Gibson Brands Forums

How long does it take you to get warmed up?

Andy R

How long does it normally take you to get totally warmed up and playing at your best? I'm talking the point where you feel relaxed, fluid and at peak playing level?

This is something that has plagued me for years. It takes me usually 2 hours or more of pretty constant playing ( scales. leads, riffs, rhythms etc..) before I really hit peak. When and If I do I can play somewhat close to Yngwie speed and my picking becomes very light and accurate as well as my fretboard fingering. When I hit this "peak" I can just play... It's a great feeling.

Once a day has passed and I pick up the guitar I have to start all over to get to that point or close.

The only thing that has gotten me close to that feeling fairly quickly is dunking my hands up to my elbows in ice water for as long as I can stand it and then dunking them in hot water as long as I can stand it. Back and forth for about 15 minutes and it gets me closer ( but is obviously a pain and not always practical)

I usually try to loosen up by popping my knuckles, pushing my fingers against each other to stretch and then I do the limp noodle hand and arm shakes a bit and rotate and stretch my neck back and arms.

I usually start warming up by picking moderately slow trying to keep a light touch with the pick and do some scale stuff and some basic old metallica type of "Marching rhythms" etc.... Then start playing songs and riffs etc... Like I said after about 2 hrs of this I get to what I will call "The zone" and I can rip stuff out like I have actually been doing this for 30 years...

Anyone got any tips for getting "In the zone" or whatever you call it yourself quicker?

It is frustrating for me to have to spend so much time to get there every time I play [cursing] Help....... [crying]

Andy

Kinda just what you do. I do scales, try to play fast and build up the speed. I like to do thrills on every fret on every string, that always helps starting off the hands sometimes, though it can be tiresome once your done.

I know when I play a gig, I usually don't feel like I'm playing fluently and without too much effort until the second set. I really don't practice that much and when I do it's rarely more than an hour, so it's hard for me to comment on that part.

Wow you certainly do a lot. I certainly don't have Yngwie-type speed, but I can play some pretty decent fast riffs like YYZ and The Spirit of Radio. I do about 20 minutes worth of warm up a day.

First I start with the classic old warm up of playing each finger up on each string. Right away I'll know if it's "my day" depending on how well I play it. Then I'll play a few scales to try to get some fluidity in my playing. Then I'll play something that is different to anything I've done before. For example, my latest exercise involves playing the 1-2-3 fingers on the E string and then the 2-3-4 fingers on the A string and onward. I constantly try to get myself out of my zone.

Wow you certainly do a lot. I certainly don't have Yngwie-type speed, but I can play some pretty decent fast riffs like YYZ and The Spirit of Radio. I do about 20 minutes worth of warm up a day.

First I start with the classic old warm up of playing each finger up on each string. Right away I'll know if it's "my day" depending on how well I play it. Then I'll play a few scales to try to get some fluidity in my playing. Then I'll play something that is different to anything I've done before. For example, my latest exercise involves playing the 1-2-3 fingers on the E string and then the 2-3-4 fingers on the A string and onward. I constantly try to get myself out of my zone.

I said close to Yngwie [biggrin] Not that that's my goal I just like the feeling when everything just becomes very fluid and I can pretty much play whatever I want without much effort. I feel like I'm starting with boxing gloves on when I first start playing....

It kind of never happens for me...

I'll usually warm up by playing Slayer riffs against a metronome, usually from "Raining Blood," "War Ensemble," "Read Between the Lies," and "Postmortem," usually with a few others thrown in for good measure. I try to increase my speed every day. For some reason that helps me get in the zone.

Here's an example of how I used getting out of my comfort zone in a tune. I started getting heavily into pulloffs, which I incorporated at the beginning of this Spanish-type tune I wrote. I was also practicing a lot of diminished runs and I used one I made up at the 2:16 mark. That took me a lot of practicing but I stuck to it. The really hard part was to play it on bass (thought my fingers were going to fall off!). Playing bass is the best way to build finger strength IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF1Kshc_d6s

Here's an example of how I used getting out of my comfort zone in a tune. I started getting heavily into pulloffs, which I incorporated at the beginning of this Spanish-type tune I wrote. I was also practicing a lot of diminished runs and I used one I made up at the 2:16 mark. That took me a lot of practicing but I stuck to it. The really hard part was to play it on bass (thought my fingers were going to fall off!). Playing bass is the best way to build finger strength IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF1Kshc_d6s

Nice.... But damn it Now I want some Tacos! .... Appreciated as well. I have very good hand strength it is getting loose and relaxed that is more my problem.... Again I liked the tune and appreciate yours and everyone's contribution.

Andy

Like 45 seconds...I plug in and I'm ready to rock. :)

I don't really have a warm-up routine, and I don't think my playing suffers from it.

Well you suck [flapper] Wish I could do that! [biggrin]

Doesn't take much for me, usually I don't even need to. When in doubt I do some scale exercises in ionian, aeolian, mixolydian, dorian etc.. (though I do that anyway just absentmindedly strumming). That's usually it.

