Gibson Brands Forums

Do you think Zakk Wylde is one of the greats of guitar playing?

dem00n

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has Sig guitars, pedals, straps and even picks. Played with Ozzy.

He's always in guitar mags and hes quite popular on American tv.

I admire his playing and love the first two of the Ozzy albums he played on (NRftW, NMT) but he's not a great. Great guitar players, IMO, need to have influenced a generation of new famous players. In hard rock, the obvious names are the likes of Hendrix, Blackmore and Van Halen.......and even though he's a sloppy player and is not very technical I would put Ace Frehley way above ZW in being 'a great', simply because of the number of today's famous players whom he has influenced.

Well here's something about influencing a generation of guitar players- Slash

'Nuff said.

I could be out of date on the current music scene but his influence is mostly on teenage bedroom players from what I see.

I'd put him down as "Maybe one day" when he's the one inviting the generation he inflenced on the stage as opposed to the one being invited.

I could be out of date on the current music scene but his influence is mostly on teenage bedroom players from what I see.

Are they any less of a player because they just play in their bedroom? This is about influencing a generation of players, professional or not.

besides you said teenage, teenagers are the next generation.

He is not on my list of personal favorites. But, there is no way I could say he is NOT one of the great guitar players.

You have to give it to him. He filled some huge shoes. The public expectation of how awesome a guitarist has to be to follow RR and Jake e Lee. There are not many guitar players who even exist who could fill that spot as well as he has.

And he was there a LONG time. Good enough for Ozzy is good enough for me.

Where would we be without Wylde and Slash?

Zakk is the real deal - his live playing is phenomenal. Saw him play with Ozzy a couple of years back, the support band was Black Label - in my opinion he ended up being too good for Ozzy.

Where would we be without Wylde and Slash?

Zakk is the real deal - his live playing is phenomenal. Saw him play with Ozzy a couple of years back, the support band was Black Label - in my opinion he ended up being too good for Ozzy.

That's right !!!!!!!! Here's what Ozzy said yesterday about Zak's playing.....

" Hgdyrutjrhe, uh, ddfgfhiufn, gfyr wjdshg iojdfdncuf djufgh !!!!! dgrutygkg fyubfjeuh, and, jhruyfryr yfgdodkryr rhdfvgsrdjf fgfdydhb !!!!!!!!!! "

" Hgdyrutjrhe, uh, ddfgfhiufn, gfyr wjdshg iojdfdncuf djufgh !!!!! dgrutygkg fyubfjeuh, and, jhruyfryr yfgdodkryr rhdfvgsrdjf fgfdydhb !!!!!!!!!! "

That is hilarious!

People who stutter though ROCK!!

He is not on my list of personal favorites. But, there is no way I could say he is NOT one of the great guitar players.

You have to give it to him. He filled some huge shoes. The public expectation of how awesome a guitarist has to be to follow RR and Jake e Lee. There are not many guitar players who even exist who could fill that spot as well as he has.

And he was there a LONG time. Good enough for Ozzy is good enough for me.

Playing with Ozzy alone does not make someone one of the greats... but in Zakk's case I say he deserves that title.

First, he has influenced a huge amount of people, we just haven't heard them yet.

Second, the man had to fill the shoes of Randy Rhodes (one of the greatest of greats)and Jake E Lee. Others have tried and while they weren't bad if they were on the same level as these guys they would have lasted longer (sorry Brad Gillis and Joe Holmes).

3rd - he's had a career running parallel to and after Ozzy with BLS.

4th - the music he's done with Ozzy and BLS only scratches the surface of what he's capable of (Book of Shadows anyone?). I would love to hear him do an album strictly of the stuff he would not have put on a BLS or Ozzy album.

Even at 3 in the morning with a very sore throat I still laughed.

Archived