Gibson Brands Forums

Walk the walk and talk the talk...

Flight959

Whilst I'm in the mood for some personal teasing here's me buggering about with 'Jigsaw Puzzle Blues'. I was originally toying with something else entirely and noodled this at the end. Sort of interesting-ish, in it's own way.

I already know all the cock-ups here but "Thanking You in Advance for Your Advice" anyhow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuThcGsDhXI

puppy.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've really got to take a moment and tell all you guys how much I've loved this thread. I've enjoyed every performance and think all members should be commended for having the cajones to post your stuff.

All of it's been great! You're all players in my book and I'd jam wit ya anytime.msp_thumbup.gif

You guys are truly inspiring and not a little intimidating.

I don't have a video camera but I do have a ZOOM multitrack recorder that I don't know how to use very well.

Is it considered cheating if I just jam along with a CD and post that?

I'm trying to grow some cajones and break the shyness crap.

Dave

I don't have anything recent, but this is some stuff I found lately on a backup hard drive. It's all stuff recorded between 1997 and 2001.

The first one I'll post here is a piece we called Poet's Lore. The poetry is arranged as if it's 2 poets having a conversation. The music in the background is mostly improvised and when we played it live we toyed with the arrangement and experimented constantly with ways to keep if from sounding the same - the whole point of it was to fill space when we had gigs that required us to play longer than our material would normally last. It ended up that we never knew how long this song would go on. It depended on how the crowd was digging it as much as how inspired the performance was. We'd usually wait until the middle of our gig to pull this one out. It had a loose structure but we if people were into it, we generally jammed it out until we ran out of ideas.

This was my pre gibson days and the recording was done in a small studio - I think it cost us $80 for the recording and the mixing was done for the cost of a case of beer. For gear I was using my old Ibanez PL2660 into a Peavey Rockmaster Tube Preamp that I fed into the power section of a Peavey Classic Chorus. For effects, I'd used nothing on this track except some reverb added during the mixing process.

Ruthy's_Groovs_-_Poets_Lore_(ruthy's_version).mp3

My very first venture into the public domain.

Be gentle but be honest.

A short acoustic sample

Bluesy

Please have a listen. I welcome constructive critisism.

Thanks

Hey David...you shouldn't be so shy with your stuff! You mentioned in an earlier post about using a Zoom multi-track...is it a Zoom R16 by chance? They're great little devices as far as I can tell. I love mine. Question though: on the acoustic recording you posted...Did you, by chance, have the gain completely cranked on the Zoom, but were also sitting somewhat far (more than, say, 4 feet) from the unit? I hear a hissy/air-y thing going on. I'm wondering (if I'm even right) if you'd get better sounding recordings if you tried sitting closer to the Zoom, and rolling the gain way back (again, I say all this assuming you're using something like the R16.

I think turning the gain down will eliminate all that air-y humming and sitting closer will have the guitar sounding more prominent. The built in condenser mics on my Zoom are very sensitive (like most condensers from what I understand). I hear through my own headphones exactly what I heard on your recording when my gain is up too high. It's amazing what they'll pick up...air moving through a vent, scratching your leg, etc etc...

Now, on the other hand, they way you recorded the Gary Moore track sounds cool. I'm guessing (again) you're just letting the mics pic up the room, and jamming along to a CD. It gives it a neat feel, IMO.

Hey David...you shouldn't be so shy with your stuff! You mentioned in an earlier post about using a Zoom multi-track...is it a Zoom R16 by chance? They're great little devices as far as I can tell. I love mine. Question though: on the acoustic recording you posted...Did you, by chance, have the gain completely cranked on the Zoom, but were also sitting somewhat far (more than, say, 4 feet) from the unit? I hear a hissy/air-y thing going on. I'm wondering (if I'm even right) if you'd get better sounding recordings if you tried sitting closer to the Zoom, and rolling the gain way back (again, I say all this assuming you're using something like the R16.

I think turning the gain down will eliminate all that air-y humming and sitting closer will have the guitar sounding more prominent. The built in condenser mics on my Zoom are very sensitive (like most condensers from what I understand). I hear through my own headphones exactly what I heard on your recording when my gain is up too high. It's amazing what they'll pick up...air moving through a vent, scratching your leg, etc etc...

Now, on the other hand, they way you recorded the Gary Moore track sounds cool. I'm guessing (again) you're just letting the mics pic up the room, and jamming along to a CD. It gives it a neat feel, IMO.

Thanks for your reply EvanPC. I was a little gun shy posting anything after hearing the quality playing on this thread. I picked up the guitar about 2 years ago after not playing since I was a teenager about 30 years ago. Still a BIG learning curve.

The recorder is a ZOOM H4N and I discovered the hiss was actually a large humidifier sitting about 3 feet behind me. I was playing the acoustic unplugged. And yes, the electric was just me jamming with a Gary Moore CD with the recorder in open air.. I got a little carried away and a little lost at times but I have to admit, it was fun. I think I would have had a better result if I didn't know I was being recorded.

Once again, thanks for the reply. I was hoping for some response. Good, bad or otherwise.

Dave

Archived