Gibson Brands Forums

Touched the tabu – Did the forbidden

E-minor7

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys sure know how to expose the creative muscle, , , Estaban Coral Sun Special Edition – oooooohhhhh.

Have to admit I enjoy a good clean thread-hit. 3 pages even before the topic is opened - this is a gold-record.

What will be the next. The pressure is rising. I'll be there in the midnite hour.

Okay, here we go – I sanded the braces of my Hummingbird True Vintage.

Thought about the possibility several times and as early as a few years back talked to an American luthier about where to start - (by then it was about my 1968 SJ). Not that the bird didn't sound good, not that it wasn't developing, but, , , I did try a couple of newer models since getting my '08 and they definitely were looser and slightly more projective. Where mine was born with this very tight thus precise character, the newer ones seemed less restrained, , , more free.

Now the ideal Bird/square to me, is a mellow voiced flyer. I want the low end to be almost doublebass-like and the rest to be sweet dripping nectar around the rather rough, almost primitive core, which is the basic nature of these creatures. That's pretty high expectations, but the Bird deserves them – and many, maybe not all, are able to fulfill such dreams - provide such qualities (at least over time).

I moved carefully and started with the lower tone-bars as recommended. My thin arm was just able to reach the one towards the bottom and after 20 strokes, then an extra 20 and 20 again on both, I felt how smooth they'd become. Then went on to the lower parts of the X. Gave them less, but enough to round the edges to some degree. Restrung and listened – yes, a difference there already : Looser !

Now played for a while, took a break, played, took a break, played, simply to manage the difficult phantomish A/B by approaching the well known guitar with empty ears as if nothing had happened. Decided to make a second go. Went in and gave the tone-bars some 40 brushes more and this time only the bass-side X-leg. Now after second restringing, the stings of course might have suffered a little power. That only convinced me about the effect of the raid. It was definitely looser, a tooth louder and therefor more bass-generous, , , , and glazed. Not only could I hear it, it was felt in the right hand under the first frets. The neck vibrated more than ever. I suddenly experienced the Bird coming out of the box in another way – it was as if it had grown. Compared it to the old stringed HD-28V – almost as loud ! Now that was something not to mistake. When I took up the pick the Bird thundered. Have to say that the mission had resulted in a less sharp/precise strum/flatpicking-sound - a slight touch of rumble had arrived. And of course – that's the logic on a plate right there. Must add also, that I felt the change bigger yesterday in the immediate wake of the trick than I did today. Haven't had time to really sink in to the Bird today, but will do during the next 2 hours. How much is real and how real that 'much' is, will be the focus. It's hard to measure as we all know ears change like flowers, but behind that lies the 'truth'. I'll continue reporting when I know more.

Now this was topic 1 -

Another just as important if not more important/interesting theme would be the ethics of all this. Have to assure you that I have no intentions whatsoever in the direction of selling this terrific Bird, but theoretically speaking we have a Q.

Is this deed to be considered a 'crime' and to which degree would I be 'forced'/would it be nessasary to tell about it in a sales situation. I underline again this is not the case here, but only bring it up as a subject for serious discussion.

All for now – I am hungry as a wolf and need a break. Will come back within an hour (after playing a bit). Look forward to your responses.

Best Thoughts -

Holy smokes . . . . how nervous were you going in with sandpaper in your hand?

Definitely no crime - it's your guitar and you have made it your own. I would consider it a minor adjustment, not necessarily a need to disclose in a sales situation unless asked about adjustments.

I'm very curious about this. As BK777 mentioned - have you got before and after clips?

I'm glad your experiment worked for you.

Interesting, very interesting. But 20 strokes with a piece of sandpaper is going to make bugger-all difference in the sectional shape or mass of a top brace. It might smooth the surface, depending on the coarseness of the grit chosen. After all, spruce is a pretty soft wood.

To play devil's advocate, I read that someone--I believe it might have been Ren--suggested that the roughness of sawn, unsanded braces added signficantly to the tonal character of a guitar. Scalloping, which requires both sanding and carving, is another issue entirely.

I am surprised at the amount of variability there is in the top bracing of my acoust guitars. No two are the same.

Aha! Same thing I'm doing with the Sovereign. Don't have heuvos to attack a Gibson mi amigo. Think the Soveriegn is going to take a bit more than a few passes with sandpaper, waitin for my fingerplane to arrive

Think the Soveriegn is going to take a bit more than a few passes with sandpaper, waitin for my fingerplane to arrive

Now Fred's a man with cojones. None of this wussy little sandpaper stuff.

I have to admit I've cleaned up the back braces of my old J-45 with a razor-sharp 1" scraper blade (typical old excess glue from brace repair), but I have a lot of experience in using that particular implement of destruction.

Now thats an interesting thought Stein, you just might be onto something ... a bit of a brace shave possibly ?

We have a winner here. He got it right. He definitely deserves a prize of some sort.

Might be a while. He's probrably shaving his double-braced beast as we speak. He might be too cramped-up to type.

Archived