Gibson Brands Forums

i want to move to cali

pete c

i think i have had enough of new england winters, im 41 in april and want to move to a warmer climate. but i have no idea what aeras to avoid, i know i dont want to get in to a big city. where would be a good place to go with my wife and kids. what are the rents for a nice 3bdr place. i know i probbly for got a few things

Bonfire...

Regardless where in Cali one might live, the state as such is entirely under the sway of more urban interests. That's why it is so deeply in debt.

The taxation and other additional overhead on individuals and businesses is very difficult for many to handle and reverse migration of a number of businesses has occurred. In fact, some already have found my region rather attractive.

m

i think i have had enough of new england winters, im 41 in april and want to move to a warmer climate. but i have no idea what aeras to avoid, i know i dont want to get in to a big city. where would be a good place to go with my wife and kids. what are the rents for a nice 3bdr place. i know i probbly for got a few things

I'm 60, trapped on a hill across the river from Bengalville and tired of midwest winters. I'm going to St. Augustine and join the circus. "Goodbye Cruel World"!

Hall

Do you realize how bad the economy is in California? Everything there is way over priced! msp_thumbdn.gif

If your just looking for a warmer climate, Texas is a great place to be. Usually pretty warm here and the economy is the best out of all of the states. msp_thumbup.gif

Do you realize how bad the economy is in California? Everything there is way over priced! msp_thumbdn.gif

If your just looking for a warmer climate, Texas is a great place to be. Usually pretty warm here and the economy is the best out of all of the states. msp_thumbup.gif

It's not as bad as you say here and I understand that the Texas economy is now tanking thanks to its economic policies. But the weather is nicer than the frozen middle.

Tman if you're talking about the price of houses that's not because of the economy. That's because people want to live in California. The price of houses has come down because of the economy.

Other than that your skippy peanut butter and everything costs the same as it does in Texas.

I'd shoot myself before I'd move to Cali. That state is full of wackos.

No it is not full of wackos.

I have lived all over this country. And one thing I can assure you is there are wackos everywhere. And yes, I have come across many in Mich. as well.

Yeah, and you are certainly not a wacko for saying something so exagerated and crazy.

No it is not full of wackos.

I have lived all over this country. And one thing I can assure you is there are wackos everywhere. And yes, I have come across many in Mich. as well.

Yeah, and you are certainly not a wacko for saying something so exagerated and crazy.

I've lived all over the country as well. Florida, Michigan, Tucson, denver, Chicago, Cali and else where. And yes, Cali is most definitely full of wackos

Tman if you're talking about the price of houses that's not because of the economy. That's because people want to live in California. The price of houses has come down because of the economy.

Other than that your skippy peanut butter and everything costs the same as it does in Texas.

Don't argue reason, use emotion

I've lived all over the country as well. Florida, Michigan, Tucson, denver, Chicago, Cali and else where. And yes, Cali is most definitely full of wackos

I would say that a world without whackos would be too boring. I don't care who has the most, we have the best.

Bonfire...

Regardless where in Cali one might live, the state as such is entirely under the sway of more urban interests. That's why it is so deeply in debt.

The taxation and other additional overhead on individuals and businesses is very difficult for many to handle and reverse migration of a number of businesses has occurred. In fact, some already have found my region rather attractive.

m

Milod's right.

Many businesses have left California for greener pastures.

Moving companies are back-logged with households who are joining the exodus.

The only people coming to California are professor-types from the east coast.

You know, teaching for Pen State and then getting a job at Berkley or USC. That kind of stuff.

If you want to know what housing cost are check out a spot you want to live and look at craigslist adds for rentals.

All kidding, politics, economics and crime statistics aside, living in southern California or even Las Vegas never quite struck me as making that much sense in the more utilitarian way in that they ain't got the water supply to survive all that long without.

I'm certain there are nice places to live in cali where there is a natural water supply sufficient to handle local populations, but... then you have the other three factors I mentioned above.

I've lived in cities. I've worked in high-crime areas.

But driving in the LA area and around SF sometimes had the hair on the back of my head stiffening up more than walking around in Manhattan and darned near anyplace in Boston or in some blues bars in Chicago long before it was considered borderline safe... or even Memphis when there were a number of bars you couldn't pay me to go into even with a James Bond-style license to kill and a submachine gun.

Just a personal observation. It probably is unfair, but... it'd also take roughly eight times my current income to live in a lower middle class LA suburb at an equivalent of my current lifestyle, and I figure that ain't likely.

m

Dub...

Naaah... realistically it's just how some things translate on different folks' internal radar.

I felt the same way on some streets a block or two off Copacabana beach in Rio, too. But then beautiful and "posh" as even the beach was, the hotel I was working out of sent a batch of employees out to bring me back inside while I was trying for some night photos. Too dangerous they said. My radar hadn't kicked entirely there, though, and there were no problems while I was there.

Oddly I felt relatively safe in the reeeeeally third world market in Ciudad del Este in Paraguay, even drinking a bit too much in a dirt-floored bar on broken furniture. My Spanish is vestigial, at best, but an Argentine I was doing some work with saw me talking to the bartender who was super cautious about serving an American and hollered at me. The three of us ended up speaking pidgin English and Spanish and drawing pictures to communicate, drinking too much of the local tipple mixed in Coke and having a good old time.

The world can be funny that way.

m

I didn't feel bad in the Marina district in SF 20 some years ago, but... outside that general area...

Oh, and there were wonderful restaurants there that didn't charge an arm and a leg, either, just for lunch or even supper. Neat little Japanese joint had marvelous teriyaki rib eyes, too.

In LA it was mostly staying at a hotel and being hauled around to take pix and such, except for two trips to Korea. One trip coming back I got to stay overnight unexpectedly on the floor in LAX because of the Rodney King riots and one trip going and coming we stayed in a marvelous little hotel in Korea Town that had some of the best chow anywhere.

But that, again, was a long time ago in a different lifetime. Darn it.

m

It's not as bad as you say here

It's all relative.

You're happy in your hometown - good on ya!

I've had enough California to last a lifetime.

And I still get regular doses from all your economic refugees here in Arizona.

Surrounded by them.

I understand that the Texas economy is now tanking thanks to its economic policies.

Wrong again - but at least you're consistent about it... [flapper]

Again, it's a relative thing.

You ever live in Texas?

The lower taxes are addictive, and the laws are at least a little less insane.

But the weather is nicer than the frozen middle.

Texas has a wide variety of climates to choose from, along with all four seasons for most of the state.

Sometimes you get all four in one month... [scared]

It's all relative.

You're happy in your hometown - good on ya!

I've had enough California to last a lifetime.

And I still get regular doses from all your economic refugees here in Arizona.

Surrounded by them.

You ever live in Texas?

Texas has a wide variety of climates to choose from, along with all four seasons for most of the state.

Sometimes you get all four in one month... [scared]

Thanks for the back up Neo. But you were wrong about one thing here. We get all four seasons in one week! msp_flapper.gif

Move to Nashville,

Mid-size city, no state income tax, good economy all things considered, we get all 4 seasons and it is a friendly city.

Our winters are nothing like those in New England nor nearly as long.

Sales taxes here are higher than Texas but our real state taxes are much lower. Just to give you an idea, I pay $2,000 a year in taxes for a 2,250 sq ft house. A smimilar house in say Austin or Dallas Texas would pay $4,500 a year in taxes. I know that both numbers are probably much lower than what you pay in New England.

I bet you'd pay more than that in New England.

You ever live in Texas?

The current figures show a $27 billion deficit, very Califonia like.

Archived