Gibson Brands Forums

Eric Clapton playing the Blues...

pippy

I'm curious.

There are recordings featuring Slowhand playing the blues covering a period of over 45 years.

What album do Forumites think features his finest playing?

There are old favourites and absolute classics such as the 'Beano' and 'Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs' and so on and on and on...

Mine, FWIW, is 'From the Cradle'. I believe if this came out in '65 we'd all hold it in higher regard than anything he's ever done.

Which is yours?

And, of course, there is no wrong or right answer.

P.

I was at a show from this tour. Carl Radle was bass man, so I got to see him. George Terry was Other Guitar Player and Yvonne Elliman wasn't famous yet.

Have You Ever Loved A Woman, the opener alone is an abject lesson in blues guitar playing to an arena audience. I had been playing a few years when this appeared. The exchange between him and George culminates in the riff that made me burn to be a guitar player and still does. It's right before they find their way back from the solo.

Ramblin On My Mind is yet another lesson in cheap white kid blues, what most of the illuminati call pentatonic crap. If this stuff is crap, I'ma crap lover.

Eric%20Clapton%20-%20E.C.%20Was%20Here_0.jpg

rct

To me, EC has always been a first rate player, "Blues" or otherwise.

He has never disappointed, in concert, and I've seen him many times.

He has his really "inspired" nights, like any other great player,

but is never "bad!" A "favorite" album, of his, is hard for me, because

I love so many of them. I admit, I love his "tone," with a Gibby, and

Marshall amp combination. But, his Strat work is great, too....I just

prefer the tone, of his John Mayall/"Beano," and "Cream" period, the most.

There are certain songs, he's done, though, where the "Strat" sound is

perfect, for the song. With the last "Cream" reunion concerts, I would have

(personally) preferred, if he would have used the Gibson/Marshall combination,

for those songs. The Strat/Fender Tweed Twin, just didn't quite have the same

vibe, or moxy, if you like. But, even so, his playing was great, as always.

CB

No denying he's great. I love the rawness of his early stuff but From The Cradle can't be beat. I think a lot of the reason that some don't like him is because of the "Clapton is God" stuff. That's really unfounded. It was a mistake. It was supposed to read "Clapton is Good".

Thanks to everyone for posting.

And I'd second the 'Nice to see Surfpup' back sentiment!

Interesting to see the variation across the board from his more introspective acoustic playing to his heavier (-est?) stuff with Cream.

Thanks also to those who posted clips - most were new to me.

I was surprised (and delighted) to note how little gain he was using in the SRV tribute. I much prefer his playing when he uses less gain.

Although FTC is my fave Clapton Blues album, my favourite blues track has always been "Steppin' Out". I'm still miffed that I no longer have it as my cell-phone ring-tone since I got my new i-phone a fortnight ago.

P.

I grew up with, and was totally inspired by Eric's playing from mid 60's on

Shame the Yardbirds didn't continue...there was enough guitar creativity to beat anyone...

Personally I prefer Eric in a tight combo like Cream with strong rapport and interaction with the other members

Rather than the often bland 'rhythm sections' which have joined him post Cream

The synergy resulting from B-B-C is IMO unequalled and totally enthralling to this day

Bruce and Baker brought hitherto unheard of ideas/rhythms/charisma to the fore....and had deserved mega-success

And of course...Eric knocking around with Jimi and the Beatles at that time stoked the celebrity machine

Then there are the more recent solo acoustic performances...fine playing and genuine soulful vocals.....

V

:-({|=

Cheers, Matt!

That's another clip I hadn't previously seen. Clearly, I don't spend anywhere near enough of my time searching youtube!

The sheer pleasure all three of them experience from playing together is almost tangible!

Hmmmmmm.............three Strats in that one clip alone........Time to redress the balance a little in Gibson's favour, methinks!

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1eLguycGpg

BTW...Is that a circa '57 Byrdland, does anybody know ? Whatever it is; I Want One ! ! !

Then there are the more recent solo acoustic performances...fine playing and genuine soulful vocals.....

:-({|=

That's something that is often overlooked. IMHO he has become a great blues vocalist in his own right. 'From the Cradle' even sees him, on the odd occasion, in the role of a traditional Blues Shouter.

P.

That's something that is often overlooked. IMHO he has become a great blues vocalist in his own right. 'From the Cradle' even sees him, on the odd occasion, in the role of a traditional Blues Shouter.

P.

Yes and it's amazing when you look back at the Beano album that John M had to really convince Eric to sing more and find his voice.

I really should get the "Beano" album some day. Being a guitar player, that album just seems to be like "required reading", and I've never even listen to it, let alone owned it.

I think the last Clapton album I bought was "From the Cradle" back in the 90s. It's good IMO, but I honestly don't care as much for his playing on everything since "Journeyman". He seems to overuse the trill as a way to appear like he's playing faster. :-k Now i still think he's one of the great, iconic players of all time. I just would prefer to listen to his earliest stuff.

I love Cream, but would have to list the "Layla.." album as my favorite. Probably because of his interaction with Duane Allman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK9E6-Eu3-Y

I love the way it seems like he's played every song in Rock and Blues history. He seems so comfortable playing anything, covers, traditional stuff, his own stuff, stuff written for him, he's not afraid to cover his contemporaries or play on their albums. One of my favorite solos by E.C. is on "Wish it would Rain Down" by Phil Collins.

Archived