Andy,

I have never really done a warm up regimen. Just dive in and play. I usually start feeling " off" as time goes on, which is the opposite of what you are experiencing. I think I get psychologically tired after long periods of playing. I even get hungry and tired (as in nap-tired).

Here are a few thoughts about your situation:

1. Do you think it could be a psychological relaxation that is happening once you get into it? Maybe it takes you time to relax in the mind? Or do you think it is a physical relaxation? I would think that it would be easier to decrease the time it takes for the head to relax, over the hands.

2. Do you think the ritualistic way you physically warm up causes you mental stress, which could be why it takes so long to come down into the sweet spot?

3. I was told that in order to play fast, one must first practice slow, while cultivating a relaxed state of mind at the same time. The speed will increase over time. Important to have a relaxed state of mind while playing fast. This has worked for me and I have improved alot in a short time by trying it. if you want the drill I'll write it here as told to me. Very simple. Has been working for me really well so far. I feel much more in the zone and play with much more ease. No warming up either. I am the kinda guy that used to clench my teeth and get all hyped up when trying to play fast. I would actually find myself playing slower. Wierd.

Personally... if it is a hot day, between 5 and 10 minutes. Winter it can take 20 to 30 minutes.I was told the other day a funny story of a friend I was at school with years ago. He had a guitar made for him and travelled to the makers house - anyway after sitting down and 'warming up' for 45 minutes in front of the luthier, he then said in his broken English "Now I warmed up... I can try guitar out" [scared]

So that was another forty five minutes to which the luthier in the end said, "Sam I don't mind, but my wife is getting a little edgey as we have to be out soon"

Matt

Andy,

I have never really done a warm up regimen. Just dive in and play. I usually start feeling " off" as time goes on, which is the opposite of what you are experiencing. I think I get psychologically tired after long periods of playing. I even get hungry and tired (as in nap-tired).

Here are a few thoughts about your situation:

1. Do you think it could be a psychological relaxation that is happening once you get into it? Maybe it takes you time to relax in the mind? Or do you think it is a physical relaxation? I would think that it would be easier to decrease the time it takes for the head to relax, over the hands.

2. Do you think the ritualistic way you physically warm up causes you mental stress, which could be why it takes so long to come down into the sweet spot?

3. I was told that in order to play fast, one must first practice slow, while cultivating a relaxed state of mind at the same time. The speed will increase over time. Important to have a relaxed state of mind while playing fast. This has worked for me and I have improved alot in a short time by trying it. if you want the drill I'll write it here as told to me. Very simple. Has been working for me really well so far. I feel much more in the zone and play with much more ease. No warming up either. I am the kinda guy that used to clench my teeth and get all hyped up when trying to play fast. I would actually find myself playing slower. Wierd.

I definitely think that psychological relaxation has a lot to do with it.

The physical warm up is not so much ritualistic I don't do the same thing every time or anything. The physical stretching and stuff is because I am physically tight and "tense" and necessary to just get moving at all.

I have been working on my breathing and starting out slower and "searching for the touch and feel" before I start doing anything too fast or intense.

It's not like I pick up the guitar and can't rip out some blues licks or play well pretty quickly. There is just a time after playing for a few hours that I am playing at my peak and have that feeling like "Wow I'm about as good as anybody out there" I just can't always get there or it takes a few ours of intense playing to do it.

There was a couple times that I handed Dimebag a guitar and I know it was the first time he played that day. He would run through this little legato thing he tended to do for a minute or two and then would just start ripping it up. It was amazing to sit right next to him and watch that.

I guess for me it's like I lose that feel and have to find it every time I play. Kinda like riding a bike. When you first start riding you are a little wobbly for a while but then you get the feel and get to the point where you can just hop on and go. I have to go through the wobbles for a while before I get "The feel" that makes it a smooth ride.... I dunno?..... :blink:

I guess as an example I would say that I can pick up a guitar and rip out some pretty good blues licks or blues based leads and most rhythm stuff. Some of what I would call "harder" Solos I can play would be like the solo from Revelation Mother Earth ( Ozzy/Rhoads) or the Solo from Symphony of Destruction etc... but would be after I am really warmed up....

Andy

I never warm up [confused]

Maybe "warm up" is the wrong term.... What I mean is how long does it take for you to get to the point where you feel like you are playing at your best? Pick the hardest fastest solo etc... you know how to play. Can you pick up a guitar and rip it off right off the bat or do you have to play for a while before you can?

Andy

I warm up with scales. Usually takes about 10 minutes. But I have days when I can focus easily and days when I can't. When I can focus, I get in a zone where I don't have to think. When I can't, it becomes an effort.

I rarely play out. When I do play out, even for a lesson, it is harder for me to get focused. It is also harder for me to focus when the record button goes on. It is interesting, though, that when I am recording, I usually find my best stuff when I play it back, and don't realize it while I'm actually playing it.

Archived