Gibson Brands Forums

Hypothetical question

Shnate McDuanus

If you could choose to be a guitarist in any band in history, what would it be?

I know, there are all sorts of concerns and objections you can raise to the concept, but you can't tell me you haven't once fantasized about replacing "that guitarist" in "that band."

For me, I would either go for Phil Campbell's current role (or "Fast" Eddie Clarke's former role) as the guitarist in Motorhead, or I'd take up Larry LaLonde's position in Primus...also, I'd want Ler's PRS guitars.

this is actually tougher than i thought: do i become that player, or am i still me, just in that situation?

for example, i'd never want to be George Harrison (stifled my MacLen, all that chanting and no meat), but I'd LOVE to be with a young Pattie Boyd. :)

Lee Ranaldo in Sonic Youth.

- pioneering

- creative on the noise side; 100% my style

- respected

- has outside art projects and married a visual artist

- !!longevity!! Sonic Youth has been around since the 1981. They aren't wealthy, but they do OK. Mortgage gets paid and food is on the table.

I'd want to be the second guitar, behind Billy Gibbons, in ZZ Top.

Interesting thread; If I had studied the BUSINESS aspect of the industry more, as opposed to working in many many bands attempting to " make it big ", I would be one

of those guitarists we all see backing up 'stars' and filling in for 'fired' and 'retired' band members..............but;

Like Mr. Natural; second guitar for Gibbons; and / or third guitar for the Eagles, second guitar for a Zep lineup, second guitar for Tull would be nice............

Second guitar for me.

Jeez.... where to begin?

Led Zep if I'm dreaming - might as well go BIG, eh?

Or Bad Company.

Hell yeah!

[thumbup]

Maybe second (or third) for Tom Petty - standing beside Mike Campbell 30 years ago.

Same for the Cult, second to Billy Duffy on those HUGE riffs in the late eighties.

Scorpions? I dunno - Matthias and Rudolph BOTH were monsters.

Neil Giraldo - Pat Benatar's husband? First three albums were ROCKERS.

Same for Lindsay Buckingham - I would LOVE to do rhythm parts for that guy in Fleetwood Mac.

Heart - the EARLY stuff with Roger Fisher in the band.

Ted Nugent?

Thin Lizzy?

Foghat?

Triumph? They NEEDED a second guitar.

Maybe second (or third, or fourth) for the Eagles, Outlaws, Molly Hatchet...

I gotta stop for now... B)

Second guitar for me.

Jeez.... where to begin?

Led Zep if I'm dreaming - might as well go BIG, eh?

Or Bad Company.

Hell yeah!

[thumbup]

Maybe second (or third) for Tom Petty - standing beside Mike Campbell 30 years ago.

Same for the Cult, second to Billy Duffy on those HUGE riffs in the late eighties.

Scorpions? I dunno - Matthias and Rudolph BOTH were monsters.

Neil Giraldo - Pat Benatar's husband? First three albums were ROCKERS.

Same for Lindsay Buckingham - I would LOVE to do rhythm parts for that guy in Fleetwood Mac.

Heart - the EARLY stuff with Roger Fisher in the band.

Ted Nugent?

Thin Lizzy?

Foghat?

Triumph? They NEEDED a second guitar.

Maybe second (or third, or fourth) for the Eagles, Outlaws, Molly Hatchet...

I gotta stop for now... B)

Interesting Neo..........Billy Duff does now use a second guitarist to fill out his sound........Also, although I haven't heard your guitar playing, something tells me that you'd be

very good at filling some of your above mentioned 'second chair' spots...........

I'm also one of those who never thought of a specific band and guitarist.

I'd tend to wish I were Chet, too - although some of his bios make me glad I didn't have the experience of his childhood.

I s'pose with what I mostly do now... I dunno. I really don't.

m

If I'm going big, I'd want to be David Gilmour or George Harrison, I think.

Dream big and all.

At the same time, then I wouldn't be able to enjoy the experience of those bands shaping me musically, so it's a mixed bag to dream about.

Steve Lukather or Tommy Emmanuel.

But fancy being Les Paul? All that innovation and to sit and 'Drool' over his guitar collection. I should imagine he'd got one of the best collections ever. Is there a list of his guitars yet?

I'd like to be second guitar to Stevie Ray Vaughan just to learn from/see him in action. Like Surfpup I've never actually fantasized about being that particular "one". Maybe I'll be someone another aspiring musician will want to be (but more than likely not [razz])

Archived