Gibson Brands Forums

10 terrible solo's by great guitarists

krock

Anyone playing live gets my sympathy and a 'Get Out of Jail Free' card. Anyone, and I really do mean anyone, can fcuk-up live.

Apart from that the list, stating-the-bloody-obvious, is just one person's viewpoint.

I've heard much worse than those listed but life's simply too short to ponder my own top-ten selection of other peoples crap solos. Pondering my own crap solos is bad enough....

P.

Anyone playing live gets my sympathy and a 'Get Out of Jail Free' card. Anyone, and I really do mean anyone, can fcuk-up live.

Granted...

But to ease my guilty complex, there are only two live solos on the list/in this post. And neither are here because of normal playing errors:

- Eddie Van Halen was playing in a different key the whole song (presumably guitar tuned differently), and had plenty of opportunity to rectify the problem (i.e. change guitars), before launching into the solo.

- Andy Summers was experimenting with some weird jazz scales, which he did the whole tour, which IMO didn't fit the song at all and had nothing to do with the original, recorded solo. No playing error here, just sheer bloody mindedness!

Otherwise I think this post is just a bit of harmless fun... If anything it serves to humanize some "star" guitarists and inspire others. Not everything they touch is gold... And maybe "my" playing isn't that bad in comparison after all. \:D/

- Eddie Van Halen was playing in a different key the whole song (presumably guitar tuned differently), and had plenty of opportunity to rectify the problem (i.e. change guitars), before launching into the solo.

If this is the Jump vid, the playback method was off, and the taped synth parts were between beats. Anyone that has ever had to tune, re-tune, switch to an in-tune guitar in a setting like he was in should know that is isn't possible to get in tune with a warbling tape/cd/dvd/iPod machine that is not spinning at the right speed to be in tune with you.

It's a real problem, most old guitar players remember having to constantly re-tune to records, because not all masters went down and zactly 33.3. This is a very similar idea. Don't know how they got started without checking it at least 73 times, I know we would have if we were using any sort of taped intro/outro type stuff.

I don't even really like VH, never did all that much, saw 1984 and it blew, saw them with Gary only because I wanted to see Gary and hang around for a while. But I still don't blame Edward for that. He can't hear jackola up there, guitar players should know that. The guys in back couldn't get a tuner up and going to get a guitar to that tape. And then a bass. And get the "singer" to find the right key would be impossible probably.

Epic Fail, for sure.

rct

If this is the Jump vid, the playback method was off

I've got far too much time... B)

This may be an old link, and I don't want to get into an argument about it (I didn't even post the EVH solo myself), but it looks as if the Greensboro incident was a guitar issue after all.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2007/10/29/van-halens-jump/

Regardless of that, I don't agree that he wouldn't/couldn't hear the problem. that would suggest the monitoring was out as well... Then he would REALLY be having a bad day!!

I do however agree that, whatever the reason, it was a technical problem and as such shouldn't really be on this list. (it wasn't my list :unsure: )

Mat

Apart from that the list, stating-the-bloody-obvious, is just one person's viewpoint.

I've heard much worse than those listed but life's simply too short to ponder my own top-ten selection of other peoples crap solos. Pondering my own crap solos is bad enough....

P.

And that is the truth right there.

If you haven't had a trainwreck live...well, anyone who has knows that avoiding and getting out of bad situations is a skill you gotta have. Not something that people like to dwell on, because it usually involves memories of embarrassment.

Sometimes, one can just get really, really away from you. You gotta take that somewhat as serious as you do your job...but you HAVE to laugh in the end too.

There are a bunch of spoof videos on YouTube that are really funny. If you type in the name of most any famous guitar player and the word "shreds" right after his name you should be able to find one of these. There are two or three "Eddie Van Halen Shreds" videos. The video and music (if you can call it music) are really well done so that it appears he is really playing what you hear. [laugh]

Well the Van Halen one was probably not his fault and he just did the best that the could do. Playing live is whole different ball game. I remember seeing Rush where Geddy Lee messed up the bass solo to Freewill. Happens to everyone.

Archived