Gibson Brands Forums

Songs that blew your mind

Silenced Fred

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of a few artists who inspired me to branch out from Metal and learn Jazz. I can't get close to this guy's sound at all, but I love jazz and fusion. This was the first Al Di Meola song I'd ever heard... after that long synth into it's nothing but great guitar. [thumbup]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyLxDlgKcKM

Growing up in the 60's there was so much amazing music that left an indelible impression. The beatles, Hendrix, Cream...a very long list to put together.

But this totally blew my mind. I was at a friend's house and he said listen to this - it's brand new. I don't ever remember being slack jawed after hearing a record, and this did it. It still kills me, every time....

Okay, I know I'm an old F**t but the song that blew my mind and made we want to buy an electric guitar was "House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmdPQp6Jcdk

This song too, a lot of the songs from the 50s and 60s changed my life. I grew up listening to Oldies 104.3 in Chicago. It was either that or Radio Disney that my sister listened to. I liked Jim Croce, my sister liked Aaron Carter.

Oh, and Jim Croce. I used to sing along all the time to these songs. I loved the chorus so much, it made it my favorite song. That, and it was the first time I swore as a kid (damn) and my mom would only let me say it if I was singing along with the song, so I felt like such a badass [blush]

I never knew the words to Satisfaction so I'd just be in the back seat yelling random things to the melody when I was like 6. My mom hated it but those were the best times of my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaVPASJmeMU

I'm showing my age, but...the one song (of so many) that "blew" my mind,

was "Eight Miles High," by The Byrds! I had never heard anyone play a

"jazz" lead, on an electric 12-string, and so beautifully, too. Another

one, for making me crank of the radio every time it was on, for giving me

chills, too...Cream's "Crossroads," from "Wheels of Fire!" I still cannot

listen, to either one of those 2 particular songs...quietly! [biggrin]

CB

Guess I'll show my age too ...

What blew me away when I heard it the first time was "Hey Joe" and everything by

"The Byrds" . These were the years when there was innovation and passion in

Rock&Roll. Just listened to Steve Marriott again and was blown away again by

the fire in the performances back then.Makes me feel so alive and realise how blessed

I am to own all my great guitars and gear and play stuff like that("Dad Rock" ?)!

Keep on rockin' Oldtimer.

Julie London and "Cry Me a River" with Barney Kessel on guitar. Nothing but voice, guitar, bass and drums. At the time I didn't think, yeah, I wanna play guitar, but I think it definitely influenced how I thought about the general sort of music I wanted to play. Soon after it was a combination rock and jazz group when I was in high school. It was pre-Beatle... and I was soon to buy a guitar to be a folkie...

Folkie? Yup. I was doing "House of the Rising Sun" on acoustic guitar before I heard the rock version. It was great fun on an acoustic 12 I got to mostly do Leadbelly stuff - and the recording I had of him doing the piece was a lot different in the melody line.

CB - you talk about you showing your age? <chortle>

m

Well among others, is one that fits for today. I'm not kidding either, I Like To Dress Like Batman by the Rob Tognoni band (live at the Twilight) blew my mind the first time I heard it. I can't find it online though :(

The first time that I heard Itchycoo Park by the Small Faces I just flipped out-the flanging in it was the coolest thing that I'd ever heard.Are you Experienced,Foxy Lady,Voodoo Child(slight return) and Machine Gun by Jimi each one of them just floored me-absolutely unbelievable guitar work.

Archived