Gibson Brands Forums

Your Favorite Guitar you own

thevalleygirl

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have several guitars and they go in and out of the rotation so it's hard to say I have a favorite guitar. At the moment I have 4 guitars leaning against the wall of my new place in Oakland, two small and two medium sized:

Bubinga Blues King

Martin 00-18vs (12 fret mahogany)

CJ-165 Maple

Martin OM-21 (rosewood)

These four offer a lot of choices like 12 vs 14 fret, short vs long scale and the various timbres available from bubinga, maple, mahogany, and rosewood. I tend to play different types of tunes on different guitars. Pretty soon one of these will go in the case and I'll get out an acoustic archtop.

Jerry, you're close.... we should hook up sometime and play!

It looks like 'the birds' have most of the votes for their favorites (hummers and doves) It looks like I'm going to have to add one of those to MY stable (which means working more and keeping up the economy). Lot's of beautiful guitars on this post, and great owners, if one can really 'own' a guitar, I think they own you. On to my new topic (go to the new topic I started in forums), check it out - Pictures of Stables

Two what look like same specced Hummingbirds.... any particular reason for that ?

Asking becasue Im wondering whether its not overkill to add a HB TV to the herd even though I already own a 69' Bird.

Well one Bird (more red than the other) is a 2003, custom binding covering the frets, the other is 2010 doesn't have the binding covering the frets.. The 2003 is a bit more mellow.

The 2010 has the fishman pup and played unplugged has more volume than the 2003. In a gigging situation the 2010 is used. For sitting around the house the 2003 is used.

Playing both guitars with a friend they have slightly different tonal qualitys. Another reason I have two birds besides loving them, I could not pass up a good deal on the 2003 bird.

And no I am not rich, broke at the moment, starting to save again. No more guitars for awhile.

My favorite is my '05 J-45 Historic Collection. It's not Adirondak red spruce or hide glue or Madagascar or Brazilian anything, just basic Sitka and mahogany and EIR with some Kluson repro tuners and a stock Fishman Matrix natural pickup. Even still has the stock plastic bridge pins and Tusq saddle and bridge. No matter - it has the DNA of ever old Gibson I've ever played, from my mentor's '62 J-50 he bought new at Bibb Music in Macon ($162.50!) to the '50 J-45 I had resurrected from the wreckage created when neck blocks pop loose, through L-00s regretfully not purchased, all the way back to the early '30s L-4 roundhole archtop that may have been the sternest teacher I ever had. It ESPECIALLY feels just like my much-missed '60 LG-2, but with the warm, breathy, present sound of every old round-shouldered Gibson I've ever loved.

It does what I want it to do, and it sounds the way I want a guitar to sound. So it's my only steel-stringed guitar now - I sold all the others, because, you know, why bother? I sold off the far more expensive Taylor that I spent a dozen years trying to convince myself was my keeper guitar. I sold off the Telecaster I owned for 30 years. The Guilds are all long gone now. The classical guitar my father bought me in 1979 sleeps in its case under the bed, perhaps for one of my children to play someday. It's fine. Any other guitar could only be in addition to, not in place of.

The only other instrument I play now is my '50s Favilla U-2 soprano ukulele, mostly while sitting in a lawn chair watching my kids play in the back yard.

My fave guitar today is the one on the Fedex flight on its way to my place via Honolulu!

Ha Ha!

BluesKing777.

I was camping by the mailbox waiting for my latest (secret as yet!), and only came inside because of a lack of food and water to find my package has been delayed at the customs ogre...

BluesKing777.

My favorite is my '05 J-45 Historic Collection. It's not Adirondak red spruce or hide glue or Madagascar or Brazilian anything, just basic Sitka and mahogany and EIR with some Kluson repro tuners and a stock Fishman Matrix natural pickup. Even still has the stock plastic bridge pins and Tusq saddle and bridge. No matter - it has the DNA of ever old Gibson I've ever played, from my mentor's '62 J-50 he bought new at Bibb Music in Macon ($162.50!) to the '50 J-45 I had resurrected from the wreckage created when neck blocks pop loose, through L-00s regretfully not purchased, all the way back to the early '30s L-4 roundhole archtop that may have been the sternest teacher I ever had. It ESPECIALLY feels just like my much-missed '60 LG-2, but with the warm, breathy, present sound of every old round-shouldered Gibson I've ever loved.

It does what I want it to do, and it sounds the way I want a guitar to sound. So it's my only steel-stringed guitar now - I sold all the others, because, you know, why bother? I sold off the far more expensive Taylor that I spent a dozen years trying to convince myself was my keeper guitar. I sold off the Telecaster I owned for 30 years. The Guilds are all long gone now. The classical guitar my father bought me in 1979 sleeps in its case under the bed, perhaps for one of my children to play someday. It's fine. Any other guitar could only be in addition to, not in place of.

The only other instrument I play now is my '50s Favilla U-2 soprano ukulele, mostly while sitting in a lawn chair watching my kids play in the back yard.

I feel your pain...or is it joy?

I feel your pain...or is it joy?

It's joy. It is a real blessing to know that the guitar I currently own really IS my favorite guitar that I have ever owned, ever, period - and to have that knowledge now, while it is still in my life, instead of figuring it out too late.

Aaaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhh!!!! That must be so frustrating!

That is the word! FFFFFF.....

And perhaps why they have decided to keep my new guitar for the weekend - mental picture of some fat slob with cigar and dirty shirt at Customs strumming my new guitar, possibly without washing his hands.

BluesKing777.

That is the word! FFFFFF.....

And perhaps why they have decided to keep my new guitar for the weekend - mental picture of some fat slob with cigar and dirty shirt at Customs strumming my new guitar, possibly without washing his hands.

BluesKing777.

Don't forget drooling into the soundhole. Sympathies...

Archived