Gibson Brands Forums

Do you Smoke?

daveinspain

I used to smoke but was never a heavy smoker... Been through periods of many years without smoking at all. Now I'll have an occasional cigaret, it's hard not to living in Spain. Everyone offers you a cigaret when they light up to be polite...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quit Jan. 08 when the State of Illinois decided I couldn't smoke in a bar. Cold turkey with Nicorette gum......

Haven't touched a cigarette since.

The State is now nearly bankrupt.

I quit smoking pot well over a decade ago.

Never saw the point. It stinks and it kills you. Where's the upside?

Well said..there is no upside....smoked for 35 years, quite year and a half ago....now have 2 extra Gibby's to show for it..yay!!!..

When I was a kid you used to see adds like...this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAExoSozc2c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKMn-_aQoPk&playnext=1&list=PL3FF57E491C67848B&feature=results_main

it's no friggin' wonder we all grew up smokin'..shhhsh

Smoked regularly from 7th grade until I was 28, up to 2 packs a day, then gave it up. I got tired of hacking up brown loogies and got tired of sore lungs when I breathe. My dad smoked really heavy and had a heart attack at 45 and made it to 58 before he died of heart disease from smoking. Until I quit, I never knew how bad it stunk, its really an offensive smell and all around disgusting habit.

Smoked until I was 39. Use to smoke 3 packs a day of Marlboro 100's. They say health complications skyrocket for smokers over 40. I quit cold turkey. Put them down and didn't pick them up again. No gum, no patches. It was the easiest thing in the world that last time. The first 20 or 30 attempts were much harder :D!

Guest Farnsbarns

Pure pleasure.

Try a Cohiba (a real Cuban one) before you die!

I have a load of Cohibas which I've been ageing for about 7 years. I have lots of other Cubans too, some Monties, Romeo Y Julietta, Punch et al. I love a Cuban cigar with a good drink of something strong on a summer evening. Pure bliss.

I smoke cigarettes too and I hate it. Need to stop.

I have a load of Cohibas which I've been ageing for about 7 years. I have lots of other Cubans too, some Monties, Romeo Y Julietta, Punch et al. I love a Cuban cigar with a good drink of something strong on a summer evening. Pure bliss.

I smoke cigarettes too and I hate it. Need to stop.

Nah, can't beat a really decent cigar in precisely those circumstances you describe. Ahhhh, roll on summer!

Yes, the fags are killing me too but every time the Doctor goes on about it [-X I get more determined to carry on. Where did I read about Thanatos...?

I have met many 'born again' non-smokers like moi... [biggrin]

It was uber-cool in the last century, surveys indicating that 50%+ of the populace smoked...mostly cigarettes

The familiar, comforting smell of tobacco smoke pervaded many public buildings, restaurants, drinking houses etc

TV dramas, films etc made heavy use of 'character' smoking for punctuation

Then the amassed health data started to spoil the party, particularly the synergistic nasty effects of tobacco with alcohol... :blink:

And many people did not take notice of the insidious effects like gum disease and tooth loss attributable to smoking

Even the traditional 'lesser evils' of cigars and pipes have less credence nowadays

John Lennon was indeed right to 'curse Sir Walter Raleigh'

I am not sure whether these new fangled electronic cigarettes are harmless...flavoured steam with a nicotine dose... :unsure:

IMO social factors are a big hindrance to giving up...

V

:-({|=

Stopped smoking, and drinking, the same night...outside a bar, we used to play in,

and frequent, in 1972. I was never a heavy smoker (or, drinker), to begin with.

Don't miss either one, at all, since I stopped, and never have. One of the best

personal decisions I've made. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Sorry to say yes, but trying to quit AGAIN!

I was a very heavy smoker <over 4 packs a day> for a very long time.

I have cut it down to 1 pack a day, and working hard to cut that down even more.

Never smoke in the house though, and sense stopped playing full time dont drink at all, not even a beer.

I guit smoking about 30 years ago. My doctor told me that was the single most important health decision I ever made. The adverse effects that it has on damned near every part of your body is just not worth it.

Try it once. My mom caught me trying so make sure that never do it again she made me take a drag and then said swallow it and when I did I about puke my guts up. She then ask me if I wanted to do it again and I said No.

Cancer was a great stop smoking program.

A little scary though.

A little over 6 years ago I was diagnosed with kidney cancer. I was lucky

it was caught early. Had a nephrectomy and had the kidney removed.

So far so good.

The crazy thing was a few years after surgery, I actually picked it up again and smoked for a couple years.

Happy to say I quit a year ago this past February.

I enjoy alot of things I shouldn't. But smoking is by far the most ridiculous.

Archived