Gibson Brands Forums

What foods do you hate?

Mr. Gibson

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man that is beautiful! Well done pup!!

What's your secret for making the rice? Is it essential to have a rice cooker or can you do it on the stove?

Thanks, man! Yeah, the rice was the part I was worried about. I'd never made sushi rice before, but it turned out great. I followed the recipe from the Food Network... and it worked fine on the stove.

Thanks! Gonna have to try that. Not sure I can find tuna that fresh so I may have to try spam musubi or somethin

We got pretty lucky.... found schools of them right near shore. Doesn't happen often, unfortunately.

There's some ultra-expensive coffee made from coffee beans that have been eaten and crapped out by some type of rodent. Its become very trendy to drink the stuff, apparently. I don't care if it tastes good, I refuse to drink turds!

I know theres one called Weasel Coffee =;

Forgot about that. Terry Bradshaw once said something to the effect of "Where I come from, that call that stuff bait". I tend to agree. Not into uncooked seafood, no way, no how.

I was once like you. California Grill, up on top of The Contemporary in Disney World, changed my mind and palate completely. It's true to say I only eat it there, but man, they have a wine list to go with anything, and they can pair up anything they are making tonight, it is just to die for.

Tartare and Carpaccio are French and Italian raw beef dishes. Awesome stuff when done right as well. Most European, Asian, and Middle Eastern cultures have some form of raw meat dishes, and we've had most of them in our lives.

rct

Once my wife's mother made a lime jello with carrot slices inside and cool whip on top for a party we were at. So latter I tried a slice and about puked. The whipped topping hid the Miracle Whip 'or Mayonnaise' in the jello. Yep, lime jello, mayonnaise and cool whip. For desert. I caught her stealing some bananas out of a trash can before. Yes, she used to trash can shop people's garbage for things thrown away she could use. Those bananas were black, gross and very mushy, greasy, just bad. She made banana bread with them and brought it over for us to eat. So I never ever eat anything from their House! And when she left I threw that banana bread away. Trash people took it.

Join the club.

I haven't set foot in a McDonald's in over six years now.

:unsure:

Before my son was born, my wife and I read an article that said: "A three year olds favorite vegetable is a French Fry." I just about puked. I have not been to McDonald's since then and that was almost 13 years ago. I just can't see enculturating my son to eat that way just because Ronald McDonald raised me...

I'm not saying I would't eat McDonald's, but hopefully I won't put myself into a position to have to eat it again.

Hamburglar out...

I like McDonalds. A love a big Mac every once in a while.

I like most everything except stinky cheeses like blue cheese, liver and head cheese.

When my wife was pregnant she had cravings for liver and would grill it up at 4 in the morning. Nothing worse than waking up to the smell of liver except....

My poor Lithuanian grandparents loved head cheese and always had it in their fridge when I was young. It makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

What really put me off MacDonalds several years ago...

Was when I ordered their set breakfast

The portion was very small and came on a plastic disposable platter

Poor quality food and more plastic waste to deal with.... :blink:

V

:-({|=

Once my wife's mother made a lime jello with carrot slices inside and cool whip on top for a party we were at. So latter I tried a slice and about puked. The whipped topping hid the Miracle Whip 'or Mayonnaise' in the jello. Yep, lime jello, mayonnaise and cool whip. For desert. I caught her stealing some bananas out of a trash can before. Yes, she used to trash can shop people's garbage for things thrown away she could use. Those bananas were black, gross and very mushy, greasy, just bad. She made banana bread with them and brought it over for us to eat. So I never ever eat anything from their House! And when she left I threw that banana bread away. Trash people took it.

I don't like the idea of using bananas from a trash can because who know what else was in there or when it was cleaned last. That being said, the recipe for banana bread calls for really ripe ( black banana peal and gooey bananas ) The riper the better. Best option is whenever you have bananas that get too ripe in your house, don't throw them away, make banana bread!

I honestly liked the Big Mac, and would generally crave one about twice a year.

Eventually it got to where I would go into a McDonalds and then end up leaving because of slow, lethargic, and careless service.

That and the trashed-up dining area.

The food is the food, and it's no better or worse than any other burger joint I suppose. Average at best.

But I kept encountering the same scenario at one McDonalds after another, over a period of a year or so, across many locations;

Lazy, inefficient, disrespectful cashiers.

Dirty and unkempt dining areas.

Abysmal restrooms.

And I found myself looking up and down restaurant rows in a variety of towns, and seeing dozens of other fast food places, all of them cleaner and more efficient than Mickey D's.

