Gibson Brands Forums

I hate Fenders

cookieman15061

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its odd...The Strat bodied Squier I have (white USA 1990 I bought my last NGD) is VERY comfortable. The SG is no longer my go-to even though the action is a bit higher than on any of my Gibsons. I FLY now when I touch the LP or SG after training on the Squier, but I really like the crunchy sound of the Squire and how good it feels against my body, not to mention that it isn't super-heavy OR dipping down like the LP or SG.

I never thought I'd like Fenders ever, now I'm keeping my eyes open for a Duo Sonic and a light USA Tele.

So twiz which one of your teles do you play more often and why?

I play the sunburst more. The single coils are still something new to me. Tele > Big Muff > Vox has been my jam for the past few weeks.

The Mustang IMO is one of the true greats from the House of Fender...

Terrific ergonomics

And a potentially huge sound....

Dig it, Ride it, Crank it, Smell it... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

The Mustang looked like one I was going to love but when I tried several...nothing. It didn't have the "huge sound" you mention. I tried a Thinline RI Tele and the ridiculously heavy Jhon 5 Tele on the same amp and setup with wow results so it wasn't the amp.

What's the deal? Do you have to switch the pups? I really like the shape and look and feel but it didn't do a thing to my ears. :unsure:

The Mustang looked like one I was going to love but when I tried several...nothing. It didn't have the "huge sound" you mention. I tried a Thinline RI Tele and the ridiculously heavy Jhon 5 Tele on the same amp and setup with wow results so it wasn't the amp.

What's the deal? Do you have to switch the pups? I really like the shape and look and feel but it didn't do a thing to my ears. :unsure:

A quick look at the wiki page reveals the many big name players who have squeezed the Mustang to good effect... [thumbup]

Personal inspirations being Hendrix, McLaughlin, Cobain, Winter and many more...

IMX playing a Jazzmaster extensively helps in getting big tone out of the Mustang

The ergonomics and unique switching of both guitars make for interesting experimentation

A simple amp set-up with some delay and/or reverb is a good starting point

As ever, much tone is in the brain/fingers...

V

:-({|=

JeffsGuitarsandAmps644.jpg

I love my Fenders and would never get rid of them. The one on the left is a 2006 modified, MIM Standard which has Fender Locking tuners and a Mint Green Pickguard w/ Mint Green pup cobers and Knobs along with Graph-tech bridhe saddles. The one on the right is my 2006 MIA , 60 th anniversary Special Edition Strat which has 57/62 pickups and a Cubic Zirconia in the headstock.

i dont like them either !

ej1.jpg

EJ Strat RW

69tele_3.jpg

1968 Firemist Gold

telehr_1.jpg

52 RI Hotrod

telecus_1.jpg

Squier Classic Vibe Custom

jaguar_1.jpg

USA 62 RI Jag

strat_4.jpg