Gibson Brands Forums

Dancing.. do you or dont you

Rabs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like something my Dad told me years ago, I was going out to do my thing on Fri night and he stopped me and changed my life with these words of wisdom: "Don't give it away...Sell it!" [thumbup] +1 If I could plus you more than once, I would [biggrin]

TC

Lucky you! When I was a kid, I couldn't get laid in a whorehouse with a fistfull of $100 bills!

Hell yeah I dance...

I expect nothing less from an Astaire!

NEW theory: penis. Edit: as Astaire said, "macho thing."

With few exceptions ya'll are all boys and AND boys don't like to dance usually. My ex couldn't play an instrument and hated dancing. Maybe its a white male thing. Not to be racial, just saying...

NEW theory: penis. Edit: as Astaire said, "macho thing."

With few exceptions ya'll are all boys and AND boys don't like to dance usually. My ex couldn't play an instrument and hated dancing. Maybe its a white male thing. Not to be racial, just saying...

I think you're right, it is a male thing. Other than the whole "mating ritual" thing,, I never had any interest whatsoever.

I have tons of friends. I can say with great confidence that I can only think of a handful who truly like to get up there.

And actually enjoy it. The rest are doing it to get laid..

I can do a pretty mean Gay Gordons.

Other than that?

With me it's the total opposite of my approach to playing the guitar;

If there are rules - such as in Scottish Country Dancing - I can dance. No probs. I actually enjoy a lively 'Strip the Willow' and my 'Dashing White Sergeant' takes no prisoners.

If, on the other hand, it's a 'free-for-all' then I'm the proverbial 'Fish Out of Water' and I hate it with a passion rarely to be found in the civilised world

Like some others have also mentioned; I knew from the age of about 9 years old, with absolute certainty, that I wanted to be the one making the music - not just listening to someone else doing same.

But back to dancing;

I remember with diamond-cut clarity an evening in Edinburgh Uni's Student's Union watching a very close female friend of mine dance to some (musically very complex) Latin number and wondering, absolutely mesmerised, 'How on Earth does she Do That?'

Everything was either on or even just ahead of the off-beat and it was in something like 5/4-time but she was just 'Wondrous To Behold'.

More than any other thing that experience (and treasured memory) proved to me once and for all that I Can Not Dance.

P.

Depends on what you call dancing I guess? My wife loves to dance and want's to whenever we get the opportunity so I can and will stand there and do the man shuffle so that she can dance. I could care less what I look like dancing, I have a beautiful wife and she doesn't let me date so that's not an issue but given my choice nope. Maybe it is the music connection never thought about it but it's funny I hear a song a few times and and I know every word and every chord change. My wife can hear a song 100 times and not even know what it's saying or recognize the words on paper. She say's I over think music always wondering why they chose a phrase or something while she's just bopping along on the tempo.

Yes of course I like to dance! But not the normal way people go about it. Just can't, I'm usually plugged into an amp so movement is severely restricted. But, I do move around a bit when I'm playing guitar, but it's more like swaying with the groove I'm in and I think my guitars kinda like it too. [rolleyes]

I don't dance either but I have been known during gigs to jump out on the dance floor and do a Chuck Berry type duck walk while playing a lead break.

BTW: There was a time years ago that after I had quite a few ales I used to think that I could dance.

Not only do I dance, I readily admit to having been the Disco King. I danced all the time. I had folks I coreographed for competitions. See, dancing involved girls. Lots of gyrating girls.

I'm having a hard time finding the downside.... [biggrin]

Wish I had the coordination to dance. I'd totally do it. These days the signals my brai sends to my various limbs don't always end up at the receiving stations in hi-fi. Hate to say it but it affects my playing too, which sucks because unlike dancing, I used to actually be able to play halfway decent ;) Then I see a clip of someone like Lindsey Stirling performing and I think, son, you just ain't trying hard enough, haha.

Personal observations regarding dancing... [thumbup]

Dance is at the heart of much music...Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Bernstein et many al...

It takes a real man to dig ballet... [biggrin]

Mrs V et moi are lifelong enthusiasts of all forms of dance...ballet,ballroom,disco,Irish,Scottish,Morris :blink:

IMX most women are attracted to a guy who can dance,cook,hoover,tell jokes etc...

Many rock musicians use dance moves to enhance their performances...

Dance and music IMO are two of the highest artforms available to mankind... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Bill...that IS a joke! (it's actually a verbal joke as "bi" and "buy" gives away the punchline)...but you know me...I can't pass up a straight line!

I got the joke, and I thought it was funny. I couldn't add onto it without it going to dark places. [biggrin]

Archived