Gibson Brands Forums

The new Flood Anniversary edition

4Hayden

I think few guitars become collectable these days, there are just so many variations of the same model.

Talking about the flood I was a Joe Glaser's shop the other day and saw a bunch of guitars that they are still trying to save. Vintage and high end stuff, yikes, I cringed all the way back home just thinking about it.

There was a first "Limited Edition".....Folks bought them with the understanding that they were buying a model that would not

be remade.....Isn't this a second batch run ??? Just wondering..........

I think few guitars become collectable these days, there are just so many variations of the same model.

Talking about the flood I was a Joe Glaser's shop the other day and saw a bunch of guitars that they are still trying to save. Vintage and high end stuff, yikes, I cringed all the way back home just thinking about it.

The Gibson factory lost alot of vintage guitars during that flood,some that can never be replaced.I'm with you & hope they can save most of them.All that said these new flood guitars are fine!! can't wait till I get my green one in Dec. ](*,)

Never really be a collectible it's just a different paint job on a Studio if you really look at the basic concept. It's not even the first flood guitar released they have been selling some version of a "Flood" guitar ever sense the Mardi-Gra model was released after Katrina.

Nice enough looking guitars though kinda reminds me of the dipped easter egg kit that was available years back you spread the dye all over water then dipped the egg through the color. Wonder if that's how they painted these?

Never really be a collectible it's just a different paint job on a Studio if you really look at the basic concept. It's not even the first flood guitar released they have been selling some version of a "Flood" guitar ever sense the Mardi-Gra model was released after Katrina.

Nice enough looking guitars though kinda reminds me of the dipped easter egg kit that was available years back you spread the dye all over water then dipped the egg through the color. Wonder if that's how they painted these?

Have no idea how they painted them and I didn't buy it as a collectable,I liked the look and when I played it I liked the way the neck felt. So now it's mine and I have the green one on order. [rolleyes]

Have no idea how they painted them and I didn't buy it as a collectable,I liked the look and when I played it I liked the way the neck felt. So now it's mine and I have the green one on order. [rolleyes]

Thats the way to buy a guitar even if it never becomes valuable you still win big if you bought it as a player. They do look good and the finisj=h is unique if nothing else. The green one really ought to be amazing

If these were a limited run and labeled as such (each one produced numbered and limited to however many they planned to make) it could become more valuable than the average studio. Reason I think this is the way it will go is that while it doesn't appear to be any different from the rest except for it's colour, sometimes a not so common finish will add value. But if they are just as common as any other studio (cherry, alpine white, etc) then maybe not.

Now if it was a dramatically different variation with a combination of features that are exclusive to that guitar (like how my Les Paul Push Tone has the interchangable pickups and a mix of other features usually reserved for high end production models or Custom shop instruments) and is limited to only 1000 (I have LP Push Tone #96 of 1000) there's a greater chance for it to become valuable.

In todays world of mass production I don't think there are many guitars to become hot collectables. There are just too many. Maybe if you find a few upstart companies that are still building things by hand and selling relatively cheap but are starting to make a name for themselves the way Ibanez, Charvel/Jackson, and PRS did a few decades ago before they got really popular and got one of their early models now, it would be worth something if the company got to be the size Gibson, Fender, and the previously mentioned brands are today.

My prediction is (and I just held an envelope to my head so it's legit), if they take off they won't be collectible because many will be bought and saved by collectors and careful guitarists. If they DON'T take off and start selling for cheap to guitarist who buy one just to get their hands on a Gibson, then they start showing up at parties and gigs and getting attention shortly after they're discontinued they'll be collectible.

(OK, I cheated. That's what happened to the Paisley Strats and Tele's from the late 60's, I just superimposed one scenario over the other.)

Except that paisleys didn't show up at parties shortly after they were discontinued. Fender dealers actually would give you a paisley or a floral if you bought one of the <shudder> Zodiacs. We thought they looked wounded, like clotting blood around the edges when they occasionally showed up and were pointed and laughed at. Paisleys were awful. Period. Anyone that bought one was lucky to keep the paper on, the famous kid has probably had his redone just to keep the paper looking that good, and I think the Crook he uses is indistinguishable from the real ones, he duplicated the orignal paper.

So there was not even any interest at all in them again until 15 years later. And probably if Fender Japan had anything else to do and wasn't looking to make something to add to the ever growing line of strats and teles, they prolly wouldn'ta done it either.

The intarwebz are fulla stories. Not all of them match what people lived through. If anyone lived through different and had a buddy that loved his paisley or had one and foolishly sold it 20 years later, by all means, please put it up here, I'd be innerested to hear how it was for others.

rct

I think Region has a lot to do with the stories you'll hear. They were pretty popular on the West Coast at Surf Parties and Hippie Things. Not an Interweb Story, it's my Dad's story. He was in the scene back in the 60's when you could pick up a Paisley Tele for practically nothing, then I was around in the 80's when they became popular again, and the Japanese model was introduced. That kind of killed the short lived resurgence of the model.

Now, if you can find a Paisley or Flower Fender form the 60's it's gonna cost you quite a lot of dough. Even the MIJ ones are fetching more than a Typical MIJ from the 80's.

Thats the way to buy a guitar even if it never becomes valuable you still win big if you bought it as a player. They do look good and the finisj=h is unique if nothing else. The green one really ought to be amazing

I'll show it to you in Dec.

• 1 month later...

Archived