Gibson Brands Forums

Whats the strangest guitar youve almost or did buy

Rabs

That I own? My Silvertone 1448. The case has a little tube amp in it. Got it in 1996 for ~$250 if I remember correctly.

l.jpg

l.jpg

I forgot all about that one!

the only difference between it & yours was mine was the same silver(grey)flake as the case.

got it @ a yard-sale for $20 in '82, cleaned the tube sockets, and played it for about a month before the case CAUGHT FIRE.

i'd left it plugged in while I went to the kitchen to make a sandwich, and within about 15 minutes it had started burning, also burning my bedroom carpet and bedspread.

the entire rig got tossed at that point.

keep an eye on yours, they can go "up in smoke" before you know it!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot all about that one!

the only difference between it & yours was mine was the same silver(grey)flake as the case.

got it @ a yard-sale for $20 in '82, cleaned the tube sockets, and played it for about a month before the case CAUGHT FIRE.

i'd left it plugged in while I went to the kitchen to make a sandwich, and within about 15 minutes it had started burning, also burning my bedroom carpet and bedspread.

the entire rig got tossed at that point.

keep an eye on yours, they can go "up in smoke" before you know it!!

The amp is not the best design. There is no ground so, as one amp tech told me, it is a death trap so make sure you are *always* wearing rubber soled shoes when playing it.

It was my first guitar 1972 Gibby SG200 (I still have)

The neck angle is weird, the ashtray cover is strange, and the nylon saddles on the bridge is something different.... It really is a different bread of SG

083-1.jpg

And some great examples they are! Love that White Falcon (been gassing for a Gretsch for some time now...)

the White Falcon is lovely to play - and sounds amazing - especially with a bit of reverb and when you give the Bigsby a subtle wiggle......

save up those pennies and treat yourself....!

It would make a nice "touring guitar"! And I bet you could put some miles on it! Maybe play some Americana rock on it?!? I better stop now...

It is a pretty huge gimmick (like something a certain band that wears makeup and acts like superheros would do...), but I bet all that wood sounds great!

Lots of sustain!

The two I encountered back then were awful. Very heavy, very unbalanced, dull sounding, both of them. It was an Epiphone that Gibson stole. I remember Eurythmics guy Dave Stewart(Stuart?) using one, but that's about it.

rct

The two I encountered back then were awful. Very heavy, very unbalanced, dull sounding, both of them.....

I must say one of the first things I thought was the position of the rear strap-pin suggested it would be very difficult to balance when strapped-on.

But were they not intended to be just a silly gimmick which dealers could hang on walls? I think they're totally hideous - but then the outline of the USA isn't 'special' to me.

Perhaps if they were made in the shape of Scotland it might appeal more....?.......:-k

Scotlandguitar.png

Nah.

P.

I must say one of the first things I thought was the position of the rear strap-pin suggested it would be very difficult to balance when strapped-on.

But were they not intended to be just a silly gimmick which dealers could hang on walls? I think they're totally hideous - but then the outline of the USA isn't 'special' to me.

Perhaps if they were made in the shape of Scotland it might appeal more....?.......:-k

Scotlandguitar.png

Nah.

P.

I guess you'd have to peek through a fjord to see what you're doing!

I guess you'd have to peek through a fjord to see what you're doing!

[laugh]

Perhaps there's a good reason almost all electrics are based roughly on the same 4 designs.

Hey, at least I could find somewhere with enough 'meat' to stick the electrics. Just imagine if I had been Chilean............[scared]

Upper-fret access would be good, I suppose...

P.

About four years ago, I bought a Far East-made B. C. Rich Perfect 10 in Dragon Blood finish, and with that time all black pickups.

It was well playable and provided useful sound switches, and so seemed to be rather flexible. But the workmanship varied from good as of wood, fretting, and lacquer, to poor with respect to hardware, assembly, and mounting precision. Both bridges and machine heads appeared to be genuine string killers. The bridge position failed to meet the scale, too. Sometimes the octave respectively doubled strings which are reversely mounted - ball ends to the headstock, machine heads in a bent and wedged notch at the lower body end - even broke at the lower end of the bridge housing.

So I finally returned it, and bought some very useful recording gear for the money.

post-43982-039846700 1338314279_thumb.jpg

I don't know if I would call them strange or odd but I have a few that are a little different than the norm.

Fouke industrial guitars - all industrial type aluminum but they wail as a slide guitar

imageMain_0_3.jpg

imageMain_0_1.jpg

Chapman stick in maple

IMG_0015.jpg

Trussarts metal guitars - I have several another great guitar that sadly not to many people get a chance to play

Original-5-1.jpg

Steelcastercloseup.jpg

DSC03578-1.jpg

Original-1.jpg

Gibsons custom shop Epiphone Wilshire - one of my favorites

Wilshire-White-Finish-Shot.jpg

A Gibson Mardi-gra finish - auctioned to raise money for Katrina

Katrinabigfront.jpg

Godin Glissentar- 11 string fretless great sounding like all the Multiac's

DV016_Jpg_Large_511873091_natural.jpg

Oh yeah how could I forget.. I once had a Pignose travel guitar (kinda lost it)... man oh man that little thing was just amazing for what it is.. You get a full sized neck and a tiny body. But it plays almost like a pro instrument.. They only cost about £200 brand new and I suggest that if you ever see one you try it out.. You will be suprised how good that little thing is.. It has a built in amp and overdrive and even feeds back.. really cool (I will buy another one when I get a job some day :))

Gibsons custom shop Epiphone Wilshire - one of my favorites

Wilshire-White-Finish-Shot.jpg

I love those beauties. Had an Epiphone Coronet reissue in college. The comfort in playing that type of double cutaway. Only thing better is an SG. I ended up selling mine because the neck wasn't planed correctly so adjusting the action to a comfortable level and not have higher notes fretting out was impossible. Would love a Wilshire like yours or a sixties Coronet.

When I was a kid my aunt gave me a Danelectro U1(?) as a gift. It had one knob and one lipstick pickup. It was aqua green and had what appeared to be masking tape surrounding on the side of the guitar. Oh I think it also had a wooden bridge. I didn't really care for the guitar at the time so I kept it for a couple years and then sold it to a friend of mine who wanted to learn to play guitar.

Recently I was wondering what ever happened to the guitar because now I'm realizing just how cool it actually was. So I contact my friend who had since moved away and he mentioned selling it to another friend. So, long story short, after all of my tracking I learned that this guitar had changed owners 5 times in 10 years but has not left a five mile radius from where I live.

The current owner isn't interested in selling the guitar because their kids play it which doesn't upset me because it's still around and still being played but the owner did say that if they ever decide to sell the guitar that they will call/email me to see if I still am interested.

Archived