Gibson Brands Forums

Do you like Fenders?

Geert1976

I love my Strat Deluxe. My wife bought if for me for my 50th B Day in 2010, and I can't imagine ever getting rid of it. I'm now tossing around getting either a LP Traditional, or a PRS Custom 24. Either way, I will eventually end up with both. All three companies make fantastic instruments, different, but all great. With guitars, I find I like most of the ones I'm drawn to. I can stand in a store and look at the rack, and pick one up, and almost every time, I'll like it. I'm committed and monogomous with guitars.

I have not had the same experience with amps. I would say that I am a serial philanderer, a vertible amp whore. I have little if any committment to them. In the last year, I went through a Peavey C30, got rid of it because the tubes wouldn't stop rattling and the 2nd channel was useless, then a Fender PRRI, and now a Mesa Boogie LSS that blew 3 rectifier tubes and 5 fuses in 6 weeks. It's in the shop getting looked at right now. The Mesa, however, is the best of the bunch, but then it should be, it's $2000. That kind of track record with faulty products does not instill amp loyalty in me!

Initially I liked the sound of the Fender RI's but once I had the chance to A/B the one's that I was looking at to, say a 65 BFDR, the DRRI sounded really thin, hollow and tiny. I had the same experince with the PRRI. I put a Celestion G10 Gold in it, a better OT, Tung Sols, and replaced the MDF front baffle with birch ply. I then A/B'd it next to a Headstrong Lil King, (a boutique PR clone). There was no contest. I sold the PRRI that very day.

It will be interesting when I get the Gibson, to see how it works with the amps that I have.

post-30711-015403700 1297609881_thumb.jpg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I am in the mood for that unique squawk, I love playing my Telecaster

Here is my Nashville Telecaster I really love the satin finish neck, fast and smooth

The amp is a VC-30 that I refinished...I like the amp, hated the metal grill

IMG_5898.jpg

Mark, beautiful tele. Love that color with that pickguard. msp_thumbup.gif

When I moved to CT, I came out with my clothes, one guitar (my Les Paul), one amp, and that's about it. I remember thinking that if I just leave the case and cram the Stratocaster into the car it could fit. I should have. Out of all the gear that I left at my brother's house in Lincoln, the Strat is the only thing that I miss. Now I will have to live without it until May.

Yes. We get that. You don't like Fenders. You like cheap copies of Fenders. You said that. When you want a Fender sound you grab a copy. We heard you. Many times. We get it.

Those are not cheap *** copies by the way, and you don't have to post in a aggresive way [-X

I may be a little bit nutty.

When I really need a strat sound, I always grab my Vester Tradition 57 Strat(I use it for Cris Isaak and Pearl Jam):

HPIM3347.jpg

When I really need a Tele a grab my Tokai TE-70 Breezysound:

HPIM3808.jpg

I never grab my Fenders [blink][bored]

Hey, a Vester fan ! I have a later model Vester myself, not near as nice looking as yours but sounds at least as good or better than any MIM Strat I've owned. Oh, and as far as the poster who thinks that the Tokai Brezzysound is cheap; have you saw what these go for on Ebay lately ? definantly not cheap.

Hey, a Vester fan ! I have a later model Vester myself, not near as nice looking as yours but sounds at least as good or better than any MIM Strat I've owned. Oh, and as far as the poster who thinks that the Tokai Brezzysound is cheap; have you saw what these go for on Ebay lately ? definantly not cheap.

Yep, I'm a fan of the Vester fan, they had some very nice guitars of a good quality.

I have the Tokai for a long time now, and got it cheap, but their pretty expensive nowadays [crying]

Re Fender amps:I have a '69 Bassman head with a '68 2-15 cabinet and it is probably one of the best blues amps you could ever use.My wife gave me an Epi Les Paul Traditional Pro for Christmas and when I plugged it into the old Bassman it was aural sex,it sounded just like a PAF Les Paul-just astounding.My Epi G-400 Custom(3 pup Sg bodied Les Paul)just screams when I push the old 15" speakers with it and with a Strat or Tele it's just something else.You just can't beat the old Fenders for blues amps.

I love my Gibsons...LP, SG, V, and other "Gibson styled" guitars, but in all honesty every time I pick up my American Deluxe Strat, the idea of trading my Gibsons for upper-end Fenders runs thru my mind. [scared]

The feel, the tones, the playability, the look, the tones, the tones, the tones.....the feel....O.M.G.!!!

My Strat is a very "substantial" guitar.....it weighs in almost as heavy as my Gibson LP, and heavier than my Epis...

The satin neck is still an absolute marvel to me......

