Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Storage/Display

thejay

Out of curiosity how does everyone store or display their guitars?

Is it better hang your guitars on the wall?

Is it better to have them on floor stands?

Is it better to keep them stored in their cases?

Right now, I keep mine on floor stands but I have often wondered if hanging them would be better. I have always been considered with stress on the neck but maybe it does not matter

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tons of opinions on how to display your guitars. I have most hanging in my guitar den, a few in cases and my acoustics on stands in my music room.

I've never had a problem with wall hangers myself. Just be sure to anchor them securely and cover the rubber where guitar is held. Some finishes have a bad reaction with it. Here's one corner in my den.

photo.jpg

During the work week they are in my cases except for the small Fernandes which stays on the wall all the time.

I have both Hercules floor and wall stands that are safe for Gibson's Nitro finishes.

Some stands may not be Nitro safe, and people will put cloths over the yokes and back rests.

I get out all the guitars during the weekend so as to have easy quick access to play them.

On vacation this whole week, so they will stay hung up all week and be ripe for picking.

The wall mounts must go through a stud if you use them.

They have many floor and wall mount styles on their site, the two below are the ones I use.

Floor stand

5.jpg

Wall mounts

25.jpg

I like that cabinet!

Kind of a PITA to store my cases now, something like that would be a great way to keep the cases organized, and room on top for polish, strings, cloths.

Right now all my extra stuff like that is in stackable plastic drawer totes.

I hang mine. But I have a dust issue. So I also take outdoor trash bags and make clear plastic dust covers for them.

Dust is the enemy. Doesn't take too long for guitars left out in even mildly dusty rooms to end up with crackelly pots and sometimes even a bit of neck stickiness.

On the other hand, displayed guitars get played more. And newer guitars with nitro finishes that are still curing seem to dry out faster when not stored in the case. Also, I just love looking at them.

Several months ago I bought three Honeywell Hepa air filtration machines for my place.

I get hardly any dust anymore.

For those of you with lots of dust, it might be worth looking into.

Here are the three that I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HPA-150-HEPAClean-Tower-Purifier/dp/B003DKFGYE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1347824124&sr=8-9&keywords=honeywell+air+purifier

Thread revival.

Taking these two pics to a carpenter at my work next week and see if he wants to take on this project, or if he can recommend someone else.

Using them for a rough draft, I will measure how deep my PRS cases are since they are a little bigger than the SGs case, and I will leave room for four cases if I decide to expand one more.

My little Fernandes stays on the wall full time.

353.jpg

e90b4c6b.jpg

Tons of opinions on how to display your guitars. I have most hanging in my guitar den, a few in cases and my acoustics on stands in my music room.

I've never had a problem with wall hangers myself. Just be sure to anchor them securely and cover the rubber where guitar is held. Some finishes have a bad reaction with it. Here's one corner in my den.

photo.jpg

I have heard it's not a good idea to hang them on an outside wall as you have done. Somthing about the cold or heat coming through the wall. Just a thought.

Archived