So, for a rare visitor to fast food restaurants like myself, the choice was clear.

McDonalds was out.

So, with three metrics in mind (quality of food, sharpness of service, and cleanliness of the restaurant) I have formulated this top five list of the best of the fast food joints.

(Based upon my experience at such places in Alabama, Tennessee, Arizona, Texas, Mississippi, California, Florida, and Georgia over the past two years.)

1. Chik Fil A

2. Bojangles Chicken

3. In And Out Burger

4. Jersey Mike's

5. Burger King.

I would love to include Hardee's, Wendy's, KFC, and Subway, but sadly, their service and cleanliness has been hit-or-miss.

Some places have been good, most have not.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

[unsure]

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The above posting is the personal opinion of the poster Sparquelito, and his alone. No connection between his opinions and the Gibson Guitar Corporation and/or the Gibson guitar web forum is implied.

I can accept if you guys don't like cilantro, but to smother a taco in lettuce and cheese is a crime. Adding sour cream is punishable by death.

Here in Chicago they call lettuce and tomato tacos gringo style. But I agree that the fewer items on a taco, the better. That means your carne asada or lengua better be well seasoned.

Re; cilantro, I once hurt a lady's feelings rather badly at a Sunday NFL football-watching get-together in Texas a few years ago.

People need to understand what a polarizing herb cilantro is. Try to think of another food item that brings out these types of reactions.

My poor Lithuanian grandparents loved head cheese and always had it in their fridge when I was young. It makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

My wife turned me onto fromage de tete and now I love it. The great thing about the snout to tail butcher movement of the last 10 years or so is that you can find local places that make their own. TBH, it tastes like high end Spam to me.

[lol] More for me...

Caught a bunch of these little tuna last Sunday...

IMG_7126.jpg

This was dinner...

IMG_7133.jpg

You're killing me, brother. It's been a while since I have had great sushi and now I am craving a big plate of sashimi. That tuna looks rich and fatty; just the way I like it.

Reference my earlier post about not being hugely enamoured of Tuna...

Seeing pics posted here I am reminded that Tuna can be deeply coloured

So....notwithstanding my love for salmon and occasional mackerel

I guess I'm just a downhome white fish aficionado... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

People need to understand what a polarizing herb cilantro is. Try to think of another food item that brings out these types of reactions.

Oh, that's easy, EVOL.....

Marmite_zpsmcllhygj.jpg

I quote;

"Marmite, that tar-like extremely savory yeast extract beloved by British people and despised by almost everyone else, is so proud of its ability to arouse such opposing passions that it has designed its entire publicity engine around it. The website asks you to choose: Love It or Hate It? Each takes you to a different version of the site. Their TV advertising even capitalized on the strength of people’s reactions to the stuff, both pro and con. Marmite has become so well known as a polarizing product that there is something known as “the Marmite Effect” to describe something that provokes extremes.

The British like to think that you have to be raised on Marmite in order to develop a love for it. Certainly, coming to its pungent flavor late in life is not likely to result in quite the same following as a native consumer. There is no middle ground, no mild tolerance. It is so firmly embedded in the taste buds of the patriotic that it has been included in the rations of British troops from WWI on. For those living abroad in places where it can't be found on supermarket shelves, it is considered black gold, something to be devoutly treasured, with every last sticky smear scraped from the inside of the dark jar by the tip of a butter knife.

Marmite is made primarily from the sludge leftover from beer production — brewer’s yeast. It is very rich in B vitamins (including folic acid) and minerals, vegetarian, and very good for you. It is traditionally spread thinly on buttered toast, though it also makes for flavorsome stock and a hearty drink when mixed with water."

I'm not even allowed to open the jar (*) - let alone actually eat the stuff - when my wife or daughter are in the house.

Pip.

(*) - If I can find it, that is. Recently my two treasures have taken to hiding it from me in an attempt to 'cure' me of the habit.........

Oh, that's easy, EVOL.....

I stand corrected!

Because I live in a major US city, you can find the stuff here. I bought a small jar years ago just to try it. Thought it tasted minerally/metallic. Not bad, but certainly not something I would eat every day since I like nut butter and jam on my toast. If it is that good for you why knock it?

I stand corrected!

Because I live in a major US city, you can find the stuff here. I bought a small jar years ago just to try it. Thought it tasted minerally/metallic. Not bad, but certainly not something I would eat every day since I like nut butter and jam on my toast. If it is that good for you why knock it?

Presumably the most moderate opinion of Marmite ever documented :P

Archived