Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Storage/Display

thejay

Do you detune these guitars that are not in regular use?

Bob

I don't have guitars that are not in regular use.

One great thing about hanging your guitars up high on the wall is if you end up with 3 feet of river running through your house they are safe.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cringe at the thought of my only guitar's (one acoustic and one electric) falling from height's and becoming kindling! They are not high-end axe's by far and are very replaceable and I would not cry for long, just wish I still had some thing to play if something did happen to them. If I had money and could afford multiple guitars I think I would like to have a room just for displaying some. I would of coarse have some that I keep in there case when I'm not using them (as I do now). My electric guitar is in a floor-stand most all the time as it needs a new neck, it's not very playable so I just use it for figuring out song's that I want to cover if it's late at night and every ones asleep.

epiincase.jpg

I'd like to add that I'd have to have a room just for drum's too so the drummer in me wouldn't get pissed! LOL!

• 4 months later...

Purpose built guitar cabinet!

398.jpg

353.jpg

357.jpg

Regards

Reviving this thread.

I took the above pictures to an unfinished furniture shop not to far from me that can also make custom stuff, stain it, and add felt.

I asked them to have five shelves for the guitars instead of four though like in Flights pics above.

This was the quote I got.

Hi Corey

I have the prices for the guitar cabinets

They are :

a) $2279.95 With Felt

B) 1519.95 No Felt

They would take 3 to 4 weeks to build

Good gosh, is the the going rate?

This was using alder plywood with solid fronts on it covering up the layers of the wood.

All the shelves and four compartments on top would have felt too.

Close to $2.3K with the felt added.

Wow this is an old thread, it makes me realize how much more gear I have and how at the time of the picture I thought I had all I needed.

I am too planning on building something for the guitars that stay in cases but I want to design it with the samller footprint possible.

I took the plunge.

Went for the no felt one.

Since this is custom built and there are no jigs/templates like with mass produced furniture, it is costing a bit more.

They will start in on it soon, and I have a week or so to decide on the stain for it.

Going to send them a picture of my living room furniture to give them an idea, but the carpenter here at work thinks my furniture at home is a walnut color.

So, maybe less then a month I will post the results to this thread.

Gets cold here in the winter so heat on all the time and air very dry. Summers very humid. I keep them in the cases all the time and use dampits in the acoustics. Also hanging or leaving on stands allows too much dust and dirt to get all over them, and risk of someone or a pet knocking them over. I suppose if you just collect guitars to look at then hanging them up all the time is why you have them, but if you want them to remain functioning and playable I say keep it safe in the case.

• 1 month later...

I really like the idea of having them on their side in a cabinet and the top of the rack free so you can put the case there, open it safely and jam. I noticed Jimmy Page has his sorted that way but his racks look like IKEA cheap shelves...which isn't a bad thing. I may go that route, I mean no need to get fancy,just sturdy will do.

For now, I make sure not to put mine on outside walls. I prop them on their side in their cases de-tuned in my closet if I know I won't be playing them...my Les Paul is tucked in a corner behind heavy furniture...I'd have to really want to jam her to get her out. I misplaced my wall mounts, but as soon as I find them I'll be taking a couple of girls off the floor. I have one leaning against my bed at all times, it is embarasing and dangerous (Teisco, NOT a Gibbie, but still).

• 2 weeks later...

SNEAK PEEK

Just a bump for this thread.

I had mentioned in this thread I have a custom cabinet coming soon for all of my cases.

The store picked it up yesternight from their custom shop carpenter.

They have to stain it and put on the lacquer or whatever protective finish they use, and then add the four castors to the bottom.

Here are two naked pics for ya :D

It is made out of birch and will be stained mahogany.

I should have it delivered Saturday at the latest.

Ahhh, too cool, as I was typing this post, he just sent me the third pic of it with the first coat of stain on it.

sneak_peek1.jpg

sneak_peek2.jpg

sneak_peek3.jpg

I will get some nice pics of if this weekend with it loaded up with the cases and a guitar(s) laying on top of the closed lid which will be for minor surgery :D

Compartments are 1' deep, so they should hold a lot of accessories, and there are four of them.

for safekeeping/value preserving cases would be the best. And I suppose floor stands are better than wall hangers considering tension of the neck.

But none of my guitars are particularly expensive or rare, and I like having them all at hand if I want them, so 3 on the wall in the living room and 2 on stands in my office. pics to come, waiting on some parts before they're all "ready".

What the heck? You guys are stealing my TRADEMARKED design. I'm suing all you clowns!! [biggrin]

He he, your cabinet inspired a lot of spinoffs for sure :D

I like that other one in oak too, but I needed mine stained a dark color to match my living room furniture.

Hm. :-k I have a bunch a poplar logs in the garage...maybe I could get out the jigsaw for a couple of hours on the weekend. Don't have to worry about Tim either, I am too far from Him :D

[lol]

A couple of hours?

Slowcoach.

FWIW, here's a clip I made for some friends over in another forum.

It goes on and on a bit, I'm afraid, but it shows what I meant in my earlier post last year (#16) when I asked;

"Am I the only one here who stuffs them into the gaps left between bookcases and walls?"

Nowadays my G-J f-hole archtop lives propped up against the books to the right of the Dreadnought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKssvrTQBvc

P.

However, not everything is so unambiguous. <_< If a guitar is new when still dries not only nitro, but also a wood body (perhaps, no dried) including the neck the wall hangers will be better for the neck to fix its straight line by means of its own weight during a year or two at least (IMHO). It's like in the construction where the special plumb is used for the correct vertical line.

Archived