Gibson Brands Forums

i DO NOT like jimi hendrix...

S t e v e

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heroin.

or, NO Heroin any more: he managed to quit the H addiction by becoming a full-blown alcoholic (which he was for the entirety of the 70s it seems.)

i just read his autobiography... holy crap! it's amazing the guy's still alive.

-Don

Glad I am not the only one that thinks this. How do you go from the amazing sound and attitude of Cream to milquetoast like Lay Down Sally?

Musical Exploration, perhaps.

If he was trying to recapture White Room or Layla he'd be labeled Stagnant. Try something different and he gets labeled a softy. No win situation for any longtime artist, so one might as well listen to Shakespear's advice and stay true to oneself. And that's one thing that I've always admired about Clapton, if he feels like Rockin' he gives 'em some "Bad Love", if he feels mellow he gives 'em "Reptile".

Oddly enough it's the same thing I admire about AC?DC, they don't explore because thats not what they do, but it's still being true to themselves.

Gary Moore, on the other hand, seems to shift with the prevailing winds.

here's one answer - and remember, EC is only a cupla months older than I am... and honestly, I wasn't really a fan when he hit "fame" 'cuz I was playing whatever was needed for a country or rock band that the other guys would do and that would pay.

But... when you get to a certain point in life you just wanna play what you wanna play.

You've done the wild - and it's still fun as long as it isn't too repetitive. But that's not all there is.

In "our" age group, we have that whole era of pop and swing and folk and...

Ever notice that rockers to country music folks, even bluegrassers and folkies, around my age group are into standards... and more melodic stuff even if we wail a blues, hit a hot country lick or stomp into a rock piece too?

I about dropped my storebought teeth when I realized EC did "Down and Out" acoustic. Heck, I'd been doing it since maybe 64... and from that time period, he does pretty much the flatpick style and I do pretty much the fingerpicking style but both are still... pretty much what "we" were doing in the 60s when it was just for fun.

It's now a matter of playing "stuff" without worrying that somebody will think you're uncool because you know they're not really anybody who matters. The folks who matter will like your stuff or not like your stuff but will recognize it's YOUR stuff and figure it's fine.

Actually you can do that when you're teen or 20 something, but it's harder and then you get defensive and wanna get nasty 'cuz it's your first time through it. After a while you realize not everybody will like your stuff, and those who do won't like all your stuff, and... so it's not a big deal.

I think in ways so many of "us" my age died young because things didn't go as they expected them to go and couldn't handle that very well. EC had his troubles, obviously. I'm lucky, I didn't have that kinda trouble... As the rest of "us," I had my own kind.

So when "we" pick up a guitar or bass or set up the drums or PA, "we" tend to play to an audience the best we can whether we're paid or not, but we're not trying to re-do what we did in our 20s...

That make sense?

m

Musical Exploration, perhaps.

If he was trying to recapture White Room or Layla he'd be labeled Stagnant. Try something different and he gets labeled a softy. No win situation for any longtime artist, so one might as well listen to Shakespear's advice and stay true to oneself. And that's one thing that I've always admired about Clapton, if he feels like Rockin' he gives 'em some "Bad Love", if he feels mellow he gives 'em "Reptile".

Oddly enough it's the same thing I admire about AC?DC, they don't explore because thats not what they do, but it's still being true to themselves.

Gary Moore, on the other hand, seems to shift with the prevailing winds.

Given his choice of backing singers at the time, I think he spent more time listening to Shakespears Sister than to Shakespeare's advice...

220px-Marcy_Levy.jpg

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs236.ash2/50514_25624395473_64245_n.jpg

Have we made Lucky 13 yet?

• 2 weeks later...

okay, see this is why I avoid loads of Steve's threads. You don't like Hendrix? That is perfectly alright, I for one love a decent chunk of his work, but I'm not going to say it in a thread that has no real point. You have an opinion, lets move on, we are all entitled to our own musical taste, and honestly unless it is pertinent to the goings on of a thread (discussing innovation, tone, something of that sort) I really don't give a flying f'ck. I don't love Gary Moore, I respect him, don't love him, but I don't spam threads about Joe Bonamassa, or about how I dislike <insert name here>.

I don't hold anything against you for your taste in music, which is quite different from mine, but it is incredibly effing irritating when you spam 6 threads a night about Gary Moore. He is a fantastic musician, and I understand that, it doesn't need to be reinforced.

People love Hendrix, not because he is dead, but because of his music (I personally just love his playing style).

Might it ever have occurred to you that a legion of Hendrix fanboys exist (I am among them) solely because he was an utterly fantastic musician?

Sorry for not sifting through 13 pages of this sh!t.

I didn't bother to read the whole thread, but were all of you guys saying the same thing when disrespectful posts were made about Hendrix?

I sure hope so.

I think the point has been made, and while anyone's passing is a tragedy, anyone with a brain would have seen this one coming from a hundred miles away.

When can we start the Gary Moore jokes?

I was going to give you a -1, because even asking that, (I'm not sure if you were trying to be funny or not) was quite rude, IMO. But alas, I have reached my negative quota for today and shall give it to you tomorrow, good sir. Good day!

I was going to give you a -1, because even asking that, (I'm not sure if you were trying to be funny or not) was quite rude, IMO. But alas, I have reached my negative quota for today and shall give it to you tomorrow, good sir. Good day!

....just pointing out inconsistencies in the forum.....

Archived