Gibson Brands Forums

Choose your own inlay

Artie Owl

What would you choose as your own custom guitar fret inlay?

I think I'd do something with the 4 suites from playing cards, like have spades, clubs, hearts and diamonds going up the fret, or maybe just spades. Probably in acrylic, replace the dot inlay, so that they're not too big and over the top. Something subtle.

You?

I like the rectangular abalony inlays on my MK patriot. My fav colour is purple so its nice that there is a bit of that mixed in with the green. By the way, wats the difference between abalony an mother of pearl. If I could have anything it would be the silouette of a naked lady in mother of pearl. I have a few picks with the silouette of women on them and all my female friends like them but the guys think they're lame. Each to their own I guess :)

When I was in college, a reeeally good banjo player also did inlays, mostly I think on banjos. But they were kinda like trapezoids, but with reeeally intricate kinda like art nouveau cutouts within the basic thing. Excellent work.

So... short of split parallelograms, regular dots and such similar... that would be it. I guess one might say "traditional." The old Gretsch thumbnails weren't bad, though.

I don't care for gaudy, though...

m

I want to replace the acrylic traps in my standard with real mother of pearl......one day.

I'd like to do that with my classic too...

You guys should do it. It's a pretty cheap and relatively easy thing to do!!!

With unlimited money, I think it would be sweet to dedicate a guitar a piece to your favorite bands. For me, I'd start with Pink Floyd and do Wish You Were Here themed inlays

These frets would have block lettering:

3 - Wish

5 - You

7 - Were

8 - Here

12 - Pink Floyd (maybe in the font from The Wall, because why not)

Then 15-21 would have a rendering of this image:

cover_383971692009.jpg

Might be too much, but it was the first neat idea to pop to mind.

In general though, I'm not too picky. Dots are fine on a lot of things.

Very, very cool Dave....

Easy for me - MOP dots in Rosewood or Ebony, or black on Maple necks.

green abalone inlays

Shop around for an older Les Paul Classic.

Now and then you can find one with disgustingly green trapezoidal inlays... [flapper]

Various rockets for me. I guess you don't need to think about why I picked that...

Seeing as you like projectiles you would love my dad. he designes missiles, a bit of a contravercial issue, but some the less thats what he does for a living. ive always thought it was a really cool job [thumbup]

With unlimited money, I think it would be sweet to dedicate a guitar a piece to your favorite bands. For me, I'd start with Pink Floyd and do Wish You Were Here themed inlays

These frets would have block lettering:

3 - Wish

5 - You

7 - Were

8 - Here

12 - Pink Floyd (maybe in the font from The Wall, because why not)

Then 15-21 would have a rendering of this image:

cover_383971692009.jpg

Might be too much, but it was the first neat idea to pop to mind.

In general though, I'm not too picky. Dots are fine on a lot of things.

Cool idea a Pink floyd theme would be very cool! I might have to steal some of this idea sometime!!! msp_biggrin.gif

Archived