Gibson Brands Forums

What Is Richlite?

Zentar

Richlite is the best fingerboard material on the market today.... A better fingerboard money can't buy.

Glad to hear you say that, as I was thinking in that direction. It's likely designed pretty carefully by materials engineers. As I understand it, it's a little harder than ebony, hardness being one reason ebony is coveted. And it looks like the blackest ebony, the only criticism might be that it looks too perfect. #-o

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, ok, I'll give you that. A bit of a stretch. It's just a reaction to all the "paper and resin? Pah! Not on my watch!" Stuff I see on the webs. It could be aluminium or plastic or something else truly wrong. Richlite has been around a long time and been used by a number of makers and I can't help but think that's because it really feels like wood, it works and it doesn't seem to have any great to negative impact on tone. I'm yet to read up on the result of a refret but it must be happening and there's no visible hoohah.

Yeah I was stating in very basic terms calling it paper and glue (I did say of sorts :))..

I was just humouring the op really... Of course theres nowt wrong with it and personally it wouldn't stop me buying a guitar if I liked the rest of it. My initial experience wasn't great but that's the only experience ive had with it and I know enough to trust people on here if they say its good.

I still like rosewood and ebony though..

But it does raise an interesting thought................

As an electric guitar? Why not?

:-k

P.

they make acoustic guitars from carbon fibre - I imagine they would be very light and less (if at all) prone to expansion/contraction with temperature and humidity changes.

1436548892[/url]' post='1674866']

Richlite:

A synthetic material that makes manufacturers rich, and your wallet lite...

Learn something everyday. I wasn't aware that they used Richlite on guitars. I'm a fan of Ebony and Rosewood also. Ebony is used on other things too. Since I was a chess set collector, I have fine chess sets and some are made of Ebony and Rosewood. One set the King is 3 5/8" tall. Yes, and look at all the composite wood being used on houses today, but prices for housing isn't dropping. It's a rich mans world. Cheaper material for higher costs.

Just to say this, I once took a designing course in college and the teacher was giving us a lesson in marketing. He explained the 1st iron made had like one steam hole on the bottom. Someone figured if they put 3 holes in the bottom it would sell better so they drilled 3 holes in the bottom but only one was a steam hole and the other 2 were dummy holes that didn't do anything. The public flocked to buy the product and so the story continued with more holes in the bottom the better the sales and eventually more steam holes were made. Welcome to Designing 101. msp_crying.gif

I prefer ebony over rosewood fingerboards, personally.

And that said, I prefer bare maple neck fingerboards above all.

And I don't really care about which political party opposes the harvesting of the woods required to make my guitars.

I just want guitars to be made out of real wood.

Thanks.

:mellow:

And I don't really care about which political party opposes the harvesting of the woods required to make my guitars.

I just want guitars to be made out of real wood.

Thanks.

:mellow:

I don't want guitar manufacturing run out of the United States which is what DHS told Gibson. They told Gibson to move to Madagascar. Both parties should support US manufacturers but they don't.

Guest Farnsbarns

I don't want guitar manufacturing run out of the United States which is what DHS told Gibson. They told Gibson to move to Madagascar. Both parties should support US manufacturers but they don't.

Really. How do you know that? What's the source?

I would think it went something like "if you don't want to go through the channels with the appropriate paperwork and pay the fees you can avoid that by moving to Madagascar" not just "move to Madagascar".

I would think it went something like "if you don't want to go through the channels with the appropriate paperwork and pay the fees you can avoid that by moving to Madagascar" not just "move to Madagascar".

That sounds a little more plausible. I don't know what interest the Department of Homeland Security would have with lumber import or guitar production, though.

My Jeff Waters Flying V has an ebonol aka richlite fingerboard and it is great, pinch harmonics are easier to achieve.

I am not sure what fingerboard material I prefer because I suck at guitar anyway.

That sounds a little more plausible. I don't know what interest the Department of Homeland Security would have with lumber import or guitar production, though.

I wouldn't think they'd have any interest in endangered species. CITIES should be under the jurisdiction of the USF&W Dept. I've dealt with them in the past and just recently (for Indian Pythons) and they've always been just fine with me.

Getting back to Gibson, I've also read everything from SWAT teams storming the factory to simply a bunch of government employees in casual dress overseeing a rather low key operation.

They were never charged. The warrant was sealed. It was never revealed who made the complaint but it was an official from the Executive Branch. They were refused the right to go to trial. It is extremely likely that the DHS Director Janet Napolotano was the accuser. She ended up having to leave the DHS and is now the president of U of California at Santa Barbara where the Elliot Rogers mass shooting was held entirely on UCSB campus and has been heavily suspected of being a faked event.

This politically tinged stuff is totally boring.

Go to a political forum to play in the endless dirt.

As for Richlite and it's earlier cousin Micarta,

it's got it's place, but not on my guitars.

I simply prefer seeing & touching wood.

That statement is rich in innuendo and lite on facts. :lol:

They were never charged. The warrant was sealed. It was never revealed who made the complaint but it was an official from the Executive Branch. They were refused the right to go to trial. It is extremely likely that the DHS Director Janet Napolotano was the accuser. She ended up having to leave the DHS and is now the president of U of California at Santa Barbara where the Elliot Rogers mass shooting was held entirely on UCSB campus and has been heavily suspected of being a faked event.

If knowledge is power then speculation is bluster. [rolleyes]

As for Richlite and it's earlier cousin Micarta,

it's got it's place, but not on my guitars.

For the record, despite richlite's excellent stability and hardness qualities and looks, if I had a choice between richlite and a dark ebony fretboard, I'd go with the ebony too. But as a player of less-expensive guitars, as a substitute for black ebony, it doesn't get much better than richlite.

the Elliot Rogers mass shooting was held entirely on UCSB campus and has been heavily suspected of being a faked event.

I thought this thread was about richlite.

On an unrealted note, that shooting in South Carolina was a false flag in order to take down the confederate flag. (no pun intended)

infowars.com man!!!

[rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes]

This politically tinged stuff is totally boring.

Go to a political forum to play in the endless dirt.

=D>+:-@

I thought this thread was about richlite.

Correct. As in the original post and 1st page.

Archived