwriter's Manual".

I did get the three Robert Jordan books on my list....

Two of which are signed by the now deceased author :D!

More than any of that though, I have not seen our families this happy at Christmas in years. Awseome time :).

Blessed joy of the holiday season personified!

Tomorrow the kids will open their gifts from Santa....

Can't wait!!

Congrats ChanMan and +1 for the happy families!! msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Hello everyone-newbie here

For my Christmas gift I received a 1973 Gibson L-5 CES in mint condition. It belonged to my dear grandfather who passed away in September, just short of his 91st birthday. He was an incredible guitarist, having taught himself how to play when he was quite young. He collected many Gibson guitars over the years, and each of his four grandchildren received one this Christmas Eve. I am so honored to have this amazing gift, but have to admit that I am a little flummoxed over what to do with it. I don't play, and no one in my immediate family plays either. My 14 yo son now is angling to take lessons and learn how to play this guitar (and I admit, I think I want to take lessons as well!) but I don't know that I should let him play something that seems so pristine and only very rarely left the house where my grandfather kept it. (He had one guitar that he used outside the house to play in his band, but his collectibles were kept for playing in the house only.) So, to all you experts out there, is this something we should play and learn on OR do we get a basic guitar and learn on that keeping the L-5 for when we know what we're doing? Also, I think I should add it to my homeowners policy, but have no idea what to insure it for. Thanks for any info or guidance, and a very Merry Christmas to you-mine can't get any better.

Welcome to the forum C/M ! .....and WOW(!!) sounds like you had a VERY merry Christmas......

if it's near pristine, definitely add it to your H/O policy.....i'd go $3k-$5k on it.

and by it having such sentimental value, I don't think i'd let a 14 yr. old drag it back/forth to lessons and/or practice, thats inviting disaster....i'd get a good "entry level" guitar for both of you to learn on, and yes, i'd suggest you both take lessons... I lost my son 10 yrs ago, and many of my fondest memories of his life(cut short at 17) are the ones I have of us sharing guitars, amps, ideas.....and of teaching him to play.

Since this is the Gibson/Epiphone forum, for a good "learner" guitar i'd suggest either the Gibson Melody Maker, Les Paul Special/Studio/or Junior, or the SG Special/or Classic......several of these come in "faded finish" versions and are quite affordable.

Or , to really save $$$, Epiphone makes several inexpensive guitars that would be GREAT to learn on.....check out both websites to get some ideas, then head down to your closest "authorized retailer" and handle several before you buy.

best of luck to you both (!).....let us know what you decide to do, because music can become a lifetime bond between people.

Santa brought me exactly what I wanted, and even more for Christmas.....considering that I got an American Deluxe Strat (with the exact options I wanted) in Sept. and a birthday surprise SG Standard Oct. 10th (both brand new) I wasn't expecting anything big.....but my Mrs. got me:

a pair of Vintage Wound GFS "Soapbar 180s" to replace the P-90s in my Epi '56 GT

a set of Grover Deluxe kluson style "cream key" tuners for the same guitar (backordered item)

a pair of nickel plated p'up covers for my Flying-V

a custom p/g for the V, (backordered, & she won't tell me what design)

16 stainless steel V/T knob pointers

and a Dunlop "workstation reversable neck cradle" (backordered)

and as if thats not enough, my Inlaws got me a GC gift-card....(no idea how much yet) that i'll get when we go visit them in January......yeah, they know how to "bait" me to get us down there [biggrin] !!

in other words, i've racked up this year...... [thumbup]

Hello everyone-newbie here

For my Christmas gift I received a 1973 Gibson L-5 CES in mint condition. It belonged to my dear grandfather who passed away in September, just short of his 91st birthday. He was an incredible guitarist, having taught himself how to play when he was quite young. He collected many Gibson guitars over the years, and each of his four grandchildren received one this Christmas Eve. I am so honored to have this amazing gift, but have to admit that I am a little flummoxed over what to do with it. I don't play, and no one in my immediate family plays either. My 14 yo son now is angling to take lessons and learn how to play this guitar (and I admit, I think I want to take lessons as well!) but I don't know that I should let him play something that seems so pristine and only very rarely left the house where my grandfather kept it. (He had one guitar that he used outside the house to play in his band, but his collectibles were kept for playing in the house only.) So, to all you experts out there, is this something we should play and learn on OR do we get a basic guitar and learn on that keeping the L-5 for when we know what we're doing? Also, I think I should add it to my homeowners policy, but have no idea what to insure it for. Thanks for any info or guidance, and a very Merry Christmas to you-mine can't get any better.

I would definitely get some decent starter guitars ( one for both of you ) That way your son can make his guitar really his ( i found this to be important when I was teaching). Very good quality electric's available now for cheap ( and yes I would recommend an electric ) They are easier to play, you can play more styles and you can always play with headphones. I would definitely keep the L-5 put away in a case and strings slacked and make sure you have a good humidifier/dehumidifier for it.

Once y'all have got decent at playing and ( Especially pick control if ya play with a pick cause ya don't want to be scratching the finish up or the pick Gaurd ) then start getting out the old Gibby to enjoy. Look at is a something to motivate you to aspire to. Very nice gift and even nicer that it has such sentimental value that can't be replaced. Merry Christmas!

Andy

Unfortunately, Girlfriend and Family doesn't usually have the cash to get me most of the things I want in the musical realm for Christmas but Girlfriend has done well in the past and made a good contribution this year. I usually end up buying my own Christmas for me in that realm and I have to say I (er uh Santa) was pretty good to me this year. msp_w00t.gif

Let's See

1982 - Gibson Explorer CMT Cherry Sunburst

1992 - Gibson Studio

New - Charvel American San Dimas

Marshall - Class 5

Metropolous - JMT-45 Marshall clone kit

Pair of JBL- 4328P Powered studio monitors

JBL - LSR4312SP Powered studio 12" subwoofer - This was gift from Girlfriend!!!

Vintage MXR Flanger

EVH - Phaser

Vintage blue MXR 6 band EQ

Vintage Echoplex

Vintage Boss ME-10 EQ

Webber Mass 150 Attenuator

Palmer - PDI-03 ( Speaker emulator and attenuator )

Girlfriend got nice diamond ring and ipad for christmas so Santa was good to he too!!!

No kids so we get to be the kids! msp_biggrin.gif

A new watch, very fancy with diamond chips at every number marker.

A Gibson Calendar. Now I know why they wouldn't let us create one Jocko...

Aerosmith CD: Pump

A bottle of Gibson Guitar Polish. Love it and the smell.

A pack of Ernie Ball guitar strings (electric 10's)

A guitar slide.

Guitar Pick Holder for microphone stand w/ slide holder

Had a s**t Christmas. I knew I would. I wanted it on my own with my dog but got dragged in again. I've been taken for a **** this year by certain people. I've been used to the max. It stops today (as it would have been carried on tomorrow).

I am having a great Christmas. I spent time with both my family, and my girlfriend's family. I've eaten waaay too many cookies. I fear I may need to buy bigger pants if this keeps up.

As for gifts, I got some really cool stuff...

'Life' -Keith Richards' book.

A gift card to my favorite local guitar shop (Pianos N Stuff).

A Gibson calendar.

I'm still waiting to exchange gifts with my girl, so I'll probably get more awesome things. I'm lucky to have so many terrific people in my life.

I think my favorite gift so far is a new lens for my camera (thanks mom and dad!). It's a f/1.8 which can give a really nice bokeh (depth of field) in images. I was effin' around with it today during holiday craziness downtime. Unfortunately I didn't have anybody to model so, I used old Lester here:

4094_6X9_100DPI.jpg

Archived