Gibson Brands Forums

The Official What Are You Listening To Right Now Thread...

ShredAstaire

• 3 weeks later...

Paul Desmond with Jim Hall - "Easy Living".   CD culled from 8 of their RCA sessions.  Jazz standards immaculately played.  Hall was the most modern chordal jazz guitarist I've ever heard.

John Scofield - "Groove Elation".   European jazz musicians can't play this slow, and probably young American ones can't either; Idris Muhammed on drums.  Does what it says in the title.

Steve Khan - "Crossings".   Michael Brecker on 3 tracks.  Superb playing on this CD.

Miles Davis Live in London July 1984 - a broadcast I've mentioned before, I keep coming back to this.

"Tributaries" - Larry Coryell, Joe Beck and John Scofield.  All acoustic.

"There And Back"  - Jeff Beck.  I haven't played this for ages. The 2nd track "Too Much To Lose" has a 30-second solo which is still one of the most brilliant solos I have ever heard. 

On 2/26/2023 at 2:04 PM, jdgm said:

Deep Purple - "Made In Japan"  (on CD).

Recorded 50 years ago in 1972 and still a great live album!

I still(somewhere) have the vinyl of that one.  Always liked it too.  Best of all, I got it as a gift.

Whitefang

Since learning of his death on last night's news I've been listening to a lot of WAYNE SHORTER.  Both his Weather Report years and some solo and Miles work.

RIP Wayne.  You had a great run.  Thank you for the beauty.

Whitefang

• Like 1

Yes Wayne has gone at age 89 after a long illness; but he had a fantastic life and as you say, a great run.  I still think he exemplifies the "sound of surprise" which was one critics definition of jazz.  You can hear it, these days you can find a chart of it and learn to play it, but what is not (and never will be) understood is - how did he think of that? How did he know? Where did that come from?   These are things I wonder about with all the really great music.

Plaza Real is in Barcelona; one summer night Wayne had dinner at a restaurant there and sat watching the flamenco.  

And then wrote this:

My God he was brilliant.

Edited by jdgm

• 4 weeks later...

Me again.....playing some LPs today.  Can't beat it.  CDs are as good but different.

Miles Davis "Nefertiti"

Hugh Masakela "Introducing Hedzoleh Sounds"

Elvin Jones/Clark Terry/James Moody  "Summit Meeting"

Sonny Rollins  "The Way I Feel"

Jeff Beck - Live +   - (2014  USA tour)   splendid fierce, loud and at times heavy live set with the 'Plus'  of 2 equally brilliant (and mad) studio tracks. 

Simon Phillips - Protocol II.   A friend visited with the 2 x 45rpm 12" version, which cost him lots but sounds great and has Andy Timmons on guitar.   Fusion;  well up to Mahavishnu Orch standard, these guys.

Edited by jdgm

Ralph Towner  -  "At First Light".  New solo CD on ECM, recorded Feb 2022.   Towner is 83 now so this may be his last recording, hinted at in the somewhat valedictory sleeve essay.   All on classical guitar, there are no 12-string pieces (alas).

Elvin Jones - "Live at Onkel Po's" - thunderous live 2CD set of the late, great drummer and his 'Jazz Machine' - 2 saxes, piano, bass and fine guitarist Marvin Horne (who is still around and teaching/playing).   Great example of a typical EJ gig.

Edited by jdgm

6 minutes ago, saturn said:

I getting in the mood for my annual trip to Delfest, which will include Molly Tuttle among many others.

Sierra Ferrell, the legendary Peter Rowan and Free Mexican Air Force, Sam Bush.

Heck, yea.

I haven't seen Dave and Gillian out much lately. Hope everything is okay.

6 minutes ago, Murph said:

Sierra Ferrell, the legendary Peter Rowan and Free Mexican Air Force, Sam Bush.

Heck, yea.

I haven't seen Dave and Gillian out much lately. Hope everything is okay.

Yeah. Not as many big, recognizable names this year as in past, but the music is always great and we have a blast. 4 days of freedom and camping and music.

Trampled By Turtles and Pigeons Playing Ping Pong are two other mentionables. 

• 3 weeks later...

"Waiting For Columbus" - Little Feat.  Though I loved the band and bought their records, I never liked the sound on this LP;   I was at one of the concerts and that wasn't how it sounded.   Now there is a deluxe 8CD set available which is the original album plus the complete 3 concerts it was all assembled from.   I'd like to hear that.

Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles Live

Jimmy Rogers - Chess anthology inc. "World's In A Tangle"

David Sanborn - "Voyeur"

Edited by jdgm