Gibson Brands Forums

chrome or gold hardware?

S t e v e

Depends on the guitar, and/or color, for me. I like Gold, Chrome, and Nickel.

Have no prejudice, one way or another. Some guitars just look amazing, with

Gold parts, other's not so much. So..."horses, for courses!" ;>)

One (personal) example:

Red "Cinnamon" LP Junior Lite, with (Stock, except for the TP6 tailpiece) Chrome Parts.

DSC_0016-2.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

And, same model (Black) LP Junior Lite, with (changed) Gold Parts.

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

CB

Guest farnsbarns

Personally I just don't like gold or chrome. Nickel every time, despite the fact that I am allergic to it! I think it's because frets, screw heads and strings are grey metal so have silver/grey metal hardware matches it (even the polished white/cream inlays are chromatically similar). Gold ads another colour. I suppose I like simple minimalist design in general.

Also, it the only option that looks better tarnished or worn off.

Hmmmmm....

I guess I've just taken guitars for playability and never really thought about gold, chrome or nickel other than as "what the guitar came with."

Yeah, gold especially can end up being worn more than the others. But chrome can wear off old pickups and they can show rust... Which reminds me, I've an old guitar that needs some cleanup. The same guitar has a gold tunamatic type bridge I put on it 35 years or so ago 'cuz that was what I had available even though the rest was "chrome."

Ah, well, mostly I think playability first and sound second. Appearance was something I cared about to a varying extent when I was a lot younger. Now... not really.

m

I love the gold hardware on my #1. It has almost completely worn off the bass side of the bridge, most of the pup screws, and some of the tuners. It looks like an instrument that has spent some time in the trenches.

It doesn't really matter what your hardware is plated with. If you play your instrument, the plating will eventually wear off. It is just less obvious with Nickel or Chrome because the metal under the plating is a similar color. The Chrome hardware on my #2 has held up very well, but you can see where it is wearing off.

The downside to the gold is that it can and often does fade. Some people like this as it shows wear and makes the guitar look as if it is frequently played and some say it looks horrible... and some others might not like gold at all and call it tacky looking.

Personally, the color of the hardware is my very last consideration when buying a guitar. I say try as many guitars as possible and take the best sounding one and don't worry about the hardware color. If the best sounding and playing guitar has gold so be it... if it has chrome or nickel hardware that's fine also as long as you like the feel and sound.

Archived