GarysCam150.jpg

I also have a Mexican Tele that i've modded a bit, but i'm still not thrilled with the p'ups.....I put a Kent Armstrong Hot Twinrail in the bridge, which is good, but far from GREAT.

Soon, i'm going to put either a matched set of Fender Vintage noiseless, or N3 noiseless p'ups in it, because I really like the neck and would play it a lot more if the p'ups were better.

GarysCam032.jpg

I love my strats.... I have three American Standards.... (one with a humbucker)

I like the sound of the single coils w/a little gain. ( I know the hum is annoying at times)

I think that the best thing about a strat is the distinct sound... on the other hand the worst thing about a strat is that distinct sound...

it depends on the music you are playing.... just my opinion....

everything has it's place.....

I have a few Fenders, but I don't like them.

I prefer my Gibsons, because they play beter, smell better, the sound is better, the looks are better.

I don't use them often.

I always call Fenders: crapocasters [cursing]

How about you?

What do you think?

To me it`s single coil vs double coil. Gibsons flater neck radius , Fenders now are but old ones were more rounded. I think you can hide your mistakes with a double coil better and you can play more notes. Gibsons are more forgiving is what I`m trying to say. Fenders twang better but my 339 has a nice twang to it. I own both and I think most guitar players worth their salt own both too. KDR

Funny, I have 2 stratocasters I call Crapocasters too... but I have 2 fender USA teles and a custom made tele that are my favorite guitars (especially the custom built one, that one is perfect and is my #1 by far).

I haven't been using my gibbies much, it's so bad I even sold 2 of them and am considering selling the remaining 2 (moded melody maker and first gen 2nd run metallic red robot LP).

I was never a Fender sorta guy here..After I have tried a few, I sorta liked them.Since then, I've bought, sold, and traded a few thru the years..

I am giving them a fair shake more now so then ever...

I currently obtained 2 more, thru which means I would prefer not to obtained them....

Because of these current newbies, I have shall I say more respect for the older models..emoticon-object-013.gif

My '08 Am. STD, I find myself reaching more for throughout the last year..

But, that being said, I do, and will always prefer Gibsons......

Sometimes the job calls for a Fender, everyone should have one.

And since the question was "do you like Fenders?", even though I'm probably one of the most dedicated Gibson Players here, I have a couple of Stratocasters that would be hard to part with.

Hey, an excuse to post pictures.

5443049545_59f7156f12.jpg

This is a Sensational Thread [thumbup]

Here's some Gratuitous Pick Up Swap Pics from my '88. That's real '92 Big Bear/Landers Earthquake Damage there, not "Relicing", And completely natural aging, it was pure Olympic White when I got it in '89.

2584237810100337768S425x425Q85.jpg

-

2659202670100337768S425x425Q85.jpg

-Back of the old 80's Standard PU's

2694227380100337768S425x425Q85.jpg

-New Lace going in (before I tidied up the wire harness)

2501122160100337768S425x425Q85.jpg

I love this Crap!

Yeah?

Here's the back... [woot]

3374276729_cb3c30f4f4_z.jpg

And here's the full shot - so you can see all that Walnut to go along with the Birdseye Maple...

3374276701_d765e673d4_z.jpg

Ain't no plywood there ya know - it's ALL carved. [thumbup]

(You need one of these...) [rolleyes]

Wow that is sweet! I remember you showed me some carved tops at Bizarre Guitar & Drum. My brother keeps nagging me about getting a Rickenbacker because he has a 4002 bass which he loves. TG has me GASing for a Tele first though.

Ooooooh, very, very nice.

I like how you've got a rosewood and a maple. Gotta have both, right man?

I know you've probably said before, but what years are they from?

5443049545_59f7156f12.jpg

The rosewood neck one is from 1960. The maple neck one is a prototype built in the Fender Custom Shop in preparation for the 1994 release of the 40th Anniversary 1954 Reissue model, so it could possibly be the FIRST '54 RI ever built.

Life too short for only one brand of guitar you need different tones and different guitars are the way to get that. To me only owning Gibson, even if they are my favorite, would be like only having a longboard in your quiver or only keeping one club in a golf bag, why limit yourself to a single kind of wave, shot or sound?

I love guitars. They all have a personality of their own. Some good, some bad. I don't assume a particular make is good or bad until I try them. I have owned dreadful Gibsons and awful Fenders. I now have 20+ guitars and I love them all. 3 fenders, 4 Gibsons, a couple of Martin Acoustics, a Heritage and a few most people don't rate........but I do.

If I gig I think one of my Strats is ready for just about anything but I love my '89 Les Paul just as much.

Archived