Gibson Brands Forums

Your Favorite Guitar you own

thevalleygirl

That is the word! FFFFFF.....

And perhaps why they have decided to keep my new guitar for the weekend - mental picture of some fat slob with cigar and dirty shirt at Customs strumming my new guitar, possibly without washing his hands.

BluesKing777.

is that the cavity search guy ? :-s

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have three I 'main' acoustic guitars that I love equally, at the moment the one below is being played the most...He is 'Tony' (a 1991 Tony Johnson model)

Screenshot2011-10-08at151348.png

I use a plectrum for this and improvise gypsy jazz on him - I call him Jean Luc. (a 2010 Roy Eneas manouche guitar)

Royal1.jpg

and finally my beloved Rik! (a 2001 Rik Middleton classical guitar)

29759_386953153190_790998190_4006558_3497804_n.jpg

p.s

I am not kidding/screwing with anyone, but while in Spain I saw a really nice looking guitar case in a junk shop. I went in and asked to look and it was guitar and case for 80 euros! (about $120) It is a branded guitar made by Manuel Rodriguez and would retail new for about £300 over here and the case (a lovely vintage beige beauty) would be £90 plus.

Aside from the above and much more important was that as soon as I played it I was quite taken aback by how sweet it sounded. It had a sound all of it's own! So now back in England he has joined the family [thumbup]

Matt

Man, what a beautiful batch of guitars for sure.

It really is getting to be a chore though! I mean the 'few' carrying the 'many'....Not to get political mind you... [glare]

It's the same old 80/20 rule that has been around forever. You know 80% of the work being done by 20% of the people. In this case, 80% of the gits being owned by 20% of the players. [flapper]

Finally found my snapshots of my favs, kind of favs that is. Till I play one of the others.

Aster

2010 Dove (in photo is 2010 J-45 Custom too)

DoveJ45.jpg

2010 Ric 330 Fireglo (in photo is 2010 60th Anny Tele)

Ric330FGTele.jpg

Just a dumb question here if someone knows "the real answer" to it. On a few of my acoustic guitars, see the Dove & J-45 photo, the top soundboard match is near perfect visually. But, when held at different angles the 1/2 sides that are joined in the middle change "color" like those vinyl cards that show 2 different images when you change the angle in the light. Depending on the angle the light strikes them they match or not match. And the angle changes the side that is light vs darker too. Does anyone else have guitars that do that, or did I just get "special" custom made color changers? [confused] Don't think all my acoustics do that. Will have to check the J-160E and some others when I get to it.

Thanks

Aster

Man, what a beautiful batch of guitars for sure.

It's the same old 80/20 rule that has been around forever. You know 80% of the work being done by 20% of the people. In this case, 80% of the gits being owned by 20% of the players. [flapper]

Finally found my snapshots of my favs, kind of favs that is. Till I play one of the others.

Aster

2010 Dove (in photo is 2010 J-45 Custom too)

DoveJ45.jpg

2010 Ric 330 Fireglo (in photo is 2010 60th Anny Tele)

Ric330FGTele.jpg

Hummm good looking Dove !!! [love]

Just a dumb question here if someone knows "the real answer" to it. On a few of my acoustic guitars, see the Dove & J-45 photo, the top soundboard match is near perfect visually. But, when held at different angles the 1/2 sides that are joined in the middle change "color" like those vinyl cards that show 2 different images when you change the angle in the light. Depending on the angle the light strikes them they match or not match. And the angle changes the side that is light vs darker too. Does anyone else have guitars that do that, or did I just get "special" custom made color changers? [confused] Don't think all my acoustics do that. Will have to check the J-160E and some others when I get to it.

Thanks

Aster

I think I know what you are talking about. Yes, my sj200 changes 'flame' formations when turned from side to side.

.....when held at different angles the 1/2 sides that are joined in the middle change "color".....

It's known as grain runout. It happens when the wood is not perfectly quarter sawn with the grain of the spruce. The color change is the visual appearance of looking at some end grain in the wood. It's hard to explain, but here's a link to a page with photos and a pretty good explaination......

Grain Runout on Acoustic Tops

With regards to th "grain runout", on of th things that I've always loved about my AJ is that the top doesn't have grin runout. At every angle the to pieces ar th same tint. I've seen so many bi-colored ops in guitar stores I feel as if I lucked out. It seems like more oftn than not there is grin runout present in new guitars of 2011-2012. I wonder if the woods are getting hard to come by, and I mean even Sitka.

Of course my week old ES-175, it is stunning (need to get used to the cracks or let it repair or what ever)...but it is definetely my best guitar...but no story with me and she yet.

But the next 3...we have lived together very long now :)

I was browsing a sellers website, he sold old vintage Gibsons and all of a sudden this dobro was standing between the over 10k$ guitars.

I was thinking this is going to be way over my budget so I called him and he said it came with a bunch of Gibsons he bought and he had no idea what to do with it and I could have it for 300$. I did not found any information on it just the name: Kimberley in golden letters on the head.

So I drove 300miles and bought it. I cleaned it, made a new bridge of a wood that is a little to hard but it makes it sound the way I want. (buxus)

dobro1.jpg

This is my first "Axe", a friend of mine makes guitars, he made this one for me.

I was used to play spanish, classics, nylon stringed guitars. I told him I wanted a spanky electric guitar with a neck that was as wide as a nylon spanish guitar.

He told me I was a fool, a good guitar like that with such a wide neck..foolish, but...hey, it plays wonderfull...you need to get used to it :)

DSCF2523.jpg

Then there is my old Washburn (40 years), it slept outside with me, I was in France with it playing on the markets to earn bread and wine when I was 20.

washburn.jpg

My top 5

1. '07 J45 Custom, Adirondack and mahogany
  2. '69 mahogany Tele Thinline Reissue
  3. Epiphone Masterbilt DR500P--maple dread, bright loud, fantastic neck
  4. "pre-Tender Tericaster"--partscaster tele with AV52RI hardware, allparts fat maple neck, and super light USACG body with strat contours finished in banana pudding nitro
  5. Squier Bullet Strat--with a good setup and decent tuners these guys are a great value at $119

And this...not my favorite uke but it's always handy. Bonus points to whomever can identify the dam.

13339_1236923173507_1542083553_640083_229555_n.jpg

I'm wondering what everyones flavor is. A new discussion that is probably an old one, but I'm curious... I thought I'd put my top 5 in order:

1) I play my 2010 J45 - Brad Paisley Artist Series probably the most, it is easy to handle and sounds gutsy.

2) I think my 2010 Hummingbird 12 has the best sound texture.

3) Martin D Custom, bright tones

4) 1975 Takamine, Trustworthy.

5) 2001 SJ200 is pretty but hard for me to play but very pretty!

Wow, so many guitars a girl have ? sort of rare, isn't it ?

A chick hugging a guitar looks most beautiful ! unresistable...hehe..

Any soundclips by you ? glad to exchange feeling of guitar...

At present, Luthier's Choice J-35 by Ren is my fav..

Archived