Gibson Brands Forums

Cleaning any part of your guitar

4Hayden

I've tried all types of cleaning agents over the years,but a friend told me about vinegar and it's uses.So I Googled the uses of vinegar.And sure enough the stuff will clean anything and doesn't hurt you guitar.And white vinegar is cheap plus doesn't take much to do the job.Doesn't streak or leave a film try it you'll like it.

Guest Farnsburger

I've tried all types of cleaning agents over the years,but a friend told me about vinegar and it's uses.So I Googled the uses of vinegar.And sure enough the stuff will clean anything and doesn't hurt you guitar.And white vinegar is cheap plus doesn't take much to do the job.Doesn't streak or leave a film try it you'll like it.

Viniger is acetic acid, it is used for ageing nickel parts so be careful. Also, I would think it would effect nitrocellulose over time, perhaps you know otherwise?

Viniger is acetic acid, it is used for ageing nickel parts so be careful. Also, I would think it would effect nitrocellulose over time, perhaps you know otherwise?

Know I don't know otherwise I Just read what it said about cleaning and it didn't mention that.But I will check it out and get back to you. [thumbup]

There's no way vinegar or lighter fluid is going anyway near my guitar..........jus' sayin'!

You need to be careful not to take it to a shop for work then as lighter fluid is often the chic to clean off and major stains or paint, It's also the only substance I know that can remove the layer of yellow stinking tar that a guitar owned by a heavy smoker and/or by bar players end up with on there gear.

I use clarified ostrich urine mixed with .002% uber crushed mastadon rib bone, 3.6% purified New Zealand bubbled water,

1.2% oil from two year old Bungayeetoe tree leaves, .004% geniuine nople gum tree surup, .0032% crushed Hawaiian

white pearls, and .00067% FDA approved dyes # 6, 85, 25, and 12........Boiled and strained, of course..........................

I use clarified ostrich urine mixed with .002% uber crushed mastadon rib bone, 3.6% purified New Zealand bubbled water,

1.2% oil from two year old Bungayeetoe tree leaves, .004% geniuine nople gum tree surup, .0032% crushed Hawaiian

white pearls, and .00067% FDA approved dyes # 6, 85, 25, and 12........Boiled and strained, of course..........................

You too? [biggrin]

Sounds like a recipe for the worst soup ever

Damian,

I can truly appreciate your sense of humor, you made my day sir.

[lol]

Yeah - Some people tend to do what everybody else does. Some people tend to want to believe that there's always some better way to do stuff. Those are the "reinvent the wheel" types. I'm an engineer, so I do stuff that other people have already figured out.

Vinegar's probably fine, although if you don't rinse it well, your metal parts might start complaining. Why not try soap and water? That's cheaper than vinegar and it doesn't smell and it won't corrode stuff. Or something made to clean wood finishes. You're better off using a surfactant, like soap or some kind of detergent, than using an oxidizer, like acid.

If you have tar on your guitar, use something more aggressive like a strong solvent. If you have some sweat stains on there, you can use water with a little soap or something not so aggressive. No one cleaner is suitable for all cleaning. You should use the least aggressive cleaner that you can depending on what you want to clean.

But dissolving the dirt is better than oxidizing it.

I'm sure there's other homestyle remedies out there too. Cheap is good!!

That explains the reason why you go into a trance and sound just like Hendrix when you play your Strat.

My daughter uses it for every day household cleaning. She uses the white vinegar mixed with water in a spray bottle. She cleans everything with it. She did mention that she noticed that after she began using it to clean house, she almost never sees a fly in the house. The few that she does see are dead. =D>

Use the white vinegar as there is absolutely NO after smell. We visited her once. Until she told us what she cleaned with I had no idea. Being a bit of a goof, I stuck my nose down on the kitchen counter top that had recently been cleaned, NO SMELL!

It's cheap and natural is why she uses it. An empty spray bottle purchased for the purpose can cost as much as a spray bottle of commercial cleaner. I suspect that when you buy commercial cleaners, most of what you are paying for is the spray bottle.

I once went to a fast food fish restaurant, who will remain un-named. It was obvious when you walked in the door they cleaned with vinegar as the vinegar smell hit you like a ton of bricks. It wasn't a pleasant pickle smell, it was more like stale wash cloth. My guess is they used the company issue, brown, malt vinegar. WHile it tastes good on the fish, when it has time to 'age' whooowee! =; .... use the clear stuff. [thumbup]

Truth be told, it is probably what Great-grandma used before "Better living through chemistry" came along. [scared]

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

I have no idea how it will affect fancy, schmancy nitro cellulose finishes, or any other kind of finish, but on kitchen cabinets, and appliances it's great stuff.

There's no way vinegar or lighter fluid is going anyway near my guitar..........jus' sayin'!

I concur. Damn Gibson sell their own cleaners and polish designed for the Nitro. I would say for the $12 a bottle it is here its worth it. I have had one bottle for 3 years and works a treat. The only non gibson product I use is some Dunlop lemon Oil for the fretboard stuff is magic.

You need to be careful not to take it to a shop for work then as lighter fluid is often the chic to clean off and major stains or paint, It's also the only substance I know that can remove the layer of yellow stinking tar that a guitar owned by a heavy smoker and/or by bar players end up with on there gear.

My shop uses cut and polish (very carefully) I'd keep Lighter fluid away from Nitro as much as possible it aint the most stable of products even once set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacquer#Nitrocellulose_lacquers

Archived