Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a real Gibson?

LarryUK

The other web sites that had it for auction said the guitar is worth between 3000 and 4000 usd.

Gibson Custom celebrates Corvette's 50th with Limited Edition Guitar

Les Paul model sports Corvette's finish and trim features

Gibson Guitar's Custom Division has brought together two American cultural icons - the Les Paul guitar and the Chevrolet Corvette - in a new guitar that commemorates the 50th Anniversary of the classic automobile. The Gibson Les Paul 50th Anniversary Corvette, scheduled for a limited run of 50 instruments, incorporates key design features of the 2003 model, which the automotive press has called "The most magnetic Corvette ever."

The top of Gibson's Les Paul 50th Anniversary Corvette is custom-carved to re-create the Corvette's familiar side body vent. The top itself is rounded to match the automobile's shape. Additional features include the Corvette emblem inlaid in the fingerboard, the 50th Anniversary badge from the car's fender and VIN-style serial numbers. The guitar finish matches the automobile's metallic 50th Anniversary Red finish and its vinyl case matches the 50th Anniversary Shale interior color.

"The Chevrolet Corvette and the Gibson Les Paul exemplify the innovative vision of two great American companies in the early 1950s, and both have gone on to become internationally recognized icons, representing the finest elements of the American lifestyle," said Henry Juszkiewicz, chairman and CEO of Gibson Guitar Corp. "Having celebrated the 50th year of the Les Paul guitar in 2002, we fully appreciate what a rare and important achievement this is, and we're honored that Gibson guitars will be a part of the Corvette's 50th Anniversary celebration."

Gibson guitars and Corvettes first came together on a Custom Shop model on the Les Paul '60 Corvette, which was introduced in 1995 and featured authentic colors from 1960 Corvettes. Later that year Gibson Custom commemorated the '63 Corvette Sting Ray on an SG-style guitar, with the top of the guitar fashioned like the split rear window design o the car.

Additional features of the 50th Anniversary Corvette guitar include: a modified Les Paul Double-Cutaway carved-top body style, special strings-through-body design, two P-90 single-coil pickups and a custom wall display cabinet.

Gibson is known worldwide for producing classic models in every major style of fretted instrument, including acoustic and electric guitars, mandolins and banjos. Gibson's digital guitar, introduced in 2002, represents the biggest advance in electric guitar design in over 70 years. Founded in 1894 in Kalamazoo, MI, and headquartered in Nashville since 1984, Gibson Guitar Corp.'s family of brands now includes Epiphone, Dobro, Kramer, Steinberger, Tobias, Slingerland, Trace Elliot, Maestro, Baldwin, Ellington, Chickering and Wurlitzer. Visit Gibson's website at www.gibson.com.

No, I do not believe this is a genuine Gibson. The serial number does not look right, and there is no Made In USA stamp either. Also, the binding does not cover the fret ends ( which Gibson will Always have unless refretted )and this is a poly finish, and not nitrocellulose. The neck heel is also incorrect. :( It still may be a SWEET guitar, even if it is fake :)

I'm Calling fake on this one. Either that or it was a prototype or a first time build for someone... Too many bad spots to be a Gibson released product. Looks like it has Epi bridge on it too. That Center route is horrible as mentioned earlier and looks like the little black shapes were made with a sharpie. What's up with that weird finish issue on the bottom upper left?

I'm Calling fake on this one. Either that or it was a prototype or a first time build for someone... Too many bad spots to be a Gibson released product. Looks like it has Epi bridge on it too. That Center route is horrible as mentioned earlier and looks like the little black shapes were made with a sharpie. What's up with that weird finish issue on the bottom upper left?

Yea i was wondering about that finish issue as well..i cant tell if its a reflection of the camera or a huge wet spot or something...Doesnt look to convincing as being a Gibson.

I like it.

Here's a press release from Gibson's website - http://www.gibson.com/press/custom/pr/CustomCorvette.html

Although the ebay one might be fake (check the confirmed pics below match the press release - http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/die-casts-collectibles/40031-gibson-50th-anniversary-vette-guitar.html#14 )

And that stuff between the pickups is the body detail behind the front wheels.

corvettemain-21Apr2008125839959250.jpg

3498738106_30a230197a.jpg

3498737258_06458d3530.jpg

There is no doubt that Gibson made this model just not this guitar. Compare it to the photo below:

b180d870.jpg

Notice the Non- Epi Bridge, the pickup engravings, and the little ornamentation between the pick-ups appears to be little stand-offs not drawn on. Frets are nibbed, not translucent etc... and so forth..

There is no doubt that Gibson made this model just not this guitar. Compare it to the photo below:

b180d870.jpg

Notice the Non- Epi Bridge, the pickup engravings, and the little ornamentation between the pick-ups appears to be little stand-offs not drawn on. Frets are nibbed, not translucent etc... and so forth..

That's better. I know I liked the 'fake' but I love this.

That's what I call a 'Sig' model!!

What a waste of talent. If Gibson can make things like this, then they're wasting talent on silly 'Beano' etc models.

Just think of the things they could make?

A Stealth? A Jaguar? OOH.

That's better. I know I liked the 'fake' but I love this.

That's what I call a 'Sig' model!!

What a waste of talent. If Gibson can make things like this, then they're wasting talent on silly 'Beano' etc models.

Just think of the things they could make?

A Stealth? A Jaguar? OOH.

+1 a black SG would make a sweet Stealth fighter.

Archived