Gibson Brands Forums

Taylor GO [GRAND ORCHESTRA]

JuanCarlosVejar

folks ,

this "new" taylor shape came out just a few days ago ... and I know we are not a Taylor forum or anything but I just thought you might want to watch these neat clips of the new shape ( they are doing every known style with the new shape) :

the piece Andy played is really beautiful and that particular guitar sounded nice to me .

what do you think ?

JC

Sounds very nice and bright, like a Taylor. I just traded in my Taylor 814ce -- a beautiful work of art (tobacco sunburst) and a great playing/sounding guitar. But I could not reconcile with their Expression System they factory install. I could never get that pickup system to sound pleasing to me despite my efforts. My only beef with Taylor is with their electronics -- I wish they gave the consumer more flexibility regarding electronics from their mass-produced models.

Never played a Taylor I would buy, even at a reduced price-point, but that's just pure personal preference. Really really dislike the bridge design too. For each price-point they do, there are other manufacturers out there who's output I prefer. Guess I'm just not a Taylor guy.

Sounds pure Taylor to me, and I mean that in a positive way, although, as EA would say, it's particulary well-suited to metro-sexual "thingie" music.

Now, I happen to like some of this type of music, but don't start casting aspersions on my manhood. I may be eclectic in my musical tastes, but I draw the line on that eclecticism in other matters.....

< Hahaha Taylor threads on here are always hilarious.

they are indeed PM. Taylors get little love here.. I just usually read on in amusement. Having two Taylors, I just go with "to each their own".

it is what it is.. For me I have never touched a Martin I would ever be comfortable playing. terrific guitars, just not for my hands.

I have a Taylor GS series, lovely playing/sounding guitar, this one seems to be a follow on to that line up but more more ornate.

The GS was pretty much a plain jane acoustic, the one I picked up in 06 is mahogany body and spruce top.

That was one of them "I am not leaving this store with out that guitar" purchase.

Never played a guitar that is more resonant and clear sounding.

again, some thing different for everyone.. It's all good

Never played a Taylor I would buy, even at a reduced price-point, but that's just pure personal preference. Really really dislike the bridge design too. For each price-point they do, there are other manufacturers out there who's output I prefer. Guess I'm just not a Taylor guy.

I'm with ya pm. With the bridge I find when your strumming cuts your hand not only that every female on earth plays them and its for good reason

They are replacing their jumbo model with this - claims it has clearer tone than the jumbo. Have to play one myself to see how it feels and sounds. Can't really tell what it sounds like playing through dinky little computer speakers. Only 300 being built initially (100 Rosewood/Spruce 100 Mahoganey/Spruce 100 Maple/Spruce)so will be very pricey initially. Have to agree somewhat with kebob about their electronics, the expression system reproduces accurately what the guitar is doing (to my ear)on low E,A,D, and G. But when you get up to the B and high E the sound quality really seemed to drop off. I had one of their 614CE (Maple/spruce)with the Expression system and thought it better than most acoustic pickups but not complete. Traded that one for a GS and instead of their expression put a B Band system into it and am very pleased with the tone.

Taylor guitars remind me of the NFL combines. If you look at the stat sheet, they score off the charts in all categories: fit and finish, action, balanced sound across all strings and up the fretboard, sustain, etc. When they hit the playing field, so to speak, they just can't play the game as well as others who possess virtues which don't show up in the stat sheets.

I owned 2 full sized Taylors, a 314ce and an 814ce, for over 12 years. Nice guitars in every respect but they couldn't deliver that earthiness, that grit that I wanted. They're too polite. Other than a D45 I played years ago, i haven't played a Martin that sounded good to me when I was playing it. I play Gibsons because they play, sound and look like I want guitars to be. Nothing wrong with Taylors if that's what you like. Just not for me.

Thanks for the vids, JC.

That is a very bright sounding guitar! On video.

My LG3 is a bright guitar, but with 50+ years of warmth melted in, and there are some songs I just can't get right with this bright sound, so this Taylor guitar would be unemployed at my place!

BluesKing777.

Hi everybody, long absence here. I have an 814CE and it has opened up to a really full tone instrument over the past seven years. Right now I am playing it the most, and I never thought that would happen. As for the the G. Orchestra, reading Wood & Steel right now. I just might have to find an excuse to get one. I like high end Taylors.

Bolt on neck...mostly C&C building...why on earth would one bother entertaining the instrument?

Is it cheaper..?.... Is it better sounding?...More for the money?... Is a name like Loar somewhere it its history?

They originate in the bad old days of the 1970's...yeech!

I have only played one..a guy handed me his for an hour or so to play with another friend out doors in late Sept. It was a top of the line 6 year old cutaway with very nice wood,he said he paid $3500 for it.

If my eyes were closed I would say it was a Martin. It was good. But for that much a real handmade plain base model from Lowden or Moll(retired now) is more special.

Anyway just an opinion & point of view one can consider when shopping.

That guy has a D41..& a black Gibson Acoustic in maple..and an expensive Martin Eric Clapton model..but the taylor he takes around and is his favorate he says.

If my eyes were closed I would say it was a Martin.
Hear where you are coming from, the evenness of tone, but the bass tips the difference right off the bat. Martins offer bass in spades; not Tays, which (as noted) play on the high end of the spectrum. Btw agree they are overpriced, given the bolt-on-cnc construction.

Hear where you are coming from, the evenness of tone, but the bass tips the difference right off the bat. Martins offer bass in spades; not Tays, which (as noted) play on the high end of the spectrum. Btw agree they are overpriced, given the bolt-on-cnc construction.

True..the D42 I have has bass presence.

Never played a Tailor. Never played a good Martin too. There are no dealers for these guitars in my country.

Love the sound of that Tailor. Sounds tender to me.

It is not a Gibson, yeah, but each train has its passengers.

Yea guys, I know. My name isn't Taylor or anything close. I've been playing Gibsons first for 50 years. Such is why I am here. I always end up with my Southern Jumbo in the end. On the Taylor matter, I bought the 814 CE new some six plus years ago, 'cause I like guitars. I've never sold an instrument, so it sat in the case and got a little attention every so often. But, it seemed stiff and thin sounding, until recently. Taylors are, indeed, " different". Anyway, my point was the one I own has now opened up and is full toned. Nice surprise.

Ok, here's a side by side take, Gibson and Taylor concert size models.

Nothing wrong with the Tay (512?)

But the Gibson? Tone with a capital T.

Not a fair fight, is it?

To be fair, the Taylor is played through a magnetic sound hole pickup and the Gibson is mic'd.

Archived