Gibson Brands Forums

Things your mom used to tell you when you were young

daveinspain

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I won't sew a parachute for you, but I'll show you how to sew it..."

I was 12. Mom said she had a friend who was dying of cancer and taught her sons how to cook and sew. I already knew basic cooking from Scouts, so... here was the bit on sewing.

Three years later she was gone in a car wreck. The knowledge of basic sewing became invaluable both when I first left home and then later when I needed to do sail repairs.

m

I always remember my Mom saying "Wait, just wait" every time me or one of my siblings would do something that, well, maybe we shouldn't have been doing for lack of a better description. I never figured out what she meant until I had kids of my own. Suddenly "wait, just wait" came into full perspective. [biggrin] History does seem to repeat itself LOL

My mother had me fixing things from as far back as I can remember. When I was about 9 my mother taught me how to rebuild the brakes on the car.

My dad was an air force pilot and would be gone for six months some times. "Wait till your dad gets home." Was the ultimate threat.

Here in the UK. We had the superstitions off our mum. 'Don't tap a knife' 'Don't put new shoes on the table'. Odd really.

never rock an empty rocker.....never let a bird in the house......never answer if someone calls your name that you can't see.....

but the one I got the most was.....DON'T touch the sink and rangetop at the same time!!

(the range was improperly grounded 220, and would LIGHT THAT AZZ UP if you touched both)

When I was a young little jerk

Dont cross your eyes, they will stay that way

Dont sit too close to the TV, you will get radiation. <black and white TV in the early 50s>

As I got a little older.

You want to explain to me this note from your school principal

If you keep cutting school, you will grow up and be a bum.

And of course, wait to your Dad gets home, I never waited though, guess I figured I was already in deep sh--. so why stop now.

Never listened to mom much and i think thats why my glasses are so thick [biggrin]

Edit; Not sure too many will remember this one. This was actually in one of those early 60's sex ed videos they had us watch in grade school. "Masturbation causes blindness". My mom used to remind us of this when she was suspicious of our activities. [-X

According to the thickness of my glasses, I quit just in time!

My poor Mom, I kept her busy.

" Wait til your father comes home"

"I guess if Johnny Calloway jumped off a cliff, you would too ?"

"Be nice to your sister"

"If you don't stop that your face is going to freeze like that"

"Please turn that down"

"Whats going on up there !?!?"

Here in the UK. We had the superstitions off our mum. 'Don't tap a knife' 'Don't put new shoes on the table'. Odd really.

As well as the usual English superstitions I used to get Indian ones as well. So an example would be "Its bad luck to have an upturned shoe."

.....never let a bird in the house......

A pigeon flew into our conservatory when I was about 12. It crapped on everything I remember being made to clean it all up msp_glare.gif

I was never allowed to watch the commercial TV channel, ITV, because my mum considered it low brow and would probably affect my learning. :rolleyes: It was BBC only - any other Brits experience that? So it had to be "Blue Peter" not "Magpie". "Swap Shop" and not "Tiswas" (where all the fun was).

I was never allowed to watch the commercial TV channel, ITV, because my mum considered it low brow and would probably affect my learning. :rolleyes: It was BBC only - any other Brits experience that? So it had to be "Blue Peter" not "Magpie". "Swap Shop" and not "Tiswas" (where all the fun was).

BBC learning zone only for me till I was about 10

